Tips For Growing Herbs Inside Please

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katlupe

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I would like to grow some herbs in my apartment. I miss the ones I grew outside at my house. I need to grow parsley and cilantro for my little house bunny, Rabbit. Should I buy a plant or should I start it from seeds? And do you think they would grow year round inside? I wish I could grow lemon balm inside too, but I doubt that.

Thank you, I will study these tonight.

Hey there @katlupe -- I think you'd have to keep a continual supply growing so as not to run out. I tried growing cilantro from seed this season, in pots, and had two seeds sprout. They both bolted, unfortunately I put them outside, it was too hot for them and they died!
It looks like there are a few different herbs to grow that are okay for rabbits.
We hope to see a photo of your rabbit.

Hey there @katlupe -- I think you'd have to keep a continual supply growing so as not to run out. I tried growing cilantro from seed this season, in pots, and had two seeds sprout. They both bolted, unfortunately I put them outside, it was too hot for them and they died!
It looks like there are a few different herbs to grow that are okay for rabbits.

Yes, a big supply for my little bunny boy!
banana_time_600.JPG

Dinner company? ;)

Dinner company? ;)
Bite your tongue! Not this little boy! Though he is a meat rabbit and if an owl had not picked him up and dropped at my house, he probably would have been long ago eaten. No danger of that here.

Gee, you said little house bunny but he looks rather large to me!
Does he use a litter box? I've heard people let their pet rabbits be around in the house free of cage.
I hope he's good company.

I call all my animals, even my horses, little girls or boys. He is my little darling, but he is a Californian rabbit and they are meat rabbits. He does use a litter box that is in his cage and I leave the door open so he can go in and out as he pleases. His water dish is also in there and a bedding area, because he eats mostly hay, it is all in his cage. He has free run of my apartment and does great. I did not actually litter train him, I believe it is natural for a rabbits, as for cats too. He is neutered and once that is done, then he never had any kind of accidents with peeing. He is a happy little fellow and greets visitors to my apartment. My neighbors call me the "the rabbit lady." I like that name.

I will be taking cutting of my herbs this month so I can grow them in the bay window this winter. I have a grow light that the hubby put up for me.

Since all the trees have grown so tall after 30 years I need the light. I used to be able to just use the natural light since the window is south facing but not for the last 5 years or so.

Nothing like fresh herbs in the winter for soups and salads

I will be taking cutting of my herbs this month so I can grow them in the bay window this winter. I have a grow light that the hubby put up for me.

Since all the trees have grown so tall after 30 years I need the light. I used to be able to just use the natural light since the window is south facing but not for the last 5 years or so.

Nothing like fresh herbs in the winter for soups and salads

I am going to learn to do this. I had a number of raised beds for herbs and I find I really miss them. The ones you buy in the store, fresh or dried, just do not measure up I have some big windows with lots of light. My brain is working on this idea, that is why I started this thread.

I started a few little pots of herbs and going to see if they grow. If not, I will try to get plants already started but shoot, I have always started my own garden plants.

The heat mat will keep my seed trays about 20 degrees warmer than the surrounding air. In my shop that is around 80 degrees.
The LED grow light is about 2 inches above the top of the plants.
I bought some grow light hangers with ropes so I can move it up as the plants grow.
You don't need the light until the seeds sprout.

It's on a timer set to be on for 16 hours then off for 8 at night.
We planted a bunch of flowers and vegetables and the germination rate was great.
The corn was 90% successful.
My wife had flowers sprouting in less than a week.
Last spring I saw the complete kit with a grow light and a heat mat on sale for $29.99.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098R0600/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074753J5V/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I cheated. My little pots did not start. Not even one. So I bought an AeroGarden and will see how it works. If so, I have room for a second one for herbs. I need fresh salad greens and herbs, not only for me, but for Rabbit too. This indoor garden is electric and does everything automatically. I love high tech and this is it. There is another model that attaches to your wifi but I did not want that. The LED lights are not even warm to touch after being on for hours. I will keep you informed on how I do with this.

AEROGARDEN0_600.JPG

The heat mat will keep my seed trays about 20 degrees warmer than the surrounding air. In my shop that is around 80 degrees.
The LED grow light is about 2 inches above the top of the plants.
I bought some grow light hangers with ropes so I can move it up as the plants grow.
You don't need the light until the seeds sprout.

It's on a timer set to be on for 16 hours then off for 8 at night.
We planted a bunch of flowers and vegetables and the germination rate was great.
The corn was 90% successful.
My wife had flowers sprouting in less than a week.
Last spring I saw the complete kit with a grow light and a heat mat on sale for $29.99.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098R0600/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074753J5V/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

BackL that is a really good price on the heating mat. :great:. Last time I checked they were like $30 for one that size.
So we used a sting of outdoor xmas tree lights. They worked great too. We put them under water proof seeding trays in greenhouse and kept doom top seedlings nice and warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been debating about getting an Aero garden for about 2 years now. Just never did it. What size is that one?

Cilantro does better in cool weather. It does bolt in the heat. It is better in the spring and in the fall. Indoors, I think you could better moderate temperature and sunlight.

Latest posts

Back