Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Legs today....

Squats 7 sets 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4 ,2, 2. Increase weight each set.

Leg press "......"

Leg extension "......."

Hamstring curl "......"

Lower leg soleus lift "....." interspersed with standing gastroc burns 7 sets of 10.

Sit ups 7 sets on decline bench increasing decline and adding weight each set.

1 hr cardio on exercise bike.

Leg day one of my shorter days in the gym but feels good. Also tennis tonight for more cardio.

Wow!!

Shoulder day......

Standing push press 7 sets 12, 10, 8 ,6 ,4, 2, 2

Lateral shoulder raise "...."

Front shoulder raise "...."

Posterior shoulder raise "......"

Straight bar shoulder raise "......"

Hanging leg circles (? Whatever you call it when you hang from pull up bar and bring legs around in circle from right to left and then right to left for one rep) 4 sets of 10.

1 hr cardio exercise bike.

Arm day.......

Seated Curl bar 7 sets 12 10,8,6,4,2,2
Triceps press (nosebreakers) "...."
Hammer curl dumbbells "....."
Dips 5 sets of 10
Straight bar curls "....."
Forearm curl".."
Forearm extension "..."
Sit up same as leg day
Skipping 1 hr cardio but playing tennis tonight for a couple hours and tomorrow morning as well.

Last edited:
I get were your coming from... Dips and deadlifts are powerful exercises.....but they are both easy to be injurious...Dips for example are hard on shoulders and elbows.. I used to be something of Dip King.. 20 Dips in perfect form....I no longer do them... ... I suspect Dips were contributing a great deal to my occasion shoulder and elbow injuries.

Dips and squats bad on knees. If I tried to squat I'd be dipped. :eek:

Im still going to stick with the weights, because its my stress relief, but my Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun, run days are going to have a lot more cardio and circuit training thrown into the mix.

So far, I've been hovering around 195-200lbs for the last week or so, I should be losing around 1-2 pounds a week, will see what things are on Friday.
I blame my pastry chef and her homemade ice cream.
Justin soon you will be getting plenty of exercise if you still plan on the rural life. And it is good your getting in shape cause your going to need it unless you have money for heavy equipment.
Our ' logs ' are real logs and I had to use a hand truck to move one and still wondered if my spleen was bruised ' again '. A good double dig is a real workout too so work out.

Forgot about this.

Monday chest day.

Barbell bench flat 8 sets 12,10 8,6,4,3,2,2

Barbell decline press "...."

Barbell incline press "...."

Skull crushers "...."

Flat crossovers "......"

Lower pec crossover "....."

Upper pec crossover "....."

Flat bar bench (heavy weight) 3 set of 3

Decline bar bench "...."

Incline bar bench "..."

Same sit up workout

1 hr cardio bike

Last edited:
Tuesday back day

Dead lifts 8 sets 12 10,8,6,4,3,2,2 (weight increase each set)

Pull ups 5 sets of 5 (I suck at pullups)

Shrugs (heavy)"..same as deadlifts.."

Barbell shrugs 3 sets of 20 (burns)

Straight arm pull downs "...same as deadlifts.."

Close hand lat pull downs"..."

Wide arm lat pulls "...."

Wide arm row pulls "....."

Hanging leg circles 3 sets of 10

1 hr cardio bike

Been super busy lately, bicycle miles up to 112 miles this week. Chased watts in gym on training bike today 2.1 w/kg over 45 m ins. A little down but had a hard 28 mile bad weather ride yesterday. Squats and d/l all up. Start testing granny gears on the borrowed bike next week. Have a double century at the end of the summer through some mountainy terrain. At 58 it will be an interesting trip to meet all checkpoint times. Watched Lance Armstrong doc. he was 7.1 or so w/kg. Can't reach that but I'll find out what my limits are.

