Tips of all kinds!

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The women in my life washed and reused stockings. I used them to stuff my teddy bear when I was 4 or 5.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Just a pinch of salt in your milk when you open it will keep the milk fresh longer.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Just a pinch of salt in your milk when you open it will keep the milk fresh longer.
I do this & it works.

You can turn frig down to 38 or 37 degrees to keep milk longer, but you may freeze the lettuce, because it is mostly water

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I try to only buy a pint of milk at the time but sometimes all the store has is 1/2 gallons. So, I always drop a couple of silver dimes (pre-1965) in the jug. The silver kills the bacteria and the milk stays fresher longer. I also put dimes in my water pitcher and my berkfeld water filter. Again, kills any bacteria, water always tastes fresh.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I try to only buy a pint of milk at the time but sometimes all the store has is 1/2 gallons. So, I always drop a couple of silver dimes (pre-1965) in the jug. The silver kills the bacteria and the milk stays fresher longer. I also put dimes in my water pitcher and my berkfeld water filter. Again, kills any bacteria, water always tastes fresh.
I have never heard of this. I'll have to dig out some silver dimes and give this a try. I try to drink a cup of milk at bedtime, so I do go through a half gallon of milk before it goes bad.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
liquid silver is something DW use a lot, so the dimes should work too. I heard of putting dimes in jelly, might have been here on this site.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My first clue that silver had medicinal uses was something I found metal detecting. I was at an old house place way out in the woods, nothing left but a mound of rock that had been a chimney. Anyway, I found a row of broken mason jars. Each jar had a silver dime in it. A jar with coins in it would be a nice find but a bunch of jars, each with a dime made no sense. This bugged me for a couple years.

I happened to be chatting with an old man one day, and I mentioned the row of jars… He knew the answer to the riddle. Back when most people didn’t have pressure cookers and waterbath canning was the norm… a lot of people put a silver dime in each jar when canning. This killed botulism in the jars…

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I’ll have to try the salt in milk trick.
I have lived in areas where the milk was almost gone when you pick it up at the store. This trick adds days to the life of milk and has saved me many gallons of milk over the years. I wish my parents knew this trick as I grew up on powdered milk and evaporated milk.

I'll have to try the dime trick, thanks. I wonder if a sandwich dime would work as most of the surface area is silver.

Last edited:

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Puppy Hack 1
I have a hard time bending over. This works well for me. I scoops the poops but it also picks up rocks, sticks and small boards.

Puppy Hack 2
dog harness- every puppy should come with a handle. Mine loves to run to the end of her leash and let the jerk spin he around. The harness helps protect her neck.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was raised on fresh cow milk, I got the privilege of gathering it myself, everyday of my teens.
So I never had milk that was old enough to spoil, DW makes biscuit or cornbread with spoil milk.
She also makes homemade yogurt, for gut health.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Peel fresh boiled eggs.

Latest posts