Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You be careful Bluez, you know most people who live to be 100 or more don't work out but they do stay busy and sociable. Don't injure yourself .

Today I didnt get quite as close to passing out at the end of the back extensions.
For some reason they always kick my behind in a big way.
Probably because I have a lot of weight up top (shoulders upper back and arms) so they gas me more than most ppl.

I got dizzy again today.. but then I again did farmers walk right before.
I think its slowly getting less of an issue as i get in better shape.
Also this way even though my iron pumps are not strictly cardio events if I get gassed I clearly get a cardio benefit as well.

I just want to get back into my active duty shape and I am very very close..

Today I didnt get quite as close to passing out at the end of the back extensions.
For some reason they always kick my behind in a big way.
Probably because I have a lot of weight up top (shoulders upper back and arms) so they gas me more than most ppl.

I got dizzy again today.. but then I again did farmers walk right before.
I think its slowly getting less of an issue as i get in better shape.
Also this way even though my iron pumps are not strictly cardio events if I get gassed I clearly get a cardio benefit as well.

I just want to get back into my active duty shape and I am very very close..

Well be careful Bluez. If you strain or hurt yourself that will set you back further.:great:

Thanks for the kind words..

So yesterday I went swimming in our communal pool where i live.
It was raining which kept the families away so I was able to swim laps for 30 minutes.
It was a lot of fun somehow to be in the water while it rained.

Today I ate way too much so I made sure I did some of the hardest exercises to me at the Gym while also mixing it up just a tad:

- 3 sets of close arm pull ups
- 3 sets of dips
- 3 sets of squats
- 3 sets of frontal raises
- 3 sets of lateral raises
- 2 sets of bent over rows
- 3 sets of a weird exercise i learned from a trainer here.. Not sure what you'd call it.. there is a 60 lbs bag with handles.. and you pick it up and throw it behind you over your back and/or head.. did 6-8 reps for a "set". Super exhausting..
- 2 sets of calf raises

Last edited:
Ran today. In the heat of the day on a sunny route. It kicked my behind.. had to stop after only 2 miles and walk the rest as I could sense I was about to become a heat casualty.

I prefer to run in the heat of the day to challenge mysself.. but today was abridge too far with the high humidity and my poor eating and sleeping habits in previous 24 hrs.

As of today I met the threshold for the week ( 4 workouts)
Tommorrow I hope to run and do an iron pump.. then I will have 6 workouts for the week.

Doubled up Saturday as planned. Sunday off. Today ( Monday) ran during lunch break and hit iron pump in evening.
Since I had already run today and will run again tomorrow did not do squats.

3 sets of pullups
3 sets of dips
3 sets incline dumbbell Bench press
2 sets of bent over rows
3 sets of frontal raises
2 sets of lateral raises
4 sets of a goofy new exercise a trainer showed me were you pick up heavy bag throw it behind our back... seems to load the legs and lower back and cardio.

Last edited:
Alright are we still doing this? :)

So this week was like this:

Monday:
Run (Lunch time)
Iron Pump (Evening)
Tuesday:
Run (Lunchtime)
Wednesday and Thursday.. did nothing was on the road..
Friday:
Run (Lunchtime)
Iron Pump in evening (my right elbow complained bitterly when I started out on close arm pullups.. was a unpleasant surprise especially since i had 3 days break being iron pumps..so I stopped and went to lat pulls instead.. in the end it was still a good workout did a total of 9 seperate exercises, many of them at 2 sets instead of 3 sets though)
Saturday (Today):
Ruck March ( since I already had 3 runs this week and since I skipped squats at the gym I sub this in instead of another run)

This will give me a total of: Two full body Iron pumps, mostly with upper body emphasis but some legs and core included too, three runs, one ruck march.

Bluez, my idea of a good workout at my age is dancing to the oldies, double digging garden,etc,. But seems like you are really getting it done with yours, :great:

BlueZ a couple years ago I use to ride my bike for exercise. But after a fall I stopped that. And I wasn't even moving ,I as standing still holding it up turned and fell. Thats what happens when you take a break from exercise. Imagine if I was riding when it happened.:ghostly:

This 91 Y.O. lady never took a break so she is still going 'strong, pun intended.

Meerkat.. yes its hard to get back into it after a long break.. Its been taking me almost 1.5 years to get back into active duty shape.
I know this one guy who is 72.

And he exercises 4-5 times a week but he never takes a week off.

Staying in shape is within his abilities.. Getting back into shape may not be.. and he knows this.. so he works hard at staying in shape so he never has to work to get back into shape.. which we all know is harder.

Meerkat.. yes its hard to get back into it after a long break.. Its been taking me almost 1.5 years to get back into active duty shape.
I know this one guy who is 72.

And he exercises 4-5 times a week but he never takes a week off.

Staying in shape is within his abilities.. Getting back into shape may not be.. and he knows this.. so he works hard at staying in shape so he never has to work to get back into shape.. which we all know is harder.

I agree. it is harder and don't think you ever get back all you lose after a long break but you can get back some of it.
Exercise is good even if it is just dancing in your chair till you do it standing up. I can really tell in many ways when I don't exercise . Breathing problems, tiredness and even depression.

Over 2000k this summer on my bikes. Been a good summer. Long wet rainy ride today. My lifting season starts Thursday. I toy with the weights over the summer and hit it hard in the Fall. My Century ride went well this summer and now I'll start working towards my 100 mile winter run in Feb. Don't want to be a one trick pony. This lifting season I'm going to try sumo deadlifting with a double overhand grip to take stress off an old elbow injury.

