Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use aspirin.

Got a nice workout in today as part of my fitness renaissance.
Pushes mostly since last time was the opposite movements.

- 3 sets overhead military dumbell press
- 3 sets dumbell flat bench press
- 2 sets frontal raises
- 2 sets lateral raises
- 3 sets shoulder shrugs
- 2 sets calf raises.

This is not as much as my former fitness orgies but the maximum I feel I can do for getting back into it.
And let's not forget this old Axiom:
"Men who will follow orders to kill you exercise every day. Do you?"

Last edited:
After last weeks light workouts getting me readyfor this week of more serious total body workouts.

Just got done with:

3 sets pull ups ( assisted), to enable climbing
3 sets of dips (assisted) an enabler for getting out of cover quickly
3 sets legpress (moderatly heavy) enabler for walking with a load in terrain
3 sets overhead military dumbell press
3 sets incline dumbell bench , enabler for getting out of cover quickly
3 sets frontal raises (weapons handling)
3 sets lateral raises ( weapons handling)
2 sets hip adductions ( enabler for walking in terrain with a load
2 sets hip abduction (enabler for moving in terrain with a load)
3 sets shoulder shrugs (carrying stuff)
2 sets back extensions on roman chair , enabler for mobility in terrain

I did forget one exercise, bent over dumbell rows and/or deadlifts will do next time.

Push day:
Low incline DB press 5x6 45
Goblet squat 4x8 60 DB
DB seated overhead press 3x10 1x8 30DB
Cable chest flyes 3x12
Triceps extension machine 3x12 55
Lateral delt raise 3x17 10DB
Hammer grip Front delt raise 3x17 10DB
Triceps pushdown 2x19 1x16 60 Had to shut this one down early due to pain in left shoulder. Feels like a nerve issue.

My work out today was supposed to have happened yesterday.
This way as I get back into shape it would have allowed me a Mon, Thursday, Sunday schedule for this week given plenty of recovery time for my out of shape muscles and tendons. However something came up yesterday.

it is my hope that this program will help me be tactically useful.

So this is what I did in order:

- 3 sets of Squats (light, since i am not my old self) for mobility under load in terrain
- 3 sets of pullups (assisted), to help with climbing up trenches or over obstacles of any kind
- 3 sets of dips (assisted), to get out of cover quickly
- 2 sets dumbell military Press; to help teammates get over obstacles
- 2 sets hip adductions; for mobility under load in terrain
- 2 sets hip abductions; for mobility under load in terrain
- 2 sets per side Dumbell Bent over rows; carrying stuff
- 3 sets incline bench; to get out of cover quickly
- 3 sets frontal hammer raises (weapons handling)
- 2 sets back extensions on roman chair; for mobility under load in terrain

I skipped a couple exercises, as I noticed I was quickly running out of gas in the second half:
- lateral raises
- calf raises
- Shoulder shrugs

I will see if I feel recovered enough Sunday to do the same again.
Otherwise I will do a light run this weekeend

Last edited:
Pull day:

Deadlift 5x5 225 It felt really good, I probably had more left to give but didn't want to take chances with my lower back
Lat pulldowns 5x6 160
Face pulls 3x13 80
EZ bar curls 3x13 42.5
Rear delt flyes 3x13 10DB superset with 20 second deadweight hangs from the pull up bar, just to enhance grip strength.

Not sure what kind of workouts will be possible at the hotel in California. I'm guessing the equipment will be very limited if not non existent. Will do bodyweight exercises and walking if nothing else is available...

Pull day:

Deadlift 5x5 225 It felt really good, I probably had more left to give but didn't want to take chances with my lower back
Lat pulldowns 5x6 160
Face pulls 3x13 80
EZ bar curls 3x13 42.5
Rear delt flyes 3x13 10DB superset with 20 second deadweight hangs from the pull up bar, just to enhance grip strength.

Not sure what kind of workouts will be possible at the hotel in California. I'm guessing the equipment will be very limited if not non existent. Will do bodyweight exercises and walking if nothing else is available...
Is its a good hotel and it has a gym you can expect at least free weights.
So frontal and lateral flys, airsquats, shoulder shrugs, calfraises, military dumbell press. its at least something...

Is its a good hotel and it has a gym you can expect at least free weights.
So frontal and lateral flys, airsquats, shoulder shrugs, calfraises, military dumbell press. its at least something...
That's what I'm hoping for, treadmill, bike, maybe an elliptical, and a bench with dumbbells up to at least 35 pounds. I could make a decent workout with that. The Best Western I stayed at in Yuma a couple weeks ago, had one of the best setups I've ever seen in a middle tier hotel - dumbbells from 10 to 50 pounds, a flat bench, a cable and stack machine, two treadmills, two bikes, and a stair stepper. Plus a water cooler, which is really nice to have sometimes. This hotel has a conference center, so it can't be too crappy, but it's in a small city of 20,000 people on a backroad out in the desert. I'm not expecting much...

Edit: So, I got my brain in gear and looked at the online customer photos of the hotel. If it's accurate and up to date, there's a bike, an elliptical, 2 treadmills, and a Bowflex machine. That doesn't necessarily mean much though - I've stayed in a lot of places where half the equipment was broken...

