Tomorrow is the day.............

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here I thought my little girl was, well, little. Broke out the tape and scale. 24" at the whithers and 60 lbs, which is the high end on both for a female Mal. I guess it's because Chase is so big, he is 30" at the withers and 90 pounds, well above the average for a male Mal.

Wow, they actually sat still for 15 seconds, lol.

Kenna and Chase.jpg

Great picture, hope he's enjoying his new sister!♥️♥️

They are relaxing around each other finally, and have taken to playing. It may do him some good, lol.

This little gal I got is the best. It's been a week today and zero issues. She has had no real training, but I think she will catch on. I picked up two packages of chicken hot dogs today and will be making some high value treats for training. I just started with the other one today teaching him the difference between 'look' and 'watch', he has already picked up on it.

My next challenge is to learn about 35 commands in German and start teaching that as well as English.

Oh, and does she ever look cool in the bright sunlight. This morning is the first good sunny morning we have had in a week.

In the house she looks completely black with a couple subtle tan tones.

This morning in the sun, she is black but you can see the tan undercoat from nose to tail.

The more I watch Kenna, the more I think I might be heading for this. I could be wrong, but that would be too kool. Her coat is changing, which is normal, and 'I hope' this is where it goes.

It also kinda tells me a story about her age. The people I got her from were told she was a year and a half when they got her 5 months ago, I think she isn't much more than that right now.

Chase's coat started changing color right around 18 months.

It's called dark fawn sable with black mask.

1668978743681.png

It will be neat to see what happens!! Keep us posted!!

Oh, I will, I'm tickled at the prospect. Each day I see more and more of that mahogany shining through the black.

Well, Kenna is undergoing some e collar training. She and Chase both are excellent at letting us know someone is outside. They are also excellent at letting us know when a leaf blows across the yard, or a car goes down the road that's a hundred yards away.

Soooo, E collar time , I'm using the vibrate function.. They have one chance to be quiet on command, if they don't, tap............tap......and if quiet that's it.

I don't repeat a command only but occasionally even when training, I want them to listen and act upon it the first time, if they don't they get a correction.

She is catching on right quick like. I tell her "quiet", she doesn't listen so she gets a tap and that usually does it, yesterday it was two and three taps.

This also helps condition them for the stimulate function which I use on occasion. Chase goes bonkers if I reach for the E collar because he knows we're about to do something fun, lol, he sits for me but can't keep his butt from wiggling. So many people think it's cruel to use an E collar or a prong, but they are both excellent training tools and with a good balance of positive and some adverse reaction for unwanted behavior gives the dog a good solid foundation.

Holy crap, I didn't think it was that long, sorry for the long diatribe............................um not really.

Oh, and if anyone does think about using either of these tools, I suggest putting it on your own neck so you understand what the dog feels. It will make you use them more humanely.

I did it before I would put them on mine.

The more I watch Kenna, the more I think I might be heading for this. I could be wrong, but that would be too kool. Her coat is changing, which is normal, and 'I hope' this is where it goes.

It also kinda tells me a story about her age. The people I got her from were told she was a year and a half when they got her 5 months ago, I think she isn't much more than that right now.

Chase's coat started changing color right around 18 months.

It's called dark fawn sable with black mask.

View attachment 98436

Holy Cow! From just this past Sunday to today there has been quite the change. That mahogany hair on the dog's side in the pic is coming out strong from the sides of Kenna's neck all the way down through her hind legs and tail.

1669305359547.png

Holy Cow! From just this past Sunday to today there has been quite the change. That mahogany hair on the dog's side in the pic is coming out strong from the sides of Kenna's neck all the way down through her hind legs and tail.

View attachment 98708
Her coat wouldn't just start to change if she is TWO, she must be younger. That's great, the younger the better.

Her coat wouldn't just start to change if she is TWO, she must be younger. That's great, the younger the better.

Chase swapped his coat around 18 months (right after we got him). I have suspected she was younger than I was being told, there is just too much puppy in her yet. And then this hair color change kinda confirmed it for me.

And she is starting to form a collarette around her neck, that wasn't there at all when we brought her home.

We need a Kenna update!!😉

Ahhh, she's doing great thanks. She does have several of Zeus's tendencies, she loves food/treats, she barks at anything (working on that still), and she farts up a storm. Chase rarely gasses us out, but Kenna, holy crap she'll run ya right out of a room.

Hey, Sojer, if I ever get into the "big money" I'm gonna slap a lift kit, good rims and some monster mudders on a Lamborghini Aventador, 10-4? I'll be the only guy in the boondocks with a "Lifted Disco Lambo!!!" 🤣

Why the Aventador and not, say, the Diablo, you ask? 700 ponies on the deck, that's why... enough horsepower to rip things apart as the monster mudders refuse to budge, lol. 😳

P.S. Note to self: don't forget the chrome quad shocks, LED light bar & Baja roof rack! :rolleyes:

Ahhh, she's doing great thanks. She does have several of Zeus's tendencies, she loves food/treats, she barks at anything (working on that still), and she farts up a storm. Chase rarely gasses us out, but Kenna, holy crap she'll run ya right out of a room.
Blaming the dog are ya!!??😃

Latest posts

Back