Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I challenged a buddy of mine who is visiting to a workout today together.
He is active duty SOF and a decade and a half younger than me but had not worked out in a while due to travel.

... I had recently worked out a lot and he agreed to go with my routine.

Outcome: he still smocked me.. but we both got a great workout out of it and worked ourselves to near vomiting.

I challenged a buddy of mine who is visiting to a workout today together.
He is active duty SOF and a decade and a half younger than me but had not worked out in a while due to travel.

... I had recently worked out a lot and he agreed to go with my routine.

Outcome: he still smocked me.. but we both got a great workout out of it and worked ourselves to near vomiting.
@BlueZ are you sure your buddy didn't puke? It makes a way better story that way...:D

I rode 4.4 miles today, but not for fitness. This morning my daughter and I rode .7 miles out to the Dollar store because I needed trash bags. The trip back made 1.4 miles. Then this afternoon she was complaining of being bored so I suggested a ride to the roadside park. I figured she'd be up for it because they have a monarch butterfly garden there. I knew her tires needed air too, so we rode to the gas station to fill up (half mile out of the way). I conveniently forgot that I could air her tire up at home. ;) When that was all said and done we did 3.01 miles but it was just family time, riding slow and talking. Any exercise counts though, right?

I rode 4.4 miles today, but not for fitness. This morning my daughter and I rode .7 miles out to the Dollar store because I needed trash bags. The trip back made 1.4 miles. Then this afternoon she was complaining of being bored so I suggested a ride to the roadside park. I figured she'd be up for it because they have a monarch butterfly garden there. I knew her tires needed air too, so we rode to the gas station to fill up (half mile out of the way). I conveniently forgot that I could air her tire up at home. ;) When that was all said and done we did 3.01 miles but it was just family time, riding slow and talking. Any exercise counts though, right?

Awwwww:D You're such a good dad Spike! If all dads spent time like this with their kids, our world would be a much better place.:) Plus, you got a nice workout in to boot. I think a lot of times (due to hormones) our bodies react much better to fun exercise.

After a week of not riding very hard due to work and family commitments, I got back into it today. But Mother Nature had other plans. The heat index was around 110° and humid, so even the wind was hot. I loaded up on fluids and some electrolytes all morning and took 40 oz of water along. I planned on riding a bit slower than normal as well and a water break every 15 minutes. But at the 25 minute mark I stopped and threw up all my fluids. It was just too damn hot. After that I just slow pedaled straight home. All in all I did 6.9 miles. I may go back out this evening and try to get another 30 minutes in, if it cools off a bit...

Went back out at 7:30PM, when the sun started losing its power. I could tell a huge difference in my body, even though it was less than 10° cooler. I was able to set a new personal average speed for a distance longer than 6 miles - 13.32 mph for 7.77 miles. Felt pretty good until the last hill, too. It's one block of moderate uphill grade that robs you of all your momentum, followed by just under a block of Swiss Alps type grade. Having already pushed hard for 7 miles at that point, I was crying for Mommy after that little hill and I tapped out and went home...:D Between the two rides today I got about 14 3/4 miles in, and now I'm soaking my sore muscles in the tub before I go pass out. I'm thinking I'll pay for these rides tomorrow but I feel pretty good tonight...

Just finished my 4th workout for the week a run.
Tomorrow an Iron pump. This will give me 5 workouts for the week an exceptionally good week for me.. My buddy being a workout partner helps a lot.

Just finished my 4th workout for the week a run.
Tomorrow an Iron pump. This will give me 5 workouts for the week an exceptionally good week for me.. My buddy being a workout partner helps a lot.
Having a workout partner helps a lot. In college I had a partner/mentor for a semester who had just finished a master's degree in physical education. He also had been the quarterback on the football team. Six two and about 195. He taught me about proper form. The regimen was day 1- back/biceps, day2-chest/triceps, day 3-legs, day 4 neck/shoulders/torso. Then 1 day off.
I wasn't convinced about it so he benched 275 and squatted 585 in front of me and then said let's get to work. Lol. Learned a lot from him. I was just too lazy to keep it going after he left...wish I had somebody like that around now...

My buddy is only here temporarily.. back to solo workouts then...
Tomorrow we are taking this test before the regular workout:

Last edited:
Ok did the MVT Tactical fitness test.
I did not quite make it.
My buddy who is active duty did great despite having also been on travel for some time now.
Since I run regularly sometimes hills I thought my legs would be fine despite not having done burpees or lunges in years.
Ok.. my non running workout have been biased towards upper body since i run regularily.. but will focus more on leg strength to pass the MVT fitness test.

After the MVT fitness test did my one of my regular workouts but slightly modded it subbing out a couple of exercises for legs/core

Pull ups
military press
Planks ( 5 times to failure)
standing jumps
incline bench
frontal raises
lateral raises

Last edited:
No ride today. Will try to get one in tomorrow but I may not get time before I have to leave for Milwaukee. Got two work days there and the hotel has a gym with a stairstepper, stationary bike and weight machine so I should be able to get some kind of workout in there...

Perfect day to ride, 80° and cloudy. Rode 9.35 miles in 43 minutes, average speed of 13.04 mph. I really hit a wall the last 3/4 mile, so I must be pretty close to my limits for now, which is both good and bad. 9 miles at 13 mph isn't much for anyone who's in shape, but it shows I've made some real progress since I started...

See, this is what I want to know - other people my age (46) or older who are staying in shape. It motivates me to keep at it. My Pops was still slow jogging/walking 2 miles a day, 4-5 times a week in his late 70s, and still walks regularly at 84. He's 5'10" and 160 pounds. That's motivation too. He can do that at 84, after two heart attacks. Why am I 50 pounds overweight? I swear I'm gonna lose 10% of my weight and get down to 225. They say that losing 10% of your body weight makes the biggest difference in how your joints feel and your energy comes back. Well I've been overweight for 10 years and I'm ready to know what having more energy and less pain feels like...

