Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I been a little sick this week so no exercise for me so far..

Last edited:
Just finished the week.. 2 runs and 2 iron pumps.. it was not easy to get those done wince i never really seemed to feel like it...

Just finished the week.. 2 runs and 2 iron pumps.. it was not easy to get those done wince i never really seemed to feel like it...

Well it is good to have a workout partner back it inspires me to at least do some form of exercise when not working out side.

I got some reps in today turning the compost in the hot and HUMID sun, only took me about 5 minutes but I could hardly breath once I stopped, so need to take small breaks when lifting that pitch fork.
Then I went up and down the spiral staircase a couple timers for cool down. Whew! The real workout comes with pushing that huge janitors mop around the whole house. We played softball up to age 50 but those days are over. I still like to throw and catch sometimes. I still have my glove from 1978.

I was dancersizing and my dog just took off out of the room. :lil guy::LOL:. Guess she thought I was either having a fit or didn't want ot see the possible accident coming.

VIP -very injured person. haha

Last edited:
Welp, I guess I'm going to get in on this. I've been doing light weight training, walking, and started biking. My weight training has indeed been light - I only have 40lbs of weights, some cheap dumbbell handles, and a Walmart curl bar. But I'm doing just these lifts -
Curls - 4/12
Front raise - 3/12
Side raise - 3/10 (very light weight because of torn rotator cuff)
Shrugs - 4/12 (need more weight to really make these burn)
Overhead Tricep ext. - 3/12
Squats and lunges - 3/10 body weight only (back injury)

Was walking briskly 2 miles but my left heel suddenly started hurting. Suspecting plantar fasciitis - S#&@!!!!

Now biking - attempting to keep pulse above 125 for 40-45 min every day. Been doing about 6 miles daily. Will increase as needed but within just a few days I can already feel my body getting stronger on the bike.

Being that I'm away from home for 16-18 days a month, I can't always keep this plan going if my hotel has no fitness room. But I'm going to give this a serious go this time. The bike has really energized me. I hadn't ridden in over 20 years and I only had a cheap crappy bike back then. Riding a good bike is a pleasure...

Was walking briskly 2 miles but my left heel suddenly started hurting. Suspecting plantar fasciitis - S#&@!!!!

I feel your pain! PF is the biggest threat to my mobility now. I'm too chicken to go in and get injections so I just deal with it right now. If my shoes are too cushy it totally flares my PF. So, I keep wearing my old shoes, which I'm sure is just exaserbating the problem. I really need to take the time and spend the money to go see an orthopedist or physical therapist to see if there's something I can do to ease the pain.

PF:
The only way to exercise while fighting PF is:

- Ice after exercise. possibly in the morning as well if u wake up with the pain.
- No hills
- No sprints
- very careful with lunges... consider not doing them. Squats are ok. When I had PF I did no lunges.
- Naproxen all day total of 800 mg
-gently/slowly Stretching the feet with a towel before even getting out of bed. No walking w/o having stretched.

Do those things now to nip it in the bud before it becomes a real issue

also a steroid injection into the heels (painful) is a immediate cure for most folks. BUT you only "get" a small number of those per lifetime before it does damage rather than help.
I had one done on my right heel once, that was it. So as I get older I figure I still "have" 2-3 I could use if needed.. right now not needed.

Walked all over the Kansas City zoo yesterday, so I figure I got my exercise in. Lol. My left heel was in quite a bit of pain the last hour but I stretched last night and I slept well, and today the pain was minimal.

Today when we got back, I stretched and then did approximately 6.5 miles on the bike, in 38 minutes. 3 heart rate checks gave results of 138, 164, and 136.

For those keeping track, what is your resting heart rate and elevated workout rate? Just curious...
Ummm...I have no idea? Guess I'll have to check later. I know at the doc's office they tell me my pulse is a little higher than average but still in normal tolerances...as for working out, I usually don't check it when I'm doing anything super strenuous. That 164 reading was just after climbing a 1/3 mile hill...

For those keeping track, what is your resting heart rate and elevated workout rate? Just curious...

Resting heartrate 60 (to get a true resting heart rate sit relaxed for at least a few minutes while thinking of relaxing things)
I still get up to 200 bpm when I run hard up a hill.

PS: Naproxen is the active ingredient in a lot f generics too not just aleve..
Ibuprofen has been implicated in lowering testosterone.. So I stay stay from Ibuprofen now.
800mg would be prescription strength but i just atke 4 of the 200mgs..
2 x200 in morning and 2x200 in evening
This is what I did years ago... I currently dont have PF

I'm getting a resting pulse rate of about 85 bpm tonight, seems like about 80 or so is what I always get at my checkups...

resting heartrate is one of the best indicators for cardio fitness.

As u keep exercising u see it come down.
A normal healthy 25 yr old male w/o exercise will be n the mid to 60s.
When I exercised 10,12 + times a week as a younger man it was in the 50s
72= not sick but not in great shape either.
as you keep exercising you will see it come down down down..

