Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my legs are still sore from yesterdays ruck march and mOndays squats..

I could easily ruck tonite still.. but I wonder if it better to hold off to give rest to the muscles... thoughts?

my legs are still sore from yesterdays ruck march and mOndays squats..

I could easily ruck tonite still.. but I wonder if it better to hold off to give rest to the muscles... thoughts?
You could just do a fast walk for 30 or 40 minutes with no pack. Just enough to get your pulse up into the cardio zone but not enough to really tax your muscles.

i just got up from my desk and canxed that exercise idea. just walking to the other side of the room was an effort, my legs still being sore

Last edited:
Today.. I almost didn't do my workout out.
I had originally wanted to do it early.. but then it got busy at work and 3 hours later I had time but by then I was very hungry.. and I started to tell myself.. "well if I eat then I can exercise late in the evening, maybe with a run or ruck march and come back to gym tommorow".... but lets face it... once i had my big mid day meal exercising is getting real unlikely..
And postponed often means cancelled.

So after back and forth and nearly getting into my car to drive home I decided to head into the gym...
I am glad I did..
this is what I did in order

3x sets assisted pullups
3x sets light (ish) weight military press
2 x planks
3 sets seated row
3 sets frontal raises
3 sets lateral raises
3 sets shoulder shrugs
3 sets seated leg press.

The plan is to do cardios both of the weekend days.

I started walking the neighborhood again (not a favorite), and working out on my Pilates thing. Put the springs on the tougher setting because the other setting was too easy. I did 5 different sets of 10 each for arms and legs.
My daughters are daring me to quit drinking sodas so I can work on my abs with Russian twists. We'll see. I gained 5 pounds since I quit my other job and this worldwide disaster shut us down. And my biceps, I need to keep them going.
No excuses!!

I think, if you have any feeling like a run is too much, that a loaded walk or ruck march is probably best because it's not as rough on joints and connective tissue. I assume your route includes terrain so you get some extra conditioning benefit. I've never done a ruck march but I do know that even a light pack makes me work a lot harder on my hikes.

Probably best not to overdo it at this stage. Age + lack of condition makes it harder for sure...

Tell me about it! 😁

I started walking the neighborhood again (not a favorite), and working out on my Pilates thing. Put the springs on the tougher setting because the other setting was too easy. I did 5 different sets of 10 each for arms and legs.
My daughters are daring me to quit drinking sodas so I can work on my abs with Russian twists. We'll see. I gained 5 pounds since I quit my other job and this worldwide disaster shut us down. And my biceps, I need to keep them going.
No excuses!!

I gained 3 inches in my wasite so its muscle I'm losing.
I got back to working out a little more last couple days though.Thing is what I'm eating not what I doing.I'm eating junk I have touched in years. Prison does that to you.

Today.. I almost didn't do my workout out.
I had originally wanted to do it early.. but then it got busy at work and 3 hours later I had time but by then I was very hungry.. and I started to tell myself.. "well if I eat then I can exercise late in the evening, maybe with a run or ruck march and come back to gym tommorow".... but lets face it... once i had my big mid day meal exercising is getting real unlikely..
And postponed often means cancelled.

So after back and forth and nearly getting into my car to drive home I decided to head into the gym...
I am glad I did..
this is what I did in order

3x sets assisted pullups
3x sets light (ish) weight military press
2 x planks
3 sets seated row
3 sets frontal raises
3 sets lateral raises
3 sets shoulder shrugs
3 sets seated leg press.

The plan is to do cardios both of the weekend days.

Good choice. What I put off till later seldom happens.

10 minute warm-up, 4 minutes at 4.5 mph, 2 minutes at a 7mph run, 4 more minutes at 4.5 mph

Dumbbell squats x3
Dumbbell bent over rows x2
EZ bar curls x3
Barbell hip thrusts x3
Row machine x3
Abductors machine x3
Preacher curl machine x3

Will edit later if I get some cardio tonight but I'm thinking it's not happening... ;)

Edit: 3 miles on the bike with my daughter. Didn't time it, but it wasn't too strenuous. Still counts though...

