Tracking

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
3 books I’ve found very useful through the years, especially the first two. I’ve read these books so often and practiced the information they contain… they are at this point reference material for me.

Tracking & the Art of Seeing How to Read Animal Tracks and Sign Paul Rezendes
This book is excellent. I grew up hunting. It took my basic skills to a whole new level.

Mammal Tracks & Sign… A Guide to North American Species by Mark Elbroch
This book covers all mammals of N. America in very clear, understandable terms. The photography is excellent.

Combat Tracking Guide by John D, Hurth
I don’t know how this book stacks up against others in this genre but… Knowing and understanding the first two books… Any signs left over are people. In many ways people are just as predictable as critters.

Here is a photo that shows the covers of these books. I have trouble with titles... sometimes it helps me to see the cover of a book to be sure it's the one I'm searching for...

Tracking (3) sm.JPG

Here is a photo that shows the covers of these books. I have trouble with titles... sometimes it helps me to see the cover of a book to be sure it's the one I'm searching for...

View attachment 51396

Thanks for the informative post! How much, if any, does the combat tracking guide cover counter tracking techniques?

Thanks for the informative post! How much, if any, does the combat tracking guide cover counter tracking techniques?

Yes, the last chapter is "Countertracking, Mines and Booby Traps", 50 pages. Includes some simple diagrams and photos.

I have nothing to compare this book too. I was shooting in the dark when I bought it. It was highly recommended by a bunch of people I don't know personally. That said, I found it very informative when combined with " Tracking & the Art of Seeing".

At this point it's academic for me... got trampled by a bull a few years ago and I'm not quite as mobile as I once was. I haven't bothered to update my library on the topic. There may be newer books out there, post back if you find something! :)

Back