Tips for Moving

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes moving is a necessary evil... but I try to view it as an opportunity to streamline my life, get rid of (or donate) heaps of stuff no longer needed, evaluate what is really important to me, etc. I have less stuff now, but much of it is really nice, like tile art and cool framed pictures... much of it also has great sentimental value, like those travel posters from Europe that have been in my family for over half a century. I ain't givin' up my travel posters! Lol... not that I wanna go back to Europe, not with all the stupid travel requirements (like Covid jabs). The posters are excellent reminders of life in better days, long before the globalist scourge hit the planet... sometimes living in the past is good, especially compared to this fraudulent BS and globalist pedo queer trash we're seeing in the U.S. today. So I'll keep my reminders of better times, ya know? I don't have a problem with dwelling in the past, as those times were GOLDEN compared to this BS we're seeing nowadays... in a way, it's like dwelling on all the primo sailing voyages I made in the past, though I no longer live near the ocean. No worries, the dirty globalist swine can NEVER take away my good memories! So p!ss on 'em, lol... :cool:

@dademoss Great place! I didn't realize it was so large. As many places as i lived... not sure when it happened but i came to despise stairs! The last thing i wanted to do is come home from work and walk up a flight steps. Climbing stairs to go to bed is even worse. Never want to do either again, haven't in 20yrs now. I think you're gonna like a one level home.

@dademoss Great place! I didn't realize it was so large. As many places as i lived... not sure when it happened but i came to despise stairs! The last thing i wanted to do is come home from work and walk up a flight steps. Climbing stairs to go to bed is even worse. Never want to do either again, haven't in 20yrs now. I think you're gonna like a one level home.
Glad for the post, awesome place! Lori is SO smart!! Dave, start dressing appropriately!!😉

yep, there went opsec, don't tell the alaska crowd :p or look up my ham license when I move.
How did you tolerate all the neighbors?

Nice place, Dade. Is that the vinyl plank flooring? What do you think of it? I'm considering using it to replace all of the carpeting in my new place.
Here's what I'm starting with, and yes, I've already been over all the 70s jokes! :)
1692375747674.jpeg

Thankfully I'm getting a smaller house, but larger acreage, so there's a nice breathing space between me and any neighbors. And I plan to plant lots of trees for even more screening. I'm too old and cranky for a tight neighborhood like that.

Yeah, vinyl plank flooring, it's all the "in" thing here. I don't have an opinion yet, not moved in, but it looks good. We will see after a few years of dog and cats.. First thing I did when I got this place was pull all the carpet out. Carpet and pets just don't go well, and there is Roomba for Lori to train in the back of my car for the new house.

I lived within a 1/4 mile of here since 1965.

Compared to where I am moving from, that is wide open spaces.
Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 9.13.53 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 12.55.56 PM.png

Last edited:
My plan will cost me Pizza and some top shelf bourbon., or 2 men, 8 boys, and a truck. The plan is currently without form :p

When the good stuff is gone, free to good home will ensue, then a 20 yard dumpster. Everything fits in a dumpster when you have a chainsaw.

16 times in 33 years. We’ve been in this house 10 now and are celebrating our 43rd anniversary in a couple weeks. Not military.
Here’s what I learned:
When you have control of the move the best thing I always did was to pack our many glasses and cups in liquor boxes very heavily wrapped in paper towels. Forget wrapping anything a newspaper you have to wash it. When you’re unpacking you simply put the paper towels smoothed out or rolled up into a bag and you will use them for cleaning all the places that the apartment or house you’re moving to is still dirty.
2. Never try to move food. Never try to move food. If you have emergency supplies or preps that’s different because they’ll be securely wrapped. Cans break, bottles shatter, plastic Ziploc baggies burst open.
3. Things can go wrong during the move and likely will. Be prepared. With #4⬇️
4. Have a special different colored box, or 1 marked heavily with colored tape, that is for emergency supplies such as
scissors,
knives,
Band-Aids and first aid spray,
water bottles for the day,
instant coffee in case the move ends late as one of our sent it at 11:30 PM
A couple of cups that can go into a microwave at the other end of the move when you’re dying for a cup of coffee or something hot
Extra money. It always cost more than you think it will to fill up on gas if you’re doing them off or if you have to tip some movers, or buy lunch for the movers.
Duct tape, scotch tape, and clear packing box tape.
A zillion magic markers
More tomorrow as we’re going to bed!

Latest posts

Back