Last week was a little slow for me due to a range day and some travel involved: 2 iron pumps and 2 runs.

This week I am doing an all day Carbine range for myself on Friday and teaching a Tactical Carbine class on Saturday.. so I am in danger of getting a weak exercise week once again especially since travel is also involved..(At least its a good sign in a way though.. A year ago I would have been quite satisfied with a week of 4 workouts like this. Weeks like this ultimately enabled me to the 6 exercises a week schedule I have now.)

So I started the week strong.
Doubled up on Monday with a run and an Iron pump and did a ruck march yesterday. so I am already at 3 workouts for the week and its only Wednesday morning.

Today will do as a minimum a run and do an Iron pump either tonite or tommorrow noonish before hitting the road.
Tomorrow morning a run regardless whether I do Iron pump at noon or not.
So a run today and a run tomorrow morning.
The only uncertainty is if I do my iron pump tonite (which would be alot easier to schedule than on tomorrow travel day) or tommorrow.
This will give me 5 or 6 workouts before i hit the road this week ( and being on range on all day is a light leg workout in itself)

Scheduling wise tonite would be better BUT I have been developing a slight case of tendonitis in my right elbow ..so I am thinking an extra day of space from Monday might be good.

I been throttling back on those exercise that cause it the most (pull ups) but my elbow complained on Monday (and late last week) even with some non causative exercises or lightly causative exercises ( lat pulls)

So I intend to sanitize causative exercises out of my program and substitute less elbow stressful ones on my iron pumps and reduce my iron pumps to twice a week ( from 3 times a week)... even so .. waiting an extra day to Thursday rather than today for the iron pump may be a good idea.
I might even wait all thew way until Sunday.. OR if I do it tonite and it goes well try for 3 iron pumps this week and see how it goes.

This will be my new lighter Iron Pump schedule:

3 sets of free Standing dumbbell military press
3 sets of incline bennch
1 set of sit ups
3 sets of bent over rows (the only pull exercise I put in.. since a pull exercise has caused this... but this is one where since my hand hangs free, there is no lateral stress on the elbows.. so hopeful it will be ok... I dont want to make pulls zero because I dont want to lose gains)
3 sets of frontal raises
2 sets of lateral raises
3-4 farmers walks (Hopefully this will be ok w/ my elbow.. I did shoulder shrugs on monday which is light on elbows, but a little harder than farmer walk and it did feel a bit problematic)
3 sets of back extensions.. Upping my game to 3 sets from 2.. usually these bring me close to passing out... but training effects are kicking in and these come much easier to me now in past week.

Last edited:
I been disappointed with my run performance as of late... thought maybe cut down on the iron pumps as I seemed superslow and for months it would seem I would have not been able to pass either the USMC or Army run again.
But last night I had a great run. Finally a run that deserves the name "run" not "jog".. Based on my experience (the one day I forgot my watch!! argh)I believe this was fast enough to pass both Army and USMC standards for my age. Barely to be sure but still pass...That is all.

Last edited:
Nice workouts.
Quite the motivational speaker. lol

I do hope it inspires folks. I make these posts mostly for that reason to spark ideas and get people going...
No matter what one's level of physique improvement is always possible.

I started 18 months ago as a weak fatso who had let himself go after the military and struggled to get out of a hotel chair in the lobby..No resilience at all.

Now its quite different..

Oh, that's inspiring.
You like exercising in the heat. I guess that helps. Haha?
I'm not too overweight. I'm within 10 pounds of attaining my ideal weight. You can laugh over that.
Never thought I'd get there but was only 20 pounds over it. The biggest change has been my activity level with my job. I know I'm a lot stronger and can last longer than before but this Texas heat makes me not want to exercise, walk, hike, or bike.
Weights are another thing I could be doing. I need to work on my forearms so I can beat my daughter at arm wrestling. My forearms have always looked very small.

Maybe we could all do a little group meet up fro exercise here in the mornings.
And one fro the late nighters in the PM.

I'm all over the place with my schedule but I'm game.
What do you mean, like the posts the guys have been doing?

Yes like them. We could say what we did daily to get exercise .
We can use this thread or start another which ever you, Justine and Blues thinks is best.

Or you can post in here!
I mean it is called the "Training Logs" thread ;)

Training Log: I am in the middle of a move so it was harder this week:

This week I ran 3 times (slow but it was HOT!) and pumped Iron once.

It's Thursday nite and that will likely be "it" for the week since the next 3 days are lots of driving repacking etc., so I knew I had to use every day while I was still in my apt with access to the routes I am used to and the Gym.

My Iron pump frequency is lowered from 3 times a week to once or twice due to some inflammation in my elbow.

When it starts cooling down, I hope to start running. My daughters run together, they are very young adults, and it is working for them. They are just as skinny as I used to be. ;)

When it starts cooling down, I hope to start running. My daughters run together, they are very young adults, and it is working for them. They are just as skinny as I used to be. ;)

Sounds like an excuse to put it off Patch.:D. Why not keep your endurance levels high while you wait? :confused::)

She's 90 and so limber.
The other thing about exercise...it keeps your bones strong. Less likely, they say, to have broken, weak, or brittle bones if you keep moving.
I enjoyed that vid, @Meerkat

She's 90 and so limber.
The other thing about exercise...it keeps your bones strong. Less likely, they say, to have broken, weak, or brittle bones if you keep moving.
I enjoyed that vid, @Meerkat

It is really :cool:, isn't it? Made me feel good first thing this morning. I'd be lost without music. :)

Latest posts

Back