Tire Preparedness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We had a conversation on another thread about equipment to change tires.

I gave up on lug wrenches. I have a cordless impact wrench and a 3 piece lug socket set which gives me six different lug sizes. My dad taught me a lot of useful ideas. I make sure it is freshly charged, and the spare battery, before any trip.
No more trying to stomp on a lug wrench, or twisting my back by pulling or pushing while bent over, or over exerting myself. Dad was in his 70's or 80's when he figured it out. I am sure benefiting from it now.
Heavy duty impact wrench is very useful, and much faster. You don't want to be on a roadside changing a tire any longer than need be.
I've looked a couple times at impact wrenches online. Can someone make a recommendation on what is a good one to have, but not over the top? The prices are all over the place. I've been looking on Amazon for ideas. Thank you.

I have an 18V DeWalt cordless impact and I'm pleased with mine. Shortly after I bought mine they came out with 20V and I would have bought that had I been shopping a bit later. There are even 40V models. There are many good ones to choose from. Read the reviews and choose the best one you can afford. You will likely only buy one so a few extra bucks now will mean little in the long run. I found mine on sale.

The folks were up visiting so Dad and I went down to Alaska Industrial Hardware looking for an impact driver. There was a deal where if you traded in a cordless tool you'd get $80 off plus a free battery and tool bag. On the way home I pulled into a thrift store, bought a $6 set of broken cordless tools and went home. The next day Dad and I went back to AIH and I picked up my new impact, with 3 batteries and a tool bag, and some impact sockets. Dad told that story for the rest of his life. He really got a kick how I got the tool without giving up my good cordless tools.

If you are going to use any kind of impact wrench, make sure to get impact sockets too, and if you use an impact to install tires, make sure not to over torque the nuts, a set of torque limiting extensions is cheap insurance, more wheel s come off due to over torque and stretch than under torque

If you are going to use any kind of impact wrench, make sure to get impact sockets too, and if you use an impact to install tires, make sure not to over torque the nuts, a set of torque limiting extensions is cheap insurance, more wheel s come off due to over torque and stretch than under torque

Lots of truth in that statement

Thank you. I was going to ask about what sockets to purchase.

I wondered about prices. I saw a wide range, but it seems as though $250 is a price that is reasonable, or in the right range. This is the kind of thing that I wouldn't know about. I don't want to be cheap, but I want quality without over paying.

The last time I tried to removed a tire it was on a small trailer and my air wrench would not do the job. Whoever put the old tires on used an impact wrench and hammered them as hard as it would go. I was buying new tires and the trailer was not really road ready so I was going to take the tires off and take them to the tire store. I just took the trailer to the tire store anyway and they did it.
That was a couple of years ago and I haven't needed an impact wrench since.

The last time I tried to removed a tire it was on a small trailer and my air wrench would not do the job. Whoever put the old tires on used an impact wrench and hammered them as hard as it would go. I was buying new tires and the trailer was not really road ready so I was going to take the tires off and take them to the tire store. I just took the trailer to the tire store anyway and they did it.
That was a couple of years ago and I haven't needed an impact wrench since.
I changed out the tires on my trailer summer of 2020. The trailer had sat for a few years and the tires were rotten. I struggled to get those wheels off. An impact wrench sure could have helped me then, and more recently when I couldn't get the flat tire off my car.

I use anti seize and a torque wrench and I make sure the tire store does too. 85-90 ft. lbs. You should never over tighten lug nuts.

Make sure and look at the torque rating of the impact gun before you purchase. Not all 1/2" guns are rater the same. I would want one with 1000 to 1200 ft lbs rating. Using a torque wrench will ensure they are tight and not over tight. Anti size like SD said is a very good idea

Latest posts

Back