TPMS for Trailers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have gotten along fine for 100 years using a manual gauge.
I got tired of the batteries in the TPMS valve stems of my truck needing to be replaced every few years at $60 or more each, parts and labor, that the warning light has been on for a number of years now.
Right alongside the Check Engine light that has been illuminated since 2008. (The fuel tank vent valve solenoid is bad. Does not affect driveability)

Dumb question:
What's wrong with packing an air tank or compressor and a tire gauge?
Doesn't a monitoring system tell you as you are driving down the road? You can know if you have an issue as you are driving, as opposed to when you stop, or when the problem gets so bad that the tire blows or something.

I was having a slow leak in one tire and another one had something in it so got a unit from Amazon last November. I had fixed the tires and so far haven’t had any problems except I found that they programed the stems wrong so it was saying the wrong tire on two of them. Just switched them and rolled with it (pun intended). The solar charger has worked well, I’ve only plugged it in to charge once during a long rainy period.

Don’t know how it would do with a longer vehicle.

EA417303-E58F-41AD-B325-585DCCDF1A5F.jpeg

Tymate Tire Pressure Monitoring System M12-3 - Solar Charge, 5 Alarm Modes, Auto Sleep Mode, Tire Position Exchange, 4 TPMS Sensors (0-87 PSI) https://a.co/d/fjYTuzy

I always use a manual gauge to check all my tires before a trip on both legs, both on the camper and the truck. To me the TPMS is most useful for while going down the road and you've been seeing say 50 psi in all 4 tires, all of a sudden one starts dropping, 45, 40, 35. It gives advance waring of an issue so you can select where to stop and safely address it before ruining a tire.
I would never trust one of these alone, but as a back up and as a mobile gauge, I feel like they would be very useful.

KD4ULW, I saw that brand in my search last night. So many brands, options, etc. Thanksbfor sharing that

Our new travel trailer came prewired for a TPMS. The system also monitors tire temperature.
The tire sensors and the display cost around $250. That's a lot less than a repair on the trailer if a tire blows while driving.
Every time I pass an RV with a flat tire I always think "they should have checked the tire pressure before they left home."
I am ordering one today.
https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Comp..._1_3?keywords=tire+linc&qid=1685546904&sr=8-3

back in the day , dark ages, a company used to sell a kit that would indicate if the spring equalizer moved farther than normal, indicating a deflated tire,
found this kit with the sensors to replace the valve caps. TireMinder Trailer TPMS | The Best in TPMS

I got tired of the batteries in the TPMS valve stems of my truck needing to be replaced every few years at $60 or more each, parts and labor, that the warning light has been on for a number of years now.
Right alongside the Check Engine light that has been illuminated since 2008. (The fuel tank vent valve solenoid is bad. Does not affect driveability)
Do you have trouble putting fuel in the tank? My buddy had that solenoid thing happen, and it would take 15 minutes to fill the tank because it would back up and shut the fuel nozzle off...

Strange…takes me 10 - 15 minutes and $10 for for 6 batteries.

Latest posts

Back