PS: Check ups usually read high since people are always slightly stressed at the doctor and the assistants never wait long enough to ensure the subject is fully relaxed.

resting heartrate is one of the best indicators for cardio fitness.

As u keep exercising u see it come down.
A normal healthy 25 yr old male w/o exercise will be n the mid to 60s.
When I exercised 10,12 + times a week as a younger man it was in the 50s
72= not sick but not in great shape either.
as you keep exercising you will see it come down down down..

PS: Check ups usually read high since people are always slightly stressed at the doctor and the assistants never wait long enough to ensure the subject is fully relaxed.
My doctor always takes my blood pressure twice. When the nurse takes it at the start it's always high - she calls it white coat syndrome. Then the doc takes it right before I leave, and it's something like 94 over 68.

My pulse has always been high, even when I was an athlete in school, 175 lbs. and running most days. It hasn't changed much over my adult life regardless of my physical condition...my cholesterol changes with exercise, and my BP is all over the place from 80 over 60 to 140 over 100 on any given day, but it usually settles to something like 90 or 100 over 65 or so. But my pulse never settles down low. I don't think I ever can recall checking it and counting less than about 18 beats in 15 seconds...I blame it on all the caffeine I swill. I've never had a doctor mention it so I've never worried about it...

Last edited:
But but....your heart really would prefer if you'd back off the caffeine a little, @Spikedriver
I was using an app that I could check my stats on but it creeped me out, OPSEC on my phone. I don't know what we think we're hiding, but I digress!
I forget what my exercising hr was, but resting ranged from 65 to 72 bpm. I was satisfied with that and it is not too high.

Decided to stretch my legs today, so to speak...I tried for a 10 miles ride in 60 minutes or less. However at the 4.5 mile mark, there was a garage sale with tools on the front table...so I got sidetracked. The elderly man selling stuff was a retired disabled LEO and we talked guns and cop stories for almost an hour...he had worked my old stomping grounds years ago and knew some of my people.

Anyway, after that hour I re stretched and set out to do my 10 miles but I lost my fire. According to my route app I actually did just over 10 miles but my actual time was slow...did get a good cardio workout in the heat though...

Did 8.5 miles yesterday in about 50 minutes, had to stop and buy water twice because of the heat. I only brought 20 oz. with me - didn't make that mistake today. It was a bit cooler (90°) and windy, which helped. I brought an extra 20 oz. bottle today so I didn't have to stop. Did 8.5 miles in about 42-43 minutes. Looks like it may be time to lengthen the ride a little. Riding the streets of my little town in a grid pattern gives an 8.5 mile ride with an option for for 9.5 if I take the bike trail out to the roadside park.

I've laid off the weights for almost two weeks. Probably start back up, but only do two or three exercises a day...

According to my phone I did 9.58 miles in 57 minutes today. The conditions were perfect, warm enough to sweat but breezy enough to not be miserable. I did stop for a couple minutes to refill my water bottle at the park. I wanted to go for 10 miles but to be honest my butt was a little saddle sore. Oh well, try again tomorrow...

I been slacking a bit last week only 2 runs
So far this week 2 runs but tommorrow it will be easy to find time for an iron pump so it will get me to the minimum workouts of 3 / week.
The goal of 4 is still possible if I can get off the couch on Sunday.
PS: Am at 60 beats/min sitting here thinking of cute cats (to relax me for an accurate reading)

Decided to push it a bit today. The weather was good, and I was feeling a bit saucy, so I stretched the ride:

14.02 miles in 75 minutes. Average speed of 11.2 mph. I'm spent, but I had this strange feeling, like whenever I was on flat ground I could go on forever. Then I'd hit a little uphill stretch and reality would kick in real quick. My little town only offers one good hill, a moderately steep grade about 500 yards long. I plan my route to tackle it early on. Everything else is pretty easy, if it's steep it's not THAT steep, and only a block or so in length.

Anyways, this is my longest ride so far, by a pretty good amount. Usually I'm time limited to an hour or less, but I had no other commitments today...feeling pretty good about the ride. The only things bothering me are that my hands tend to go numb after a while, and I might have to change my seat. I must be putting too much weight on the nerves between my legs, I'm getting some numbness there too, which is a very strange feeling and somewhat disconcerting...

I may be way out in left field with this, but here goes anyway. Are you diabetic? If so that could be a reason for the numbness. No idea, just a thought.

I may be way out in left field with this, but here goes anyway. Are you diabetic? If so that could be a reason for the numbness. No idea, just a thought.
You're not way out in left field. I'm diabetic, but I'd say this type of numbness is more related to carpal tunnel. It goes away if I change my grip or if I let each hand hang down by my side for 15 or 20 seconds. There's no pins and needles sensation.
There's a nerve between the legs, I've no idea what it is called. Excess pressure on it will create numbness in the genital area. This can be a problem for bikers, it can lead to sexual dysfunction. As I understand, adjusting the seat and taking breaks can alleviate the issue.

Latest posts

Back