@musketjim Okay I will bite "What is a training ride"? Please a little more info for us (me) ignorant folks.
Sorry should have been specific.:( I'm training for a 200 mile bicycle race at the end of summer, and these training rides are rides where I'm tracking my miles and average pace to make sure I can make cutoff times. On the spinning bikes in the gym I'm tracking how many watts I generate per kg body weight. I've never tracked this before as the old gym bikes didn't have the tech to do it. At his best Lance Armstrong was a little over 7 watts per kg. Off the charts. So 2.3 is pretty mundane but it's an improvement for me. Had my longest ride of the season at 38 miles. Next week I start summer vacation so I can really start upping my long rides. I also lay off the weights and switch over to TRX bodyweight workouts to slim up a bit. That will help my watt/kg numbers I hope. Looking at approx. 60 miles per ride and in a couple weeks 90 then 100 a couple weeks after that. I'll peak at about 150 a couple weeks out from the race. I've never attempted anything like this so I'm just adjusting my 100 mile run schedule to 200 mile bike and see what happens. :confused:

@musketjim Thanks for the update. I was really scratching my old noggin trying to figure it out. I am going to wish you luck on your race. That is way out of my league. Please keep us (the members) posted on your progress.

Just purchased a new road bike, it's a Specialized Roubaix. We used gift certificates purchased from a radio auction and the bike was already on sale. Most expensive bike I've owned and got it at a great price. A couple training rides on it to start adjusting to it. I'll be out of town for the next few days then I'll have my first long trip on it. 108 miles over 2 days. Just a fun ride with some friends not a race that comes a few weeks later. I'm only racing myself. Younger guys with bikes even better than mine are hard to keep up with. I ride to challenge myself. :fun fun:Ah to be young again.:cry:

Today:. Short run approx 3.5 miles but it was like 95 out there.
yesterday: 3 sets pullups ( wide arm w/ assist), 3 sets dips (unassisted), 3 sets squats, 2 sets sit ups, 2 sets hip abductions, 2 sets hip adductions, 2 sets lateral raises , 2 sets frontal raises. Skipped farmers walk and bench presses as I was in a hurry to get back to my desk..

Last edited:
Skipped yesterday's run (Thursday) since my legs still felt sore from Wednesdays run and Tuesdays Squats.
Today did a upper body (As usual for weapons handling purposes heavy emphasis on Shoulders but also respectable effort on Upper Back + Chest and a respectable secondary arm effect from working on the others).
Felt a bit guilty to include no lower body.
So Tommorrow run or Ruck march to save the week and give me my minimum of 4 workouts ( 2 iron pumps and 2 cardios)

Ok just saved the week. I decided my threshold is 4 exercises a week ( 2 iron pumps and 2 good cardios, usually this means runs).

Met my threshold for the week by today (Sunday) with a 2nd run for the week. Since I already did 2 iron pumps I feel ok about the week.
My objective is 5 w/o a week and the goal ( which happens only rarely) is 6. But threshold is 4 thats enough to maintain and even increase a bit.

A weekend of hard riding, 57 miles first day 51 the second. Averaged 14 mph first day, a lot of hills and almost 16 mph the second. Had a ride of 28 miles last Thurs., so I should bump up to 60 miles later this week, maybe twice, since I'm faster on my new bike.

Nice I use to ride mine a lot but only around here on our dirt roads. And when we go to the beach or ride in the city. it is a forward pedal Townie Electra for those of us with bad knees and backs. Had them for about 16 years now.

Yesterday ( Monday) Run.. kinda shortish (3.2 miles) and not very fast (it was hot)... But sprinted it out very hard at the end.
Today: I was SO not in the mood to work out.. just wanted to go home after.. and was real tired... sat in car in front of gym for a few minutes before I went in thinking of going home..but went in anyway.. small victories...
3 sets of (assisted) wide arm pullups
3 sets of (unassited!) Dips
1 set of sit ups
3 sets of back extensions
2 sets of incline bench ( dumbells)
3 sets of frontal raises
3 sets of lateral raises
3 sets of shoulder shrugs.
Tomorrow ( Wednesday): locked in for a run

This is shaping up to be a really good week for exercise.

Its Thursday nite and so far 2 runs this week and 2 Iron pumps... one of which was full body one was weapons handling.
I am locked in for a run tomorrow and on Saturday I will do another full body work out (unless my buddy invites me to his range which will also be a kind of exercise as I practice mostly dynamic shooting)

This will give me a total of 6 exercises for the week. Even active duty Infantrymen rarely work out more often than this.

There is a Storm on the horizon..... best get ready.

