Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
35 minutes cardio (15 bike, 10 elliptical, 10 treadmill) plus shrugs, upright rows, and shoulder side raises. I had planned on shoulder presses but decided my rotator cuff had already had enough for the day...

Good solid workout today: 30 minutes on the bike, and 15 on the treadmill for 45 minutes cardio. Most of that was at a heartrate between 135-160 bpm. Chest &triceps day so bench press, tricep pulldown, and overhead triceps extensions. Unfortunately my gym doesn't have a fly machine for chest work...

Bicep curls, hammer grip curls, shrugs, overhead press, side raises, and 10 on the bike, 10 on the elliptical, and 15 on the treadmill. I kind of made a circuit on the cardio machines because I get bored easily when I try to do 1/2 hour on the same machine.

Side note, my feet felt pretty good today so I slow jogged on the treadmill twice, for one minute each time, before returning to a walking pace. For some reason the treadmill doesn't seem to bother my plantar fasciitis like regular walking does...

Starting this week off good after 4 bad weeks.
A run today.
My least favorite workout and I already have one down for the week and its only Monday.

Pumped Iron today.. my 2nd workout of the week on 2nd day of the week.. so this might be a good week.
I focused on mobility (legs and core) this time, but did fewer sets so as to not overwhelm my tendons/joints after previous 3-4 weeks off

2 sets of squats (low weight)
4 sets of pullups (assisted)
2 sets of seated leg press
3 times planking
2 sets hip adduction
2 sets hip aBduction
2 sets standing military dumbell press
2 sets lateral raises
2 sets frontal raises.

No excercise yesterday. I had hoped to find a hotel with a fitness room, but unfortunately there were none that were affordable enough...

Today after work, the weather was nice so I took a walk. I wore my Red Wings, as they're the best shoes I have for my PF, and kept the walk to 20 minutes. Was just starting to feel it in my heel when I stopped. Not much of a workout, but better than nothing I guess...

Ran today. My 3rd workout of the week. So it should be easy to make this a good week. By my standards all I need to do is one full body iron pump tommorrow (on Saturday) to have a"good" week.

I hit the gym as soon as I got home from Wisconsin. 32 minutes of cardio (15 bike, 17 treadmill) and bench press, shrugs, triceps pulldown, triceps extensions, delt front raises and delt side raises.

Tomorrow should be cardio + biceps and maybe some lat work...

Got on the scale this morning, and (drumroll, please!) It read 223.4 pounds. That reaches my first weight loss goal, to lose 10% of my starting weight of 250 pounds. Now, to maintain and continue the weight loss to my next goal of 210 pounds.

I've decided to set a fitness goal also - to complete a 20 mile nonstop bike ride. My best so far is 14 miles. It will have to wait until next spring when the weather warms up. For now I'll have to settle for the gym...

Last week finished on Sunday for the full 4 exercises ( 2 weight 2 runs)

Monday and tuesday work, got in the way of working out.
But today I went on a nice hard run.. longer/harder than usual.

Last edited:
Just finished up in the gym:

Standing EZ bar curls
Hammer grip curls
Lat pulldowns
Rotary machine preacher curls (I don't really like this machine...;))

10 minutes each on elliptical, treadmill, and bike for approximately 300 total calories burned...

I hit the weights pretty good today. So even though I got a late start on the week i might still squeeze out a good week since its only Thursday and i have 2 workouts and I think I will be able to run tommorrow.
My weights today (no squats since I ran hills hard yesterday and my legs still hurt)

- 3x sets pull ups. Assisted
- 2 x sets military dumbell press
- one set of sit ups ( i know it should have been 2 or 3 but i felt i was gonna cramp up)
- 3x sets seated rows
- 3 sets incline dumbbell bench
- 2 sets frontal raises
- 2 sets lateral raises
- 2 sets back extensions on roman chair ( I almost passed out here since i hadn't done those in a long time as my usual gym does not have roman chairs). This is an excellent exercise for tactical fitness. It strengthens the lower back like deadlifts but is safer and adds both a cardio and a hamstring component to it.
A solid lower back is important for tactical mobility under load (rifle and ammo and water) in terrain.

^^^ My lower back is compromised already so I don't do any real strenuous excercise with it. I do 3 sets of 8 squats at every workout, either body weight only, or with no more than 10 pound dumbbells...and I do a lot of core stretches. I'm more about avoiding further injury and maintaining what I still have, rather than pushing it to add strength...

I did 32 minutes on the treadmill today, with two, two-minute periods of jogging at the 10 minute and 20 minute marks. My back and feet held up pretty well so I think I'll increase to 2.5 minute jogging intervals tomorrow - if my PF doesn't flare up worse overnight. It has been better, but still noticeable, the last week or so...

Also did bench press, shrugs, overhead triceps, triceps pulldown, front delt raises and side delt raises. Due to my rotator cuff injury the delts are light weight (10-15 lbs). I find this very annoying but if I try to go heavier my shoulder grinds and pops. 15 is probably pushing it as is...

I do the back extensions as a substitute for deadlifts since I also have concerns with my back. Works great though...

Hammer grip curls, lat pulldowns, EZ bar curls, rotary preacher curls, seated upright rows

22 minutes on treadmill at 4.4 mph, with two, 2.5 minute jogs at 5.8 mph.

