Today, Saturday I just bought a couple grand worth of Silver

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are differing levels of probability for each type of SHTF event.

The likelihood that a Mad Max / The Road / Walking Dead apocalypse occurs, such that the entire society is reduced to a Dark Ages, subsistence living, hunter-gather society existence...I think that likelihood is low.

I think there are many more likely SHTF events that are much more likely.

One of those events is a simple (but catastrophic) economic collapse, where people lose confidence in the banks first, and then the paper that the banks hand out. People (and the authorities) will naturally look for other types of currency at that point. The authorities will try to reset the paper currency...they may succeed, or they may fail. If they succeed, then they will likely enforce an arbitrary exchange rate between the old currency and the new...but they might not be able to enforce that exchange rate on the market, and gold and silver might be very useful at that point in time.

I just don't think it is all or nothing: either the dollar is strong, or I'm only eating what I can grow on my property. I also think that not only is there a continuum of probabilities for me, between winning the lottery, and living alone in a zombie apocalypse, but that continuum of probabilities is actually a bell curve, with the probabilities at the extremes being very low, and the probabilities in the middle being very high.

Do I prepare for my ultimate disaster (an EMP)? Yes...even if the probability is low, the harm is great, so I prepare. Do I prepare for many SHTF events that fall far short of the worst case? Definitely yes, because I think those events are more likely, even if their harm is less.

My prepping is done on a risk based analysis, not harm based: Risk = Probability X Harm.
Low probability but very high harm can mean a risk that needs to be prepared for.
Low harm, but very high probability can mean a risk that needs to be prepared for.
If harm or probability approach zero (harm is mere inconvenience or almost impossible probability), then the risk is near zero and need not be prepared for...unless the complementary probability or harm approach infinity (certainty or occurring, or certain death of family if it occurs). The math is actually simple. The trick is to consciously and intelligently assign reasonably correct values to the two variables.
Good point. Sorry I didn't see any notification for your reply on here.
That's a good point. No one item is the best for time periods after a disaster.
No I don't go as far as zombies or alien invasion either.
Good point to diversify what you have to offer. I see their are other areas where my question was asked I can look at so I won't post any more questions here. Thanks for explaining your idea of it. Makes a lot of sense.

Gold up 2% ($47) today and Silver up 8% ($2.10) today. I'd say the market is a bit nervous with all this crap going on around us.....the CV nonsense with all the shutdowns, sabre rattling with China, the election, etc. Apparently there's folks out there thinking PM's are a safe(r) place to be. I have some PM's in my portfolio too, but much prefer the shiny stuff in my hands.

I think a big reason that gold&silver are going up is because of all the money printing by many different governments.
Our own Federal Reserve in 90 days 'printed' 386,000 "new" dollars every second of every one of those 90 days. Couldn't do that on a printing press. Plus Congress spent even more money than that in the same time period.

If your storing condoms, tampons ,and fish hooks ...be very careful.

Jim
Condoms are for emergency water storage. You can get a couple quarts of water into one and tie it off.

You can also put the water in it, tie it off, and drop it out of an 11th floor window just to see how big of a splat it makes when it hits the sidewalk. How I know about this isn't important. ;) Tequila may have been involved...

I think the fear of inflation coupled with the uncertainty of when the country will be 'allowed' to open back up AND the election are all contributing to the run up. Yup, folks are nervous.
Absolutely correct!
Folks are patting each other on the back because gold is now above $2,000 per ounce.
High-five.gif

This is great if you are selling now.
When people actually get around to selling theirs, it will likely be worth what they paid plus inflation.
What we are seeing is when everybody tries to jump on the same bus at the same time.
Buying gold is basically buying stock in a company with no employees working and generating income.
I won't even get into the new "tech bubble" that has obviously been inflating again lately.
Price-to-earnings ratios over 100? :oops:
Just because everybody is doing it doesn't mean it isn't lunacy.

