Too late?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
I'm thinking it's a near thing.
worldgood.jpg

If you believe in individual freedom, then that quote is not for you. Who decides what is good for everybody? Or the quote: The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
I answer to God, and I know what he thinks is good. I'll stick to that.
My interpretation is that what he means by 'good for the world' is the Earth - the planet and by extension the beasties and people upon it. No communism involved. If your personal intention is to get yours and screw the rest of us, I'll just have to watch out for you.

I think this is one of those instances when the quote is interpreted out of context and alters its value. I do believe Mr. Berry was referring to our earth (pollutants and such), however in today's world, it can be taken other ways. How unfortunate.
And to address both comments, I answer to God and try my best to be kind to earth/nature.

You could debate this quote until the cows come home. Who gets to decide what is "good"? Good for who? Good because they say it is? IMHO I believe in personal freedom to much to buy into this quote.

Last edited:
Me, too. Not a part of the borg collective.
The essay doesn't actually espouse "collectivism". It doesn't advocate worshiping Gaia. It may suggest that countryfolk and urbanites have an interest in common - the world we live in AKA the planet we live on. If we don't accept that common interest . . . ah, might as well be talking to the maple tree behind my house; she's a good old gal, but she ignores me as well as she can.

The essay doesn't actually espouse "collectivism". It doesn't advocate worshiping Gaia. It may suggest that countryfolk and urbanites have an interest in common - the world we live in AKA the planet we live on. If we don't accept that common interest . . . ah, might as well be talking to the maple tree behind my house; she's a good old gal, but she ignores me as well as she can.
You and Clint Eastwood

Ben

Latest posts

Back