Toy, Prep or Tool

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggkidd

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
New to me 1970 D4D comes home friday.

D4D.jpg

It's got some issues like a leaky head gasket and radiator along with other things. I think it will still do some work though and the price was right. (Read incredibly cheap) Plus it's close enough I can drive it home and don't have to have it delivered. A ten ton machine should be able to do quite a lot on my little homestead. I have never run a dozer but I have run lots of smaller equipment. This will be the largest piece of equipment I have ever had or run. Bet it uses a lot more diesel than my little 35hp tractor. Then again it ought to be able to do a whole lot more work faster on less fuel overall. It'll fit right in around here with my 1969 Deuce and a half and all the other old stuff I use.

I can see all kinds of projects this will allow me to do now that I have always wanted to do but had no real way of doing.

View attachment 74104

It's got some issues like a leaky head gasket and radiator along with other things. I think it will still do some work though and the price was right. (Read incredibly cheap) Plus it's close enough I can drive it home and don't have to have it delivered. A ten ton machine should be able to do quite a lot on my little homestead. I have never run a dozer but I have run lots of smaller equipment. This will be the largest piece of equipment I have ever had or run. Bet it uses a lot more diesel than my little 35hp tractor. Then again it ought to be able to do a whole lot more work faster on less fuel overall. It'll fit right in around here with my 1969 Deuce and a half and all the other old stuff I use.

I can see all kinds of projects this will allow me to do now that I have always wanted to do but had no real way of doing.
Can I borrow that?😉😄

Should do you good! I've always wanted a bigger one. There's a lot of trees to clear and junk to bury on the farm...

What size do you run? I've got 2 areas I'd like to clear. One would end up a pasture about 10 acres and the other 3 to 5 acres for a pond. Both these areas were logged off about 6 or 8 years ago so the stumps should come out and the regrowth is still pretty small.

Last edited:
What size do you run?
I meant bigger than D4 size, although the smaller ones.can be pretty handy sometimes.. We've never had one, but a D7 would have been about right for our needs. We have a lot of large trees (70 feet tall type of trees) to clear. Why bother cutting g them down when you can just push them over? and we have some land that needs re-shaped, and a 40 year old junk pile that's about 60 yards long now, and an old mobile home that needs buried. It never seems to get any smaller...

View attachment 74104

Congrats.

You fight in a higher weight class than I do but given the chance...

😊

Ben

Neb the only reason I was able to buy is because my neighbor priced it cheap for me. I see phones that cost more all the time. Plus he let me make payments. I don't normally use credit but in this case and our mortgage I made exceptions.

Got it home today. A pic on the way home with it.

Snapchat-1187764319.jpg

Hay shed my son in law and I have been building. Still needs a lot of work but hay came home today as well so it went in even though it doesn't have a roof yet. Built it to hold 9) 4x6 round bales.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1496428804.jpg
    Snapchat-1496428804.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Went up to work on the hay shed. Then decided I need to at least try out the dozer. I had never been on one before yesterday. So I ran the Dozer for 3 or 4 hours today. Started clearing an area 30 to 60 feet wide about 200 feet long. Got all the new growth(less than ten years old) removed. Stuff up to 6 inches diameter came out without to much trouble. Got a bunch of rotten old stumps out then hit a few large old stumps that wouldn't budge like they were just cut. Then ran out of fuel and daylight and called it a day. It's definitely got a learning curve but I think I did okay for my first time working one. As I started getting tired I also started making stupid mistakes so it was past time to quit for the day.

Me want one! It'd take about a week to do everything I want. But I wouldn't need it again for a decade.

View attachment 74107
I'd armor plate it. can you see the look on a raider's face when that thing comes busting out of the barn headed right at them at full speed?

Attachments

• Killdozer.png
    Killdozer.png
    566.4 KB · Views: 12
You tell us. Toy, prep, or tool? So far it seems to fit the tool and prep category, but I have a feeling after a few more runs it might creep toward the toy category. A maiden voyage that lasted 3-4 hours until you ran out of fuel and daylight? I think someone was enjoying that. Sounds like a great investment. Hope it works out for you.

Spikedriver I have no idea but SLOW is the word I'd use. Supposed to have 3 forward and reverse gears but due to worn out controls I only get 1st & 2nd. I know that can be fixed but I highly doubt 3rd is needed around here.

Morgan I'd say it fits all three categories.

Lazy L I had a lot of fun with it yesterday and I am just scratching the surface on what I can do with it learning as I go.

The work I did yesterday in 3-4 hours would have taken me 3-4 weeks with a chainsaw and tractor. Back when I was young and healthy I might could have done it in a week...

Note to self

DO NOT RUN THE DOZER OUT OF FUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a real PITA to get going again when that happens!
Had to change the fuel filter, didn't ya...

I don't know how cold it gets where you are, but having some "911" brand fuel additive around is always a good idea if it gets cold. There are other equivalents to 911. I do know this - if you ever are caught needing to change filters and you don't have any diesel to fill the new filter before you start the dozer up, you can fill it with 911. It'll smoke like a sonofagun when you start it, but it'll run...

Had to change the fuel filter, didn't ya...

I don't know how cold it gets where you are, but having some "911" brand fuel additive around is always a good idea if it gets cold. There are other equivalents to 911. I do know this - if you ever are caught needing to change filters and you don't have any diesel to fill the new filter before you start the dozer up, you can fill it with 911. It'll smoke like a sonofagun when you start it, but it'll run...
You talk like you know what you are talking about.
:thumbs:

Ben

We seldom get below 10 F and I don't much move below 40 lol
10° is cold enough to mess with the fuel, especially if it's not winter blend. I agree that if it's below freezing, I don't go if I don't have to. Unfortunately where I live it's below freezing from Thanksgiving until late February...

The new pre cleaner for the air filter came in today. I had set the original on the track the day I bought it and we got it going. The man I bought it from didn't realize it was sitting there and ran it over and crushed it. I found a reproduction on ebay for $32 that fit perfectly.

I'd love to have a Cat, I've always wanted to terrace our upper property for grapes, blueberries and other vining berries. Here's the big issue I've seen in owning a Cat, when I was living in Seattle and working for a guy that did excavating for homes, he had me go to a local Caterpillar supply to get something he had ordered, while there I looked at the prices of other Cat labeled parts, it's frightening what I found, he later on had to get pistons for his 955 Cat, over $6,000 for 4 with rings.

Back