10 minutes on stationary bike at 15-17 mph

Went running yesterday at lunchtime. It was chilly and I SO did not feel like it... this was my 3rd workout day in a row to make up for the weak start of the week.
i was slow almost the entire way... and for some reason in the last 2/3rd of a mile my legs felt like rubber..
I am pretty sure I wasnt hydrated properly since i hadn't drunk much since getting up. ( this was noonish)

But I made it and at least I was out there..

No workouts for the past two days due to the fire next door. Today I got back to it.

Bench press
Lat pulldown
EZ bar curls
Triceps pulldown
Preacher curls
Triceps extensions
Upright rows

25 minutes on treadmill at 4.5 mph walking speed with three, 2.5 minute jogs at 6 mph. Nothing too strenuous, but enough to get the blood pumping...:D

Today started of the week with a Gym visit.

3 sets pulls ups (assisted)
2 sets standing military dumbell press
2 sets seated leg press ( moderately heavy)
2 planks
2 sets hip abductions
2 sets hip adductions
2 sets frontal raises
2 sets lateral raises

Gotta keep getting ready for whats coming.

Worked out on Monday but not Tuesday+ Wednesday
Today, Thursday went on a run.. a little bit longer than usual , 4.0 miles instead of 3.3 but a much hillier route that my new (and fitter) running partner chose.
My legs are so sore!
But thats good..

Lets see if tomorrow i do my easy route... so Saturday I can pump Iron and then have my 4 for the week. Its depends if i am up for a run tomorrow or if my legs are too beat...
then I might pump Iron (upper body and core) and try to run on Saturday.. But I have an extremely bad track record about running on the weekend because i like my routes near work..

made it into the Gym today.
Gym was almost closed so I exercised less than normal
But I still got in something at least;
3 sets pull ups ( assisted)
3 sets high incline bench
3 sets seated rows (heavy)
3 sets flat bench
3 sets seated leg press

very traditional and not as agility oriented as I would like it.. but II hadn't done a "2 pushes 2 pulls" session in a long time.

Ok so last week got only 3 workouts....
But this week starting good.
Pumped Iron yestderday.. was at a different gym that had a roman chair for back extensions.. so thats great... but I am nursing a light should injury... so I skipped the extreme shoulder workouts.
This is what I did

3 sets pullups ( assisted)
3 sets pushups
2 sets sit ups ( did not do well.. but each set was at least close to failure)
3 sets seated row ( heavy)
3 sets shoulder shrugs
2 sets back extensions.

What did I skip? my usual raises to go easy on my outer delt.

Today..
It was chilly late in the day and i had no energy.. but managed to get out there anyway on a Run.
I was slow... since it was late in the day and I was low on energy.. but at least I did it..the best workouts are the ones you almost skipped..

Ok so last week got only 3 workouts....
But this week starting good.
Pumped Iron yestderday.. was at a different gym that had a roman chair for back extensions.. so thats great... but I am nursing a light should injury... so I skipped the extreme shoulder workouts.
This is what I did

3 sets pushups
2 sets sit ups ( did not do well.. but each set was at least close to failure)
3 sets seated row ( heavy)
3 sets shoulder shrugs
2 sets back extensions.

What did I skip? my usual raises to go easy on my outer delt.

Today..
It was chilly late in the day and i had no energy.. but managed to get out there anyway on a Run.
I was slow... since it was late in the day and I was low on energy.. but at least I did it..the best workouts are the ones you almost skipped..
A slow run (or ride) still counts. It just means you didn't hit your goal that particular day...

Do you guys do warm-up exercises or stretches before you start lifting weights, running, etc? Do you do any cool down stretches, etc?

I always stretch. Current thinking in the fitness community is that static stretches before strength training is actually counterproductive but I don't care, I do it anyway. I tend to do stretches on days I don't work out too. It just feels good.

I sometimes do cool down stretches too but I'm not real adamant about it.

Do you guys do warm-up exercises or stretches before you start lifting weights, running, etc? Do you do any cool down stretches, etc?
I confess i dont stretch
I simply dont have the time. i do this during my lunch hour.
If I were to strecth beofre and after for even just 10 minutes thats a third of my lunch hour gone right there = No time to change into and out of clothes and shower..

Delt front raises
Delt side raises
Shrugs
Seated military press

I decided to add some leg work but I'd never used a leg press machine like my gym has. Your feel stay stationary, but the seat moves when you press. You move your own body weight plus whatever you want on the stack (up to 225 lbs). I had no idea how much to do so I worked up in sets of 6 from 115 lbs to 205 lbs. Now I have a baseline established and I can hit it hard when I come back to it in a couple days...

10 minutes on elliptical, 24 minutes on treadmill (2 miles) 4.5 mph walking with 4, 2 1/2 minute jogs at 6 mph thrown in...

Today:
3 sets seated military press
3 sets seated rows
2 sets hip adduction
2 sets hip aBduction
2 times plank one minute each
3 sets flat bench press (dumbbell)
2 sets shoulder shrugs

This will be it for the week. I had to hit it harder early in the week because i have company coming today and wont exercise again until Monday.

Back