Last edited:
My foot is doing better. Hope your nerve in your shoulder isn’t hurting, @Spikedriver . I’m guessing your job is mostly physical. Mine isn’t as physical as it was which means I’ve got to get busy off work and start lifting more and more cardio workouts. I’m having a hard time with a couple things which had previously been easy, but might be because of my foot and not being able to put full weight on it.

My foot is doing better. Hope your nerve in your shoulder isn’t hurting, @Spikedriver . I’m guessing your job is mostly physical. Mine isn’t as physical as it was which means I’ve got to get busy off work and start lifting more and more cardio workouts. I’m having a hard time with a couple things which had previously been easy, but might be because of my foot and not being able to put full weight on it.
That's rough, Patch. It's hard to exercise when it hurts. I'm not sure what the solution is. Maybe just rest and get the foot better before you do much?

Well I am counting yesterdays 90 minute rangeday with its various movement as a workout. :)

I would like to re-iterate the principles of physical fitness instead of routines:

Aerobics (cardio vascular pulmonary heart lungs and blood circulatory systems).
Range of Motion and Agility
Core Training
Strength and Endurance Training
(stamina and strength)
Dynamic static stretching.

Aerobics running, skipping, bicycling, aerobic calisthenics (dance), swimming, bag work, Tae Kwon do, etc. The duration must be greater than 12 minutes because it takes that long for the body stresses to respond to aerobic activity. The ideal aerobic workout is to bring the MTHR maximum target heart rate to 65% to 75% and sustain it for 15-20 minutes. For out of shape people 60% for 15 is good. Some people can do 85% and sustain it for 20 minutes. A two mile run under 14 minutes is ideal for those 28 to 38 years of age. After age 60 it is preferred to finish two miles, but for the athletic seniors, under 20 minutes is just fine.

Range of Motion and Agility are movements like in Luigi Jazz warm ups, lateral bending, windmills, torso twists, etc. These are to keep the body limber and agile. I recommend at least one movement for each dynamic of body articulations.

Core Training sit ups, crunches, back extensions, leg ups, etc.

Strength and Endurance are pull ups, push ups and all of the variances, bar dips, chair push ups, etc. Also weight training using lower weights and higher repetitions and sets than the sport of body building. One formula is 100% of ones authorized body weight for strength development, 50% for maintaining strength and improving endurance, 25% for endurance only. The reason I use "authorized body weight" instead of actual body weight is because of we used actual body weight none of us would be able to lift weights.

100% would be 12-15 reps for one or two sets, 50% 25 reps for 2 or more sets and 25% 25-50 reps (or even 100) for as many sets as one is comfortable with.

"Supplemental" weight training is actually better than "body building" techniques for overall health and fitness, dumbbells, kettle bells, weighted bar baton looking things 4 feet length, etc.

Dynamic Stretching I recommend Hatha Yoga because it can be done in any environment, indoors, outdoors, sunshine, rain, snow, warm, hot, cold, bare feet, boots, sneakers, etc. Dynamic stretching requires at least 15 seconds in each posture, 30 seconds is more ideal.

Those five things using any routines, techniques, exercises and movements will cover a broader scope of fitness and can be adjusted for health, abilities and time available for exercise.

Hope this helps for those who are working on a physical fitness plan.

Now that I have a job where I'm home every day, I hope to establish a regular routine and be able to stick with it long term

10 minute warmup walk on the treadmill
Shoulder dynamic movements - circles, raises, etc

Deadlift 3x10 light
Lat pulldown 3x12 light
Face pulls 3x10
Banded rear delt flyes 3x12
Hammer curls/DB curls 2x16 light

Best to stay with light weights for a bit until I can get used to being in the gym again...

Since I won't be going to the gym for the foreseeable future I've had to come up with a program I can do at home that will keep me in the shape I'm happy with. That's also knee friendly. I have bad osteo in both knees :(

I"m doing a lot of yoga/stretching. I have a resistance band and a kettle bell that I use in creative ways.

And my eating habits have changed too. They had to. Sitting at a computer does not burn calories sadly.

So far so good.

@MoBookworm1957 congrats that's amazing!! Keep up the good work.

I've been running since January. Got my mile time down to 10 min 10 sec (that was my PR).
Been switching it up now with a squat machine I got that is awesome for your core and legs, without hurting your knees (old athletic injuries coupled with 12 hour shifts on your feet aren't helpful)
This week I've done a lot of incline training, been going to the gym right after I get off work. I down a protein shake an hour before my shift is over, get about an hour workout in (running and some form of light weights/resistance exercises) - and then shower and collapse at the RV.
Today, I got off work at 5, and had a meeting at work at 6 - so I just went up and down the stairs for 1/2 an hour (10 flights) - that was a much harder work out! Got super winded and HR got up to 170. Now my legs are shaky.
Yesterday I did arms at the gym and some dude in his 30's was there showing off his ab routine and pumping his fist in the air when he was done. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: That's the one thing that annoys me about the gym....lol

Latest posts

Back