Training and Reactions in Emergency Situations

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am an observer of people and behaviors and often think about things that happen long after the fact. Part of my thinking is about trying to make sense of situations.

Today I saw a pit bull attack a small white dog (maybe a Bichon) and do some serious damage. Little dog had quite a long gash on it and was bleeding profusely. That kind of thing always gets adrenaline and anxiety going. I was far enough away, that I couldn't have reached them in time to make a difference, but the owner of the pit and the dog's caregiver who were there with his white furry dog and 6 dogs total could and did. The caregiver reached in and somehow got the white dog away from the pit. I couldn't see it from where I was. The dog was small enough that he could hold it in his arms. He rushed it to his vehicle and came right back to get his other dogs.

The pit's owner? She had a sturdy leash that she doubled up and just began swinging it wildly at the dogs, almost hysterically. In these situations, most dogs in the dog park run to see what is going on. I think her swinging leash was catching some of the dogs who were not in the attack. The swinging leash was doing nothing to change her dog's behavior. It really looked like someone swinging a switch hard at a child's behind and hitting any dog that came in her swing. Thankfully, the dogs with me were not up close.

The little dog's care giver got his dogs loaded in his vehicle and came back to give his information to the woman who waited outside the dog park with her dog, after she smacked it a few more times and told it that it was a bad dog. Caregiver is an older man, probably in his late fifties or sixties, lots of gray in his hair and beard. He is pretty good with his dogs, except for cleaning up after them. No one saw her give him her information, which might mean she will probably not take any responsibility for the expense of the injuries.

Later, someone shared that he thought the pit was in heat. Ugh! The woman must be really ignorant! After a German Shepherd went after my daughter's ridgeback two different times, I said, "We're leaving," and the GS owner said, "She is coming off her heat cycle." People are so dumb!

What I have thought about is that this woman's reaction is a part of her training, her life experience, and she reacted much like she has experienced many times in her life.

It told me about how important good training and practice are in many aspects of life. Training is often given by example. Emergency situations bring out reactions that are automatic in us, from our experiences and training. If someone lacks good training, they will not have a good or correct reaction. In many situations, it can mean life or death. In many situations, it is hard to know what to do, especially if you are not trained about what to do.

I wanted to say several not nice things to the pit's owner, but it is ineffective in the middle of an emotional situation like this. What would be better would be to tell her is: 1. get your dog spayed, 2. don't take a dog in heat to a busy dog park, 3. find a different way to stop your dog when it is attacking another one 4. don't have a pit if you do not know how to train and control it. All said in a diplomatic fashion, of course! Or maybe not!

You can't train or control a dominant breed dog if you are not a dominant person. Dog's will sniff out a beta in two seconds and fill in the role of alpha. When I see pics online of people letting their Rotties sleep in bed with them or eating food at the dinner table it makes me ill. These are the same people who's dogs end up biting or even killing someone unprovoked. And like guns, the dog always gets blamed while the idiot holding the leash is virtually blameless.

You can't train or control a dominant breed dog if you are not a dominant person. Dog's will sniff out a beta in two seconds and fill in the role of alpha. When I see pics online of people letting their Rotties sleep in bed with them or eating food at the dinner table it makes me ill. These are the same people who's dogs end up biting or even killing someone unprovoked. And like guns, the dog always gets blamed while the idiot holding the leash is virtually blameless.
That is why I have never wanted a dominant type dog. I see many people with them who never know what to do.

Our dogs do sleep with us but move or get down when we tell them too. Come meal time they go to "their" rooms, they aren't allowed to be near us when we eat and they never get people food.

The dogs get fed after we eat. I make sure they are in the room while we eat so they know that we are higher on the food chain. They still occasionally stare but they gave up begging a long time ago. They do get the scraps of fat and any leftover veggies but after they eat their food (which is on the table while we eat). Sometimes I will take their food away and pretend to eat some just to show them that I can.

I love our dogsbut they have to respect us and mind. We work very hard and our dogs have a job too, protecting by barking to let us know if trouble is lurking.

Before we even got out first Rottie, we went to a program on how to train dominant breed dogs put on by a former military and current police K9 trainer. The main lesson was "make it abundantly and repeatedly clear that you are higher in the chain of command than the dog is". So each dog has a bed of their own, but are not allowed on the beds of any human in the house. They eat after the humans are done eating and away from the dining room or kitchen. They are required to sit on their own (without a command) before they receive anything; affection, treats, toys, let out to relieve themselves, have a leash attached to their collars, etc. They are not allowed on our furniture and they are not allowed to ride in the front of any vehicle. And they were trained to accept 'abuse' from children without reacting to it, other than to move away from them. And that does not include the 'home security' training they have received or the hand gesture commands they were taught, which further reinforces their place in the chain. They won't accept a dog treat from someone outside of the family and they won't allow anyone into the house or yard without the okay gesture.

Our dogs, like our children, are very obedient and very well behaved. But in the same way they are also deeply loved, are constantly entertained and tended to, and receive everything they need in life with abundance.

I have many friends with dominant breed dogs who are just pets and nothing more. They think they will protect and defend them, but they likely won't.

I don't do dog parks because of other dog owners. When I adopted my Zeus, I met with the adoptees in a park (not a dog park specifically) when Rob was walking over to meet with us another groups dog, off leash of course, came charging at Zeus and we had to step in and also remind the owner to put his dog on a leash if he can't control him.

My dogs remain on a leash when we are out, simple as that, and in some circumstances I use a pinch collar on them if I know we are going to be in a situation that triggers their drive, great tool when used properly.............lean heavy on the properly.

And IF one is going to have a dog that they know is high drive and has the potential to be aggressive, then they should know how to break up a dog fight.

I have many friends with dominant breed dogs who are just pets and nothing more. They think they will protect and defend them, but they likely won't.

Our Malinois' are mostly pets, we do some training but nothing over the top. I can't say 100% they would protect, but maybe 99%, lol.

They give us static if we correct the grand kids. I guess it depends on the individual dog in the absence of protection training.

It depends on the dogs loyalty to the alpha. Dogs are driven by instinct they don't make conscious decisions.
When people stop trying to make family members of dogs their behavior is predictable. When you try to make a dog into a person they become psychotic.

Our Malinois' are mostly pets, we do some training but nothing over the top. I can't say 100% they would protect, but maybe 99%, lol.

They give us static if we correct the grand kids. I guess it depends on the individual dog in the absence of protection training.
Malinois are gorgeous dogs. I didn't even know about them until a few years ago. I have seen some interesting coloring on some.

Malinois are gorgeous dogs.

Yes they are, unique too, you might get ten dogs in the same color category and they all look different. My oldest, Zeus looks incredible outside on a bright sunny day.

Latest posts

Back