I am very happy that I have some PMs. I have no intention of selling and that was never the plan.
All fiat currency (like the US Dollar) is destined to collapse in value. The PMs will always have value.

Same here HiWall. I bought most of mine in the 90's, never intended to sell it, short of takin a huge profit. I'll still buy a little here and there if I find a good price. But mine was nothing more than a little insurance for really bad times. Never was an investment

Gold is now up over $2,000....at $2,026.80. Silver is at $26.10, but if you're buying 1 oz silver coins/bars, be prepared to spend at least $4 over spot to get it.

Folks are patting each other on the back because gold is now above $2,000 per ounce.View attachment 47758
This is great if you are selling now.
When people actually get around to selling theirs, it will likely be worth what they paid plus inflation.
What we are seeing is when everybody tries to jump on the same bus at the same time.
Gold was up over $2000 per ounce and everybody was on fire to buy it. :woo hoo:
Today, gold is back to $1808 per ounce...about where it has been for years.
The big question is, how much money did they make?
Nobody ever talks about it when it goes down, which is when you should buy it.
Not when it is at record highs.
a078.gif

I was going to buy some silver dimes. I had just came acorss a little monet from selling mobile home and wanted some siver coins.
I called Swiss Gold. He said " lady I'm no going back their and count out $5000 worth of fimes right now"I told him no hurry and I'd wait a few days but also ask him why they sell them if they don't have a counter? So I never got any P.M.s.I never added up how many dimes it would be but its not like they are heavy.

Meerkat: I think they call that Constitutional Silver. They should be able to give you the dollar value by weight; not by counting coins. I never bought THAT much, but when I have they can give an exact amount without counting them individually.

I never buy metals to turn a profit. For my use only.
I wouldbt mind buying a bag of junk silver

Silver was low
Meerkat: I think they call that Constitutional Silver. They should be able to give you the dollar value by weight; not by counting coins. I never bought THAT much, but when I have they can give an exact amount without counting them individually.

Thanks Morgan I didn't know what it was alled but I read buying real siver coins was a good idea,gues I took it too much to heart.But he said he wasn't going back there and drag out a bag of dimes. I guess that was a lot of dimes.

Traditionally that would be quarters and dimes 1964 and before. You can see the difference when you look at the edge of the coin. Silver is a little more plausible, or maybe "budget friendly" to me. It is easier to fork out a few hundred for a roll of coins rather than $2000 for one gold one.

Traditionally that would be quarters and dimes 1964 and before. You can see the difference when you look at the edge of the coin. Silver is a little more plausible, or maybe "budget friendly" to me. It is easier to fork out a few hundred for a roll of coins rather than $2000 for one gold one.

AsI said I don't rememeber why I went with silver something I read, but one reason was they were suppose to be pure silver bascially anyway. And 12 to 15 yr ago the price was right and of course no comparison in price of gold coins.

I actually found a 1964 quarter in my loose change a few weeks ago. I've always heard that some 1964 coins are 95% silver and some are the plated ones. Upon inspection this one shows no copper on the edges.

About 20 years ago an elderly man passed on in my hometown. When his kids were cleaning out his basement he had around a dozen coffee cans full of pre '64 coins. The family never did say what it totaled up to, but imagine twelve of the old metal Folgers cans full of coins, and how much that would weigh...

I was going to buy some silver dimes. I had just came acorss a little monet from selling mobile home and wanted some siver coins.
I called Swiss Gold. He said " lady I'm no going back their and count out $5000 worth of fimes right now"I told him no hurry and I'd wait a few days but also ask him why they sell them if they don't have a counter? So I never got any P.M.s.I never added up how many dimes it would be but its not like they are heavy.
$5,000 worth of dimes at face value, you will have 50,000 dimes, and at 2.268 grams each, you will have 113,400 grams, in other words you will have 250.004205 pounds, that's if my calculator did the math right, lol

Pre 65 coins were 90% silver. Junk silver bags were usually dimes, quarters, and halves, maybe a silver dollar that was well worn. IIRC they were $5000 face value.
I always save my change and sort it. Used to find a coin or three out of 300 to 500 dollars of change. Last couple sorts I haven't gotten a single one.

