Tips of all kinds!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The women in my life washed and reused stockings. I used them to stuff my teddy bear when I was 4 or 5.

Just a pinch of salt in your milk when you open it will keep the milk fresh longer.
I do this & it works.

You can turn frig down to 38 or 37 degrees to keep milk longer, but you may freeze the lettuce, because it is mostly water

I try to only buy a pint of milk at the time but sometimes all the store has is 1/2 gallons. So, I always drop a couple of silver dimes (pre-1965) in the jug. The silver kills the bacteria and the milk stays fresher longer. I also put dimes in my water pitcher and my berkfeld water filter. Again, kills any bacteria, water always tastes fresh.

I try to only buy a pint of milk at the time but sometimes all the store has is 1/2 gallons. So, I always drop a couple of silver dimes (pre-1965) in the jug. The silver kills the bacteria and the milk stays fresher longer. I also put dimes in my water pitcher and my berkfeld water filter. Again, kills any bacteria, water always tastes fresh.
I have never heard of this. I'll have to dig out some silver dimes and give this a try. I try to drink a cup of milk at bedtime, so I do go through a half gallon of milk before it goes bad.

liquid silver is something DW use a lot, so the dimes should work too. I heard of putting dimes in jelly, might have been here on this site.

My first clue that silver had medicinal uses was something I found metal detecting. I was at an old house place way out in the woods, nothing left but a mound of rock that had been a chimney. Anyway, I found a row of broken mason jars. Each jar had a silver dime in it. A jar with coins in it would be a nice find but a bunch of jars, each with a dime made no sense. This bugged me for a couple years.

I happened to be chatting with an old man one day, and I mentioned the row of jars… He knew the answer to the riddle. Back when most people didn’t have pressure cookers and waterbath canning was the norm… a lot of people put a silver dime in each jar when canning. This killed botulism in the jars…

I’ll have to try the salt in milk trick.
I have lived in areas where the milk was almost gone when you pick it up at the store. This trick adds days to the life of milk and has saved me many gallons of milk over the years. I wish my parents knew this trick as I grew up on powdered milk and evaporated milk.

I'll have to try the dime trick, thanks. I wonder if a sandwich dime would work as most of the surface area is silver.

Last edited:
Puppy Hack 1
I have a hard time bending over. This works well for me. I scoops the poops but it also picks up rocks, sticks and small boards.

Puppy Hack 2
dog harness- every puppy should come with a handle. Mine loves to run to the end of her leash and let the jerk spin he around. The harness helps protect her neck.

I was raised on fresh cow milk, I got the privilege of gathering it myself, everyday of my teens.
So I never had milk that was old enough to spoil, DW makes biscuit or cornbread with spoil milk.
She also makes homemade yogurt, for gut health.

Still using a pinch of salt in milk.
Anyone seen this video or clean the washing machine?
I clean my coffee maker/ pot with vinegar, but never knew about cleaning WM.

Lying in bed, listening to the radio, and I got the giggles....they were talking about getting that big deer harvested, and deer scrapes...they discussed how one man always got the biggest deer...he told them his secret....he urinated on the deer scrapes...LOL...a biologist stated that the deer could only smell uric acid and ammonia from it....discussed it with hubby this morning, and he was laughing about our relative, Ikey....how we loved him and Jane...anyway, when they were all out at the farm place, Ikey had the boys put out the corn for the deer....and then he refreshed it...LOL....the next morning, not a corn kernel was in site...and Ikey did get some beauties....so there you go.....Pee on those deer scrapes....you never know....and as Ikey would say, "those deer loved every bite"

1632590519127.png

For a very long time these were nowhere to be found in my area. Recently they have been available and I stocked up on them. While they were not in the stores, I would put them in a lingerie bag and wash them in the washing machine with my kitchen towels. I can't stand to use them when they get stained and grubby.

Dryer delivered a week ago on Tuesday. Today, someone was finally able to get the right cord hooked up and I have a working dryer. My tip, if you go somewhere and order a new dryer and then have to wait for it to be delivered, ask at the time that you order about the new cord, or the possibilities of cords. It took me two weeks after I ordered the dryer (and washer) for them to be delivered. I have had 4 different service people in my home now, and on Tuesday, I have another service for the pickup of the old washer. They didn't take it because they said the turn off valves needed to be replaced. Plumber came and said no they didn't. Imagine that it could have taken me 4 weeks from the time I ordered until I could physically use them, if the delivery guys had been right. And, I told them when they got here to leave the dryer cord from my old dryer here. Nope, they took it. I went to HD and bought a new one, the same identical cord. Originally, around $25 for the cord, and I was not happy telling the clerk at HD, and she took half off. Ugh! Why don't people listen?

Dryer delivered a week ago on Tuesday. Today, someone was finally able to get the right cord hooked up and I have a working dryer. My tip, if you go somewhere and order a new dryer and then have to wait for it to be delivered, ask at the time that you order about the new cord, or the possibilities of cords. It took me two weeks after I ordered the dryer (and washer) for them to be delivered. I have had 4 different service people in my home now, and on Tuesday, I have another service for the pickup of the old washer. They didn't take it because they said the turn off valves needed to be replaced. Plumber came and said no they didn't. Imagine that it could have taken me 4 weeks from the time I ordered until I could physically use them, if the delivery guys had been right. And, I told them when they got here to leave the dryer cord from my old dryer here. Nope, they took it. I went to HD and bought a new one, the same identical cord. Originally, around $25 for the cord, and I was not happy telling the clerk at HD, and she took half off. Ugh! Why don't people listen?
They don,'t feel they have to listen! They did their (half ass) job, the rest is your problem!

Do not let them put the dry in the house until they give you the old pig tail. Then they have to do it.
Pig tail? Cord? The dryer came with two cords! Neither of the prongs worked in the existing outlet. But you know the one that was on the dryer that they took away worked! And I went and bought the identical one, and that is what is on my dryer and allowing me to catch up on so much wash.

Pig tail? Cord? The dryer came with two cords! Neither of the prongs worked in the existing outlet. But you know the one that was on the dryer that they took away worked! And I went and bought the identical one, and that is what is on my dryer and allowing me to catch up on so much wash.
Sorry none of us were around to advise or help when the delivery people balked on every aspect of the install option of the new stuff.

Ben

Sorry none of us were around to advise or help when the delivery people balked on every aspect of the install option of the new stuff.

Ben
I am, as well. The man who came and attached the cord today only wanted $10. I know tradesmen get paid much more than that. I wouldn't settle for $10. Then he said $20. That is still way too little for a tradesman. I recently met this man at a dog park that I visit when I was telling my tale of whoa about the dryer situation.

They are still jerks!

Back