Trading for items after shtf

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the most needed yet neglected things to have. You can buy small kits to trade. Very valuable.
This Awl sewing kit will be of use to anyone. Go to Amazon and type in Sewing Awl. There are different size kits and a really cheap but are so handy. 1 use can pay for it. I know these are also sold at Ace hardware for just the standard kit.
Kit.JPG

Traps! Thank you. I don't have any but have thought about getting some in the past. Have to have a license to use them at the moment, but SHTF situation that would be laughable. A very good thing to have available.
Even mouse traps would be valuable. Those little suckers could (and likely would) be a real nuicence if SHTF.
I don't see the wisdom in stocking up on something for trading that you wouldn't have use for yourself. You'll just end up spending money on garbage that will in all likelihood end up sitting around unused until you die. I can just see my kids going through boxes in my basement after I'm dead, "I wonder why dad had 50 cases of cigarettes? He didn't smoke." Stocking up on ammo for trading would make more sense for me, since I go through a lot of that myself.
For the most part I agree with this. However, I can see my kids doing the same when I die. Oh, well. Almost everything I have that I don't use is still in it's original packages so they will be able to sell it after I'm gone if they don't want to keep it. They don't drink coffee, so they're really gonna be like....... :oops: 😁

I might be willing to part with some items that I have a lot of (and use on a regular basis) if I needed to. For now, I like my stuff in storage b/c it's an inflation hedge. Why does mom have totes full of body wash, shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deordorant, and Q-tips? LOL! Hopefully I have many years ahead of me to put a dent in all of that.

An item that might be in hot demand if things get really lean would be BELTS. When or if folks lose access to fast food and constant snacks, there's gonna be some big weight loss going on. If it ever got that bad, pants would be hard to come by so folks would have to make due with what they have. It's gonna be mighty difficult to keep them pants on without belts or suspenders.

As far as the ammo stock....yes! It's the other precious metal doncha know.;) Hopefully the younger generation will learn from this recent shortage and when the shelves get stocked again (if ever), they will remember this and have a nice stock of their own.

There is a trick to staying alive while trading...
Well I don't have what you need but I think I know a guy who does...
The next day, you show up with what was needed and make the trade.
Everybody wants to know someone who knows where to get something. A valued friend and someone to protect!

Even mouse traps would be valuable. Those little suckers could (and likely would) be a real nuicence if SHTF.

For the most part I agree with this. However, I can see my kids doing the same when I die. Oh, well. Almost everything I have that I don't use is still in it's original packages so they will be able to sell it after I'm gone if they don't want to keep it. They don't drink coffee, so they're really gonna be like....... :oops: 😁

I might be willing to part with some items that I have a lot of (and use on a regular basis) if I needed to. For now, I like my stuff in storage b/c it's an inflation hedge. Why does mom have totes full of body wash, shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deordorant, and Q-tips? LOL! Hopefully I have many years ahead of me to put a dent in all of that.

An item that might be in hot demand if things get really lean would be BELTS. When or if folks lose access to fast food and constant snacks, there's gonna be some big weight loss going on. If it ever got that bad, pants would be hard to come by so folks would have to make due with what they have. It's gonna be mighty difficult to keep them pants on without belts or suspenders.

As far as the ammo stock....yes! It's the other precious metal doncha know.;) Hopefully the younger generation will learn from this recent shortage and when the shelves get stocked again (if ever), they will remember this and have a nice stock of their own.
Yes to mouse traps.

I purchased a gross of them because I use them and will be good for trade.

Ben

Yes to mouse traps.
The big traps (rat traps) would be good for catching squirrels and other assorted small animals for dinner time, after your food rations start to run low. Just use some cord and tie them to tree branches, fences, etc. Save your ammo (and time) for hunting the small game that won't catch itself unattended.

Mouse traps make good perimeter alarms. Cut a hole the size of a shotgun shell, improvised firing pin. When the trip wire is activated shell fires making a audial alarm and a change of underwear for the Tripper.
I love it.

I don't sew, don't know what 95% of the items in that picture would be used for, but still - it looks like a cool kit and I want one!
Many of the tools can be used for many things, but IMHO the kit is for making small items & repairing leather goods. You will need leather & die, a few wet leather molds, but the thread will be like gold.
Traps & snare of all kinds will be great, The wright Brother made a trap that would live catch 100 mice/rats. Tried to find a link & got D-con!o_O:mad:

Latest posts

Back