Tip to remove hard water deposits

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlash

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I had 3 windows that were getting hit by the sprinklers. They were so covered with hard water deposits you could not see through them. I tried everything I could find to clean them and the only thing that did anything was a razor blade and that would have taken forever.
I finally used citric acid and a green scrub pad to clean them and they look like brand new windows, clear as the day they were made.
I added 3 or 4 tablespoons of citric acid to a pint of water, soaked the scrubber, and wet down the window. Let it sit for a few minutes then scrubbed all the deposits off. It took less than 5 minutes per window.
I did the same thing to our bathroom sink yesterday and it looks good.
When I went to Ace hardware and asked them for citric acid and they said they didn't have it. I asked where their canning supplies were. They followed me and I showed them citric acid. It's used for canning.

Good to know, thanks for sharing. I used to use white vinegar and a rag, but I don't have that problem anymore. Do it when they are not in the sun and when the temps are cooler so it doesn't evaporate as fast. You can us a plastic scrubby like a Scrub Daddy, but some 3m pads may scratch so be careful.

What about a small wooden stake next to the sprinkler? Effectively blocking the water from hitting the window. A friend of mine once had the problem until he moved the sprinkler next to a metal clothesline pole. The pole was just big enough to keep water from hitting the window... its easier than scrubbing the window.

What about a small wooden stake next to the sprinkler? Effectively blocking the water from hitting the window. A friend of mine once had the problem until he moved the sprinkler next to a metal clothesline pole. The pole was just big enough to keep water from hitting the window... its easier than scrubbing the window.
:ghostly: There you go, move the sprinkler to the clothesline pole in Peanut's friends yard. That should greatly reduce the overspray onto your windows.dancing chicken

OK, that was a joke on my part, but that is good advice from Peanut. :thumbs:

I'm all about working smarter, not harder. In case your sprinkler is in ground... using an empty dish washing detergent bottle would work. Put metal or sand in the bottom, anything heavy enough not to tip over. Moving it to cut the grass is still easier than scrubbing windows. Paint it green and most people wouldn't notice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back