Last edited:
Did a nice fast ruckmarch in the rain today : )

This brings me to 4 workouts for the week.
Which is a nice place to be after months of physical decay.

Yesterday: a solid run.

Today Gym

3x sets close arm pushups to failure (this was not a lot of reps per set as i have gotten heavy and am not used to close arm push ups)
3x sets assisted pull up to failure
2 x sets planks
3x sets deadlifts (first time in months i done this exercise and it smoked me)
2x sets situps.. first time in months I did situps... so I did not do well
3x times farmers walk

There was probbaly another exercise I am forgetting..

Having to wear a mask during all this was a big problem.. the mask quickly got wet from my sweat and hugged my face allowing very little breathing.
So while this may not seem as extensive as some of my other workouts it really smoked me. I nearly passed out during the situps and nearly vomited after the farmers walk.

Last edited:
Today I again tried some exercises different from my normal routine..

My normal routine is designed to support infantry type activities but I still need to mix it up a bit
So today, in order:

3x Sets close arm pushups to failure... push-ups are a lot easier to me now then even two weeks ago

3x Sets of Seated row to failure

4x times plank

8 minutes of Stretches

3x sets dumbbell standing military press to failure

2 x sets hip tuck

4x times farmers walk to near failure (failure defined as drop of weight)

1x sets of sit ups (only one set, because I was actually, not figuratively, passing out near the end.. just barely caught myself)
I was gonna call it a day and go right then, but after I recovered a bit decided to still squeeze in some:

3 x sets frontal raises (raises, especially frontal, are important to have a stable arm for firing your carbine from standing unsupported)

still planning on a run in the evening..

No fate but what we make..

Last edited:
Three weeks ago Strawberry and I started new exercise program for the both of us.
Me because I get stiff and need to build more leg muscles.
Her because she's a tad bit chunky.
First week we walked we only made 6.4 miles for the week.
Most days that week we weren't even hitting a mile or even a half mile.
But we keep working on it.
Second week we made 12.9 miles, most days we were hitting 1.42 miles.
A few days we hit 2.37 miles, we keep going building muscles, loosing weight.
Last week we had a set back, but it happens.
We only did 10.6 miles..
Hopefully we will hit 15 miles this week, maybe.
Not too bad for old broad whom just had her second knee replaced this year.
I also exercise, but not like BlueZ and Spikedriver, not with the intense program.
But do like doing Zuma, sweating to the oldies,aerobics.

Last edited:
Three weeks ago Strawberry and I started new exercise program for the both of us.
Me because I get stiff and need to build more leg muscles.
Her because she's a tad bit chunky.
First week we walked we only made 6.4 miles for the week.
Most days that week we weren't even hitting a mile or even a half mile.
But we keep working on it.
Second week we made 12.9 miles, most days we were hitting 1.42 miles.
A few days we hit 2.37 miles, we keep going building muscles, loosing weight.
Last week we had a set back, but it happens.
We only did 10.6 miles..
Hopefully we will hit 15 miles this week, maybe.
Not too bad for old broad whom just had her second knee replaced this year.
I also exercise, but not like BlueZ and Spikedriver, not with the intense program.
But do like doing Zuma, sweating to the oldies,aerobics.

Surprise surprise MoBook, good to see you here.:thumbs:
These guys are younger and more serious in soem ways than most but they help inspire me to keep on keeping on. i try not to get in their way,lol,but they are nice and help me to keep going when I give up.

About time to dance and swing the ol mop,too hot to dig ,too hot to fish and too old at home.;).
Part of my rec room equipment.Lots of reps ,stretches and squats getting under things with Mr Mop.

OLD FAITHFUL. Alomost as old as some of you about 40 now.
1592847869905.png

Latest posts

Back