Tirediron pedal powered bucking saw

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tirediron

Seasoned HillBilly
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Rural western Canada, Sunrise side of the Rockies
I built this saw pre 2012 in case the world ended on schedule. I would imagine most front flywheel exercise bikes are very similar, This one my former wife found at a second hand store, I think she paid $5 or $10 for it, not much at all. the rest is stuff that I already had, but I have some pretty diverse stuff.
the only mildly special thing is the bearing bore in the bar adapter, I machined it to an slight interferance fit in the 4 jaw chuck on my lathe, but a person could figure out a way around that, maybe hole saw to just a bit undersize and then hone it out . The rest is pretty straight forward, the hub of the flywheel has a couple of notches cast in it, and I welded a couple of tabs to the inside of an old chainsaw clutch, mine was a worn clutch drum from a husky 2100, the drive sprocket from the same. I would have to take it apart to see what I did to center the drum/ sprocket. the rest is just drilling a few holes

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 15
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The bar is a 24" , with 3/8 chain because that is what I had, If I was buying a bar and chain, I would look into 0.325 or perhaps 0.250, but I don't know how long of bars would be available. There is some length loss due to the flywheel, although that could be accommodated with a longer mount plate although the chain might be prone to slipping off in that case. I will stick to 3/8 chain, because that is what my chainsaws run.
I still have to improve the wood holder, but it does work. Video of it in action a few years ago, How to Build a Bike Generator with Control Panel

A little saw in action video, after a few improvements, few more things to go, the wood is Aspen, fairly dry, 6 - 7 '' the bit of my knees is to show pedal speed. 45 seconds to cut,

Attachments

• firewood 021.mp4
    17.8 MB
another video, with a few improvements on the rack. I accidentally pushed the wrong button, so it stopped before the end, but the problem before was starting a cut

Attachments

• firewood 004.mp4
    8.7 MB
A fairly quick solution for human powered wood transport I found it to be a lot less strain than just dragging wood and a couple more bucking shots,

Attachments

• firewood 005.jpg
    firewood 005.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 5
  • firewood 002.jpg
    firewood 002.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 4
  • firewood 003.jpg
    firewood 003.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back