So when my DW and I started looking into silver and gold, silver was just at $5 per troy oz., we hadn't come to fully understand the intrinsic values of those metals. The biggest thing we hadn't come to understand was the life cycles we sometimes get in the middle of, however, it didn't take long and we began to understand that we were at the beginnings of something big to come and that we had to put any fears aside and make some extremely vital moves for overall preparing for the really tough times that lay ahead. It's really amazing what has happened in just a few years, the freeze dried and dehydrated foods we bought not that long ago, probably within 10 years, has double and in some cases more than tripled in cost, silver is close to five times more than when we first bought it and gold, well, it's beyond most peoples ability to buy other than very small amounts. When you look at the predictions of economists, those that really know what's going on and what's going to happen, the figures for gold and silver could allow one to survive and thrive in a collapse of the global monetary supply. I feel bad that people are no longer in a good life cycle as everything from hereon out for prepping is going to be expensive and in large part unaffordable, look how hard it's become to get the ammo you need and what it's like for newcomers that "may" get one box for their new firearm, if they are even able to get the firearm. We are truly in a crazy new age, sorry to say some will not be able to prep the way some of us old timers have. As preppers in our community, we will try to help newbies as best we can but it would be a very good thing if they could add something, even if it's the willingness to stand guard duty when things go bad. We hope and pray that all of you have good supporting neighbors, we have and it's like a ray of sunshine, it warms our heart and lowers stress by a huge amount. By the way we really got into prepping, high gear, during Obama's first term, we saw things coming that were not going to have a good outcome.

So when my DW and I started looking into silver and gol...

. By the way we really got into prepping, high gear, during Obama's first term, we saw things coming that were not going to have a good outcome.

Same here.

Ben

I've always heard that some 1964 coins are 95% silver and some are the plated ones. Upon inspection this one shows no copper on the edges.
90% or not.

For US coins, no copper on the edges means 90%. The years aren't mixed. '64 and before are 90% silver. '65 and later are nickel clad copper (no silver).

Gold was up over $2000 per ounce and everybody was on fire to buy it. :woo hoo:
Today, gold is back to $1808 per ounce...about where it has been for years.
A bit of an exaggeration. It was below $1400 for years (2013-2018). It climbed to over $2000 in 2020, and is now back down to the high $1700's, but not to a number that it has been for years. It is lower now, but not back down to my buying range, which was in the $1100-1300 range that I was buying at a couple years ago. I'd like it to drop a bit more before I will talk about it being a buy again...in the meantime, I stack cash for things like ammo...when metals go a little lower, that will mean the risk of a societal breakdown is lower, and I will gradually buy more metal again.

au3650nyb.gif

Keep your eyes on silver folks. This could get real interesting.

I'll bet Rick (the OP) is pretty happy with himself right about now. :thumbs:
...The Rumbling is strong in this one
Vader-Drawing-Epic-Star-Wars-Darth-Vader-Png-Transparent-.png

* Note the previous posts and the Gold 'bubble'. It popped. (double pun)

Last edited:
* Note the previous posts and the Gold 'bubble'. It popped. (double pun)
If silver goes into bubble territory, that's fine with me. When you buy it low, you really don't have much to lose. It's already at almost double what I paid for it back when this thread was started. If the economy really does take a dump, I highly doubt silver prices will be that low again. Moving forward, people will want their currency backed by metals to prevent a monetary collapse from happening again.

If the hedge funds/banks really were keeping silver artificially low, which is what I've heard (although not sure if it's true), then isn't this the opposite of a bubble? Could this be another 'deflate gate'?

I don't know much about gold, but if there was a bubble in PM's, it seems to me that with golds' high 'value' it would be there. I'm still contemplating whether or not to pick up some gold. I have very little of that. Maybe I'm too late to that party.

Latest posts

Back