Tips of all kinds!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there no way to anchor a winch at the top of the ramp and hook the line to the wheel chair to help get it up and down the ramp?

I thought about a winch system, even priced a couple. A good idea but for my application it’s impractical. Going down the ramp a winch isn’t necessary. Going up a ramp has a bunch of issues. Usually it’s only one person helping mom or dad on the ramp. The easiest way to roll a chair up a ramp is by walking backwards and pull the chair.

Steering can be a challenge when pulling or pushing a chair up the ramp. But controlling the winch system and steering at the same time? Those little wheels on the front of a wheel chair have a mind of their own, move independently of each other. It’s even worse when the person in the chair tries to help steer by braking one big wheel or the other. Also, not to forget, it’s real easy to tip a chair over backwards.

I decided a winch would just add another layer of complexity and too much cost. Have to have some kind of remote control unit… or a track system to control chair steering. It’s simpler, safer and cheaper just to pull the chair up the ramp.

If worse comes to worse I'll use the front end loader on the tractor, pick them up and set them on the porch... 🤣

My BIL had a leg amputated so he was confined to a wheelchair.
The VA came to his house and installed a power lift to get him in and out.
It was like an elevator and worked really well.
Didn't cost him anything because he was 100% disabled vet.
That's not him but the lift is like his.

https://krausstairlifts.com/macs-0029.jpg

My neighbor is an amputee. They bought their home just a month or two before I bought mine. They had an elevator installed for her to use. When they have their annual holiday party, children are thrilled to ride it up and down. Since we both bought our homes in 1990, I'd bet it would cost so much more now than when they bought it.

I had a splinter when I was a kid. A guy told me his wife could get it out.
He held my arm under his arm and she used a pair of nail clippers to remove it from my hand.
She just clipped it out. Hurt like hell.:oops:
I asked where she learned that and she said in prison. They weren't allowed sharp instruments so they improvised.

Edited due to brain fart. Nail clippers not tweezers.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of those hoses either. I don't have any, but I have done enough house sitting for people who do. They are a pain.
If you have a garden hose, that you think you might use for fire suppression, buy a 3/4” hose. That will give you the best volume and pressure. I keep my hose on a reel for rapid deployment.

When I go camping I take my coffee made up homemade coffee pods.
I use unbleached muslin little bit bigger than a half dollar upper and lower disk.
Sewn with cotton thread.
Also I use my homemade coffee pods in a tea ball with a small chain with a small hook.
I use the hook to Cowboy Coffee Pot spout.
I like to drink my coffee, don't particularly like to chew the grounds.
I also make up homemade sewing kits.
Normally use Almints tins.
Make a small cushion to use as pin cushion.
Use a small plastic tube with stopper lid for the needles.
Have a pair of folded scissors, small measuring tape.
Use a magnet on lid for scissors.
Bobbins of thread 3(white, black, brown).
Been known to use pencil boxes too depending on the age of the child it's going too.

Last edited:
We were coming back from spending Easter with DW's relatives in Mathews LA and made a potty stop at a gas station.
I was having a puff by the car and a homeless guy came up and asked me:
"Can I buy a cig off of you for a dollar?"
I told him no.
Being a capitalist, that is more than twice what I paid for it, so why would I say that?
Here's why:
This is how it works...
You pull out your pack, hand him a cig and he hands you the dollar...
You of course pull out your wallet to put his dollar in, and with both your hands busy, he dives in and grabs your wallet.
Don't fall for it.

We were coming back from spending Easter with DW's relatives in Mathews LA and made a potty stop at a gas station.
I was having a puff by the car and a homeless guy came up and asked me:
"Can I buy a cig off of you for a dollar?"
I told him no.
Being a capitalist, that is more than twice what I paid for it, so why would I say that?
Here's why:
This is how it works...
You of course pull out your wallet to put his dollar in, and with both your hands busy, he dives in and grabs your wallet.
Don't fall for it.
I don’t smoke but things like this make me sad/mad. If someone popped him a knuckle sandwich the first time he pulled a stunt like that, he might have been an alright guy.

Have you seen the spray bottle of Dawn dish washing soap? I bought one and what a game changer. It really cuts grease, such as on the backsplash in the kitchen. Cleans the stove up so quickly. I used it to clean the outside of the toilet. Spot on the ceramic tile? Spray and wipe. When I have big pots to clean, I just spray them, scrub and rinse.
I am planning to clean my outdoor furniture with it.

What I am really wondering about is making my own spray, if it would be worth it.

Have you seen the spray bottle of Dawn dish washing soap?

What I am really wondering about is making my own spray, if it would be worth it.
I saw one sitting in the kitchen but I haven't used it myself.

Yes - you can make your own. Mrs. ZZ does it all the time with the "Dawn Direct Foam" bottle. She bought one bottle years ago and just keeps refilling it. I'll get the mix from her but it's basically some regular dawn soap, add water then shake.

Here's why:
This is how it works...
Don't fall for it.

My first thought is that he might be faster than me, but I bet he's not faster than my car.

Latest posts

Back