With breaks in my training shooting down consistency I backed down to the century bike this weekend instead of the 200. I peaked this week with my fastest ride over distance. 15.6mph over 51 miles and then peaked today in the gym, 2.4 w/kg over 30 mins. Don't know how these numbers stack up against other bicyclists that will be there but they're as good as I can be right now. I'm only racing against myself but I don't want to look to bad. I had some good back to back rides the last month or so with double 50+'s and 6o+'s. My longest ride was 80 miles a few weeks ago before a break in the action. My new bike is fantastic, so fortunate to get it, still haven't figured out the whole clip in shoe thing so I'll be riding flats. That's how I've been training so no big deal.

So its Wednesday.

Did a very nice Iron Pump on Monday;

- 3 sets of lat pulls (done instead of pullups, also a climbing enabler)
- 3 sets free standing military press with dumbbells
- 3 sets incline bench press ( dumbells). I am liking the incline bench more and more.. I believe its a similar angle+ movement that you use when getting up from cover, or when pushing a guy or when holding your rifle from the prone.
- 3 sets of seated rows
- 1 set of sit ups 'til failure
- 3 sets of frontal raises
- 3 sets of lateral raises
- 2 sets of back extensions

(Did not do squats since i had just had a particularly hard ruckmarch on Sunday nite and could still feel it)

Tuesday:
had a nice run ,harder than normal since i was pushing for time a bit ( still slow since its me tho)

Wednesday (today) : Am heading out to the Gym right now to do an approximate repeat of Monday

Last edited:
Tonite was:

3 sets lateral raises (for climbing)
3 sets military free standing dumbell press (shoulders and a bit of core)
3 sets of incline bench (same angle as when pushing myself off the ground more realistic angle IMO than push-ups))
2 sets of frontal raises (weapons handling)
2 sets of lateral raises (a little bit for weapons handling a little bit for vanity)
3 sets of bent over rows (pulling casualties off the ground or out of a vehicle)
3 times farmers walk (for litter carry and ammo can carry)
2 sets back extensions (for movement with load in terrain)

Tomorrow Ruck march.
Friday morning run
.. then drive to the range and prepare range for my groups Saturday training
Saturday Spend all day at the Carbine range running the lanes as primary trainer for my group (this is a leg workout and a half)

Last edited:
Last week worked out well (as described in previous post)
yesterday I did nothing..

But today I did a good workout:

3 sets close arm pull ups
3 sets dips
3 sets wide arm lat pulls
1 set sit ups
2 sets bent over rows
3 sets frontal raises
3 sets lateral raises
3 time farmers walk
2 sets back extensions.

All this in under 40 minutes.

After my last set of last exercise I nearly passed out.
Maybe because i dont usually do both farmers walk and back extensions in rapid succession.. usually its either/or for the day not both.

And when I say nearly passed out I mean this quite literal.
I was real dizzy and at one point my vision even started greying and i struggled to stand.

My century (100) mile ride went well. I had wisely decided that the 200 was out of reach with my sporadic training. Right decision. Learned a lot and was able to attack the hills on the last 22 mile climbs portion through the pass. That was cool. Now I'm riding for fun. I'm also back in the gym lifting again and my heavy season starts in about 3 weeks.

Yesterday was an off day.

Today went to Gym (didnt do the hardest exercises, pull ups and dips, today since it had been too recent since eating)

4 sets of lat pulls
2 sets of standing military dumbell press
2 sets of incline dumbbell bench press (heavy)
2 sets of bent over rows
3 sets of frontal raises
3 sets of lateral raises
4 farmers walks
2 sets of back extentions.

Now I am enjoying a white russian topped with whipped cream :)

Tommorrow either Run or Ruckmarch

Last edited:
Last week worked out well (as described in previous post)
yesterday I did nothing..

But today I did a good workout:

3 sets close arm pull ups
3 sets dips
3 sets wide arm lat pulls
1 set sit ups
2 sets bent over rows
3 sets frontal raises
3 sets lateral raises
3 time farmers walk
2 sets back extensions.

All this in under 40 minutes.

After my last set of last exercise I nearly passed out.
Maybe because i dont usually do both farmers walk and back extensions in rapid succession.. usually its either/or for the day not both.

And when I say nearly passed out I mean this quite literal.
I was real dizzy and at one point my vision even started greying and i struggled to stand.

You be careful Bluez, you know most people who live to be 100 or more don't work out but they do stay busy and sociable. Don't injure yourself .

Latest posts

Back