Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15 Feb
Meant to get up at 05:00 for a run today, must have shut off my alarm and went back to sleep because I woke up at 07:30...the time I usually leave for work...so that didn't happen.

Today:
Since I couldn't wake my sorry but up at 5am I decided to beat my self with 20 rep squats, you take a lighter weight that you can do easily 8-10 times and do 20 of them.

Dead lifts: 4 set 15, 13, 12, 10 @ 115kg
Squats: 2 set 20 rep @ 80kg these kicked my ass!! wanted to puke on the second set
DB Bench 4 set 12 @ 55lb
GHR: 3 set 15, 12, 10,8
DB Press, 12, 10, 10, 8 @ 35lb
Knee raise: 3 set 10
4 count kicks: 5 set 10

Tomorrow, my wife wants to get up with me and train....First day of Chinese New Year tomorrow so 4 whole days off!!!

Another week in the gym done in a few. About to leave for arm day. Still doing my 5 day split.
Mon-chest
Tues-back
Wed-legs
Thurs-shoulder
Fri-arms

Descending sets (12,10,8,6,4,2 reps) with increasing weight. Building mass at moment.

I lift weights for about an hour and a half then come home and do cardio. Was doing an hour on exercise bike. Cut that to half hour and follow up with half hour of yoga stretching. Since started that I've cut down the ibuprofen I was taking to half and feel much better.

I still do my long trail run (5miles) with a LOT of up hill every Sunday and play tennis about 4-5hrs a week.

Diet vastly important. I do protein/meal replacement shakes, biltong and some fresh veggies during the day and a paleo dinner.

Closer to summer I'll switch exercise to more cardio base and do keto to lean out. Planning a 20 mile on the Appalachian trail later this month in between tennis seasons. Walking long distance with weight on my back is one of my favorites but it's too time intensive to add in to my weekly routine.

Back into weights tomorrow, so I will be pretty sore. Lost a bit of weight getting ready for my race then I was sick for a couple days after. First week will be short workouts to avoid soreness as much as possible. I hate this part.

My thought is muscle weight is heavy and if your intent is to be able to run, push up, sit up, pull up then carrying muscle weight would be a detractor. That is why I keep pushing the circuit training route, lean muscle is best and it is also healthier long term. People who tend to carry lean muscle don't struggle with weight later in life when activity decreases due to age/injuries (inevitable).

I am modifying my exercise routine with this in mind currently.
Going away from 2 runs and 2 full body Iron pumps a week to 3 runs and 1 ruckmarch.
Will see how this works out.

I am packing on good muscle with my current routine but not getting any faster in the run (well maybe just a little) and not getting rid of my gut.

Been down hard with a stomach bug the last two days, skipped Wednesday Thursday felt off, Friday night felt really off, Saturday was down hard with something nasty. Today feel better so ill get back into it Monday.
The good news is I dropped 8lbs...but all fluids im sure.

While I agree that muscle mass can cause problems, at my age I no longer have the potential to turn into Arnold without some hormone replacement and I have accepted that, as difficult as it is for my ego. So I lift as heavy as I can and as hard as I can because I'm trying to slow the inevitable. Any muscle mass that I do gain will be a by product of my strength increases. In my opinion stronger is always better. I personally feel better when I'm moving heavy iron tho heavy is a relative term now. My season always starts in Aug as a powerlifting cycle then transitions into ultra endurance running until Feb. then it's back to powerlifting until May when I'm transitioning into ultra endurance bicycling. Just enough variety to keep it interesting.
I am modifying my exercise routine with this in mind currently.
Going away from 2 runs and 2 full body Iron pumps a week to 3 runs and 1 ruckmarch.
Will see how this works out.

I am packing on good muscle with my current routine but not getting any faster in the run (well maybe just a little) and not getting rid of my gut.

Anybody else having trouble watching the diet recently? I've been having mad sugar cravings. I'm usually pretty good at curbing that but it's been hard the past couple weeks. Still going strong in the gym though.

Im the Executive Chef of a restaurant....and I have a very very good pastry chef...she makes our homemade ice cream....

"Chef! taste this, chocolate, toffee and chili, Chef! taste this, pineapple and coconut, Chef! Taste this, maple syrup and bacon!...Chef! Guinness and chocolate!!...."

That is why I need to lift and train and run, one week of not training and I get flabby!

