Tor Browsers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The TOR browser is a great start for anonymous web use but it can be better by using VPN in addition.
The military uses TOR so it is not a secure browser by itself. It does make it harder to trace your location but not impossible. The same is true for a VPN but together they make it a lot harder to trace you.
Don't buy anything online when using the TOR browser or VPN because you have to supply a shipping address which negates your protection.
Some websites will not accept TOR or VPN connections.

I use to maintain and monitor a website for a friend. Monitoring software knew what browsers were being used by those viewing the friends website right down to the individual. I assume the government has better monitoring capabilities. If I was a suspicious government employee that saw TOR browser was being using, I would have the tendency to drill down deeper to see why. And when I learned a VPN was invoked I'd devote more resources to learn what the user was trying to hide.

Like my distant neighbor whose large house is out of site from the road, property acreage is surrounded by tall fencing, the entry gate is electrically (and coded I assume) operated. Makes a person wonder what they are hiding and/or protecting.

Last edited:
Appreciate the feedback, just looking at various privacy options. I know that there is no such thing as true privacy . I am tired of all the marketing that gets thrown at me following my browsing. Nothing to hide, pretty innocuous actually.

I use DuckDuckGo as my browser and ProtonMail for my email. Better than what I had.
I too use DuckDuckGo for search engine and proton for my nonpublic email. That has helped. I use VPMproxymaster for a VPN, I only have the free version so it is often slow

I like Tor because you can surf anonymously. I'm not worried about governments. I'm worried about Google/Amazon/Microsoft/Samsung/Facebook....

But, I do worry that if I use it, someone from the government will think I'm doing something nefarious, and serve a no knock warrant to see what I've been surfing. So, I stopped using it.

They say that the best thing is for lots of people to use it in your area. If everyone uses it, it stops being a novelty, and becomes normal. Would love to see it adopted as the most used browser.

Latest posts

Back