Good luck Spike I'm pulling for you. You can do it it just takes one step at a time. Whats that saying " a journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step ".

I drove six hours home from Milwaukee today and back just in time to get a ride in before it got dark enough to compromise safety. I decided to throw in a new little wrinkle - I took the back road out of town to the north. It's a little used paved road that leads out to the natural gas compressor plant so it gets very little traffic, then turns to gravel after the plant entrance. Riding west and south on the gravel leads me back to the bike trail on the west edge of town. This added almost two miles of clear road where I don't have to deal with any intersections or sidewalks to slow me down.

Of course, idiot me forgot my watch so I didn't get a time on the ride but the website I use to calculate distance said it was a 7.36 mile route and I'm pretty positive I was doing near 13mph on average. This will be my route from now on as it gives me more freedom to ride hard without having to watch for cross traffic and adds a real nice little hill to the ride as well. I can add distance by riding the grid pattern in town as well, if I feel up to it...

This is turning out to be a good week.

Its Wednesday..

Monday: off (due to still sore from Saturdays super workout)
Tuesday : Run in the heat of the day (1130-1215 ish)
Today: Run at lunch(heat of day again). and a solid Iron pump in the evening. So a two-a-day

:)

Last edited:
I'm mopping, cleaning and dancing to music. Soon will be shoveling .
We gave gym equipment to grandson a few years ago, but I do have a bar and a couple weighs I may get out. No bench though.

I'm mopping, cleaning and dancing to music. Soon will be shoveling .
We gave gym equipment to grandson a few years ago, but I do have a bar and a couple weighs I may get out. No bench though.
You can do a lot without a bench. I don't have one, or have space for one. If you've got dumbbells you can do even more than with a bar. Any excercise is good even if it's not a professional type of workout.

Short ride Tonite...My daughter's birthday party ran late and had a bunch of drama (ex MIL and ex, as usual) so it was getting pretty dark by the time I got home. I did exactly five miles. I got stopped by a train in the middle though and it kind of killed my momentum.

Short ride Tonite...My daughter's birthday party ran late and had a bunch of drama (ex MIL and ex, as usual) so it was getting pretty dark by the time I got home. I did exactly five miles. I got stopped by a train in the middle though and it kind of killed my momentum.

Thats a lot of running Spike.

Thats a lot of running Spike.
Lol no, no running. My lower back vertebrae would fall out and my knees would buckle if I tried to run. I only bike for cardio type exercise. I'd swim if I had a facility nearby to use but sadly the nearest pool is ten miles away and always full of rug rats. I've found swimming to be just about the most strenuous exercise a person can do...if I ever fell off a ship in the sea I'd be a goner for sure...

Rode a nice, relaxed 5.5 miles this afternoon, including a stop at the bike shop to ask some questions about some accessories. The owner told me to try riding in the town cemetery, which I thought was a little weird, but it has paved lanes in it and nobody's ever there so I gave it a shot. It was actually kind of quiet and relaxing. I'm contemplating doing some curls, shrugs and military press this evening but than again I'm also contemplating pizza and pizza is probably going to win...:rolleyes:

It will be hard but today I will try for a double.. a run and an iron pump.. I'll let folks know how it went

Rode a nice, relaxed 5.5 miles this afternoon, including a stop at the bike shop to ask some questions about some accessories. The owner told me to try riding in the town cemetery, which I thought was a little weird, but it has paved lanes in it and nobody's ever there so I gave it a shot. It was actually kind of quiet and relaxing. I'm contemplating doing some curls, shrugs and military press this evening but than again I'm also contemplating pizza and pizza is probably going to win...:rolleyes:
Pizza won...

It will be hard but today I will try for a double.. a run and an iron pump.. I'll let folks know how it went
Only got the run done.. it was HOT!
Took a lot out of me.
Ill shoot for a double tomorrow

Maybe lift this evening when you've had a chance to rest and rehydrate?

That was the idea.. lift after work.. but I had to pick up a bunch of my co workers from the airport and it got late enough that gym was closing..

Not feeling right today. I did nothing strenuous but at 1:30pm I felt exhausted and leaned back in my chair to get a little nap. Next thing I knew it was 8pm. I still feel a little off. I got a little 2.4 mile bike ride in before it got too dark but I could feel that it wasn't right to go any further. Really not sure what it is but my body is like a lead weight and my head is a little off too and I still feel tired but can't sleep after that huge nap. Hopefully tomorrow is better...

Ok did I a 5 mile run this morning with one of my fitter co workers. It was seriously hilly... so felt like a lot longer.. took me longer too than a 5 miler should take (it took slightly over an hour).
Truthfully the route with its very steep hills felt a bit beyond my ability to do as a routine run ..... I used to have plantar fascitis am still quite overweight and thats a bad combination for your fascia with those hills.

I might lift tonite or wait until tommorrow ( so I can include legs which I may not be able to do tommorrow)

Ok did I a 5 mile run this morning with one of my fitter co workers. It was seriously hilly... so felt like a lot longer.. took me longer too than a 5 miler should take (it took slightly over an hour).
Truthfully the route with its very steep hills felt a bit beyond my ability to do as a routine run ..... I used to have plantar fascitis am still quite overweight and thats a bad combination for your fascia with those hills.

I might lift tonite or wait until tommorrow ( so I can include legs which I may not be able to do tommorrow)
Biking 5 miles is nothing...walking 5 is not much...hiking 5 loaded down and in terrain is hard work...but running 5 in terrain probably puts you ahead of 90 or 95% of the Western World, @BlueZ . Well done...

Latest posts

Back