Hitting gym here again after vacation, while on vacation I used what equipment they had at time share. A universal type machine, used all stations just 3 sets of 15. 1. leg curls 2 leg ext 3 leg press. 4. Chest press 5.push ups 6.rows 7.lat pulldowns 8. dumbbell side laterals 9.dummbell presses. Bicycle. I was there 9 days and got in 4 workouts also had one day swimming and snorkeling open ocean. Didn't push hard, I was on vacation. :D

Well, I made the decision that I wont be pursuing joining the Guard, so instead of focusing on getting my push ups, sit ups and run times down.
I can go back to focusing on being big and strong and in shape.

So: took a week off from the 5th to the 11th and hopped right back into my old power-lifting and strength routine. I didn't really lose a lot of strength after all of the running and cardio I was doing, I did get my weight down to 195 from 210. After 2 weeks of hitting the weights really hard, i'm back up to 200 so about 2 pounds a week. That translates to about 1.5lbs muscle and the rest body fat per week.
Without further explanations:

Monday: 12 Mar:
Squat: 5x5 69kg,87kg,105kg,120kg,138kg
Press: 5x5 39kg, 48kg,57kg,66kg,75kg
Row: 5x5 33kg,42kg,51kg,57kg,66kg
Assorted assistance work, ghr, curls, pull ups, pull downs.

Tuesday 13Mar:
Cardio, 1 mile 9min
4count kicks 5x10
leg raise: 5x10

Wednesday: 14 Mar
Squat: 4x5 69kg,87kg,105kg,105kg
Press: 4x4 33kg,39kg,45kg, 51kg
Dead lift: 5x5 87kg, 105kg, 120kg, 138kg, 138kg
Assorted assistance work

Thursday: 15 Mar
Cardio, 1 mile 9min
4count kicks 5x10

Friday: 16 Mar

Squat: 5x5+2 triples 69kg, 87kg, 105kg, 120kg, 141kg x 3+3 105x8
Press: 5x5+2 triples 39kg, 48kg, 57kg, 66kg, 78kg x3+3, 57kgx8
Row: 5x5 +2 triples 33kg, 42kg, 51kg, 57kg, 69kg x 3+3, 51kg x8

Sat, Sun off

Monday: 19Mar
Squat: 5x5@ 72kg, 87kg,105kg,123kg,141kg
Press: 5x5@ 39kg,48kg,60kg,69kg,78kg
Row: 5x5@ 36kg,42kg,51kg,60kg,69kg
Assorted assistance work, ghr, curls, pull ups, pull downs.

Tues: 20 Mar
Cardio, 1 mile 1.5 min
4count kicks 5x10

Wed: 21 Mar
Squat: 4x5, 72kg,87kg,105kg,105kg,
Press: 4x4, 33kg,39kg,45kg,51kg
Dead lift: 5x5@ 87kg,105kg,123kg,141kgx2
Assorted assistance work

Thur 22 Mar:
Cardio, 1 mile 8.45 min
4count kicks 5x10
screwing around with the weights, shrugs, med ball,

Fri: 23 Mar
Squat: 5x5+2 triples 72kg,87kg,105kg,123kg,144kg x 3+3 105kgx8
Press: 5x5+2 triples 39kg,48kg,60kg,69kg,78kg x3+3, 60kg x 8
Row: 5x5 +2 triples 36kg, 42kg,51kg, 60kg,69kg x 3+3, 51kg x8
Assorted assistance work 3x10, pullupsx amrap, curls, db rows, plate holds 3x 10sec, ghr@20kgx10x3

Everything is in kilograms because thats what the gym here has and im to lazy to do the math, so multiply by 2.2

:DOR increase the reps by 2.2 times, OH I have looked in the book stores in the pet section and can find nothing on how to train your logs ???? Are the hard to house break, I know they have a Bark but do they have any other bad habits?

Another week in the gym down. My arms are putty today. Finished up cardio but tennis tonight, tomorrow ,and a 5mile trail run on Sun. Then it starts over :).

Today arms....
7 sets descending reps increasing weight unless otherwise noted.

Bar curls starting at 65lbs (adding 10lbs each set.
Nosebreakers starting at 55lbs then same.
Dumbbell Hammer curls starting at 45 going up by 5.
Dips 5 set of 12
Straight bar curls same as bar curls
Tricep pull downs starting at 50 increase by 10
Forearm curls followed by reverse forearm curls starting at 15lb dumbbell
Sit ups decline bench starting at 7 level decline moving to 9 then holding weight starting at 15 lb dumbbell for last 4 sets.
1 hour exercise bike.

This week I missed my middle of the week run day (Wed) due to extreme snow issues.
So far this week I have 2 solid runs..plus one Iron pump ( mostly upper body but 3 sets of squats added) for 3 Xercises for the week.

Tomorrow I will have the time to add a full body iron pump covering every muscle group in my body.. Consisting of 14 distinct exercises of mostly 3 sets each (some only 2 sets however to minimize chance of overuse injury)... guesstimate 1hr :10 min duration.

this will give me 4 decent workouts for the week meeting my objective.

I believe in the past 6 weeks I have met my objective (4 exercises) every single week.
My Threshold is 3 (emergency minimum) objective is 4 and goal is 5 (which never seems to happen)

Even tho I'd hate to admit it I am definitely into middle age now.. so maybe 4 per week is my golden middle.
Enough workouts to make me better and a beast compared to my peers in age and occupation.. but not so many I get overuse injuries ("tennis elbow") or flare up my plantar fascitis.

Last edited:
This week I missed my middle of the week run day (Wed) due to extreme snow issues.
So far this week I have 2 solid runs..plus one Iron pump ( mostly upper body but 3 sets of squats added) for 3 Xercises for the week.

Tomorrow I will have the time to add a full body iron pump covering every muscle group in my body.. Consisting of 14 distinct exercises of mostly 3 sets each (some only 2 sets however to minimize chance of overuse injury)... guesstimate 1hr :10 min duration.

this will give me 4 decent workouts for the week meeting my objective.

I believe in the past 6 weeks I have met my objective (4 exercises) every single week.
My Threshold is 3 (emergency minimum) objective is 4 and goal is 5 (which never seems to happen)

Even tho I'd hate to admit it I am definitely into middle age now.. so maybe 4 per week is my golden middle.
Enough workouts to make me better and a beast compared to my peers in age and occupation.. but not so many I get overuse injuries ("tennis elbow") or flare up my plantar fascitis.

Do you have a foot sleeve for the plantar facitis?
I had it so bad a few years ago, I could barely walk in the mornings.
I had to go to a foot guy and he gave me a very tight foot sleeve and a set of really high arch insoles. Solved the problem in about 10 days. Try and get your hands on some, should fix it up.

I have one.. and I stretch and i take anti inflammatories prior or after most workouts.. I had 1 steriod shot but onyl 1 in my life time in right heel.
If I run less than 5 times a week on flat terrain or less than 1 time a week (ie never) on hard hills it usually stays away.
My current running route is mostly flat with 2 moderate hills.. one in the middle and one near the end so i dont hit them until I am as warmed up as can be.

I got it first when I was doing HARD hill runs 6 days a week back in my early 40s.
When I run hardish I can often feel the tingle in the heels of it wanting to come back and then I pay more attention to it.
Often ice it down too.

Last edited:
Friday fun day. 15 mins on power mill with pack for warm up, then TRX workout 3 sets superman pushups with a pike wearing a pack, 3 sets of elevated rows and 3 sets of runners lunges, that's what I call those exercises. Then power wheel workout for core and chest, alligator walk, inch worms and then plyometric push ups and then reverse crawl. Finish in the ninja warrior room for my chin ups off the hanging balls and door jam chin-ups and inverted chin-ups on hanging saucers. Fat bike ride to work and back home at end of day.

My Saturday workout is very similar to my Sunday workout. I got an email from a friend who had his third pacemaker installed this year. He was ready to try shooting his 223 (mini 14) so I met him at the range at 9:am. Frozen puddles and a South wind at 15 mph was not the ideal weather but I set my new chronograph up and we began firing. We were done by noon and I tried to get a report on our sessions but it is a new device and I have a lot to learn. We worked on the club fire wagon (500 gallon tank of water on a trailer with a gas powered pump and hose setup) for an hour and although it will run and pump a pretty good stream of water We decided that the carburetor was going to have to come off - a job for a warmer and drier day. We walked over and watched the 3 gun guys play for a while and then decided it was time to go. He was pretty worn out, so I canceled our shoot for tomorrow and told him the weather was supposed to warm up over the next week. I will give him a call when I go out. (he has decided that he is going to get a LabRadar chronograph ordered immediately:thumbs up:.
When I got home I played with the chronograph and learned a bit more about how to display the results of a string of shots and get the information we wanted. Then I pulled the memory card and plugged it into my computer and imported the files into my spreadsheet program. WOW! I get a full report on all the shots in the string and another full page for each shot showing the velocity at less than one yard increments out to where the radar loses its track. So I saved the information to a new folder on my computer and generate a report with all the pertinent information, export it as a PDF and then sent Charlie an email with all his reports in PDF format. Charlie is not real good with computers but I know he has a PDF reader. He can either print the first page out for his records or copy the information and paste that to a document for his records. (We both keep records of all our load work, even the ones that don't work)
After that I was busy in the kitchen cutting and packing meat for the freezer and putting it away. I am tired now so I am relaxing with you fine folks.

My Saturday workout wound up not as heroic as planned.. Got late to the Gym.. no training partner in sight and did only 9 exercises instead of the orgy I had planned

- 3 sets of pullups ( some assisted)
- 2 sets of sit-ups (started cramping up a bit)
- 2 sets of hip adductions
- 2 sets of hip abductions
- 2 sets of free standing military dumbbell press
- 2 sets of incline dumbell press
- 3 sets of lateral raises
- 3 sets of frontal raises
- Back extensions.. Ideally this would have been 2 nice deep sets on roman chair.. my gym however does not have a roman chair .....so I substituted in one set of back extensions on our terrible back extension machine, plus one set of back extensions on a mostly un suitable sit-up chair plus one set of light deadlifts. This was in the hope Iwould get the equivalent of 2 good sets of back extensions on a roman chair from all that.

What you don't see is squats. I usually include them but I ran hard yesterday and the day before that did 3 sets of squats so I skipped them today in favor of the hip adductions and hip abductions (which are great to improve stability when moving with load in difficult terrain)

So this week not too bad yet.
Monday : Run... a bit of a breakthrough run a lot faster than usually.. finally more of a run rather than a mere jog..
Tuesday: Solid Iron Pump. Focused on upp body only.. which is rare for me but I was in the mood for it and I view this workout as mostly my "weapons handler":
-Bent over rows (w/ pad): 3 heavy sets to muscle failure
-Sit-ups: on set to just short of the cramp up point
-Standing military dumbbell press: 2 sets (40 lbs each dumbell)
-Incline bench Dumbell press: 2 sets (50lbs each dumbell))
- Flat bench Dumbell press 2 sets (60 lbs each dumbell)
- Lateral raises: 3 sets
- Frontal raises: 3 sets
- Weird should rotational shoulder exercise I made up myself but have been later told is a wrestling exercise: 3 sets
- Shooting exercise: Self invented.. am holding 2 dumbbells, (only 5 lbs each as I am really spent at this point) , face one way w/ hands down in patrol ready.. turn head, body, "weapon" bringing up the weights in front of me inline w/ each other like a rifle.. is basically a modified form of the frontal raise..... repeat the other direction... do unto failure= 1 set. Did 2 sets. When I was done my shoulder were so blown I struggled to park my truck despite powersteering... was totally beat.

Wednesday: Today, a run.. also nicely faster than I did in recent months tho not quite as quick as Monday.. (was angry on monday)
Tommorrow: I will do a ruck march or take day off not sure yet.
Friday: run
Saturday full body iron pump IF I can squeeze it in before I go shooting at a buddy's range.

Workouts are going extremely well in the gym but my shoulder is bothering me a bit. I'm altering my Tues chest workout to compensate, 1 less incline exercise and substituting flat bench with a cambered bar for an extreme stretch. Dips are feeling a lot better. I've always said that if the exercise gods let me do 2 exercises for the rest of my life with no problems, mine would be dips and deadlifts. Riding consistently to work on my fat bike now getting ready for my summer season.

I get were your coming from... Dips and deadlifts are powerful exercises.....but they are both easy to be injurious...Dips for example are hard on shoulders and elbows.. I used to be something of Dip King.. 20 Dips in perfect form....I no longer do them... ... I suspect Dips were contributing a great deal to my occasion shoulder and elbow injuries.

Just did my Friday run as planned. I may be in my 50s now but regular exercise has kept my movements and my gait as that of a much younger man.. when PPL see me from a distance they often dont realize its me since the way since my gait makes them think of a guy in his 20/30s.. happend to me twice in past year and I know I am not even close to be the upper 1% in shape on this board.

At my work there are many 20 something and 30 something young men and I could outrun most ...and outfight hand to hand probably all of them, except that one guy.. and he ironically is even a few yrs older than me

I do not say this to brag but to remind everyone that unless you are downright disabled you would be surprised the level of shape you can get into ,even when older, as long you you exercise regularly and smartly.

This week going ok. no run on Monday, yesterday did a decent upper body.. would have included squats but the squat rack was crowded and by the time it was available i was in a different phase of my workout.
So it wound up being pure upper body... chest, tris, bis, back and shoulder work out.. especially shoulder...

Latest posts

Back