Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's official!
Strawberry is overweight.
So we are walking more.
It wouldn't hurt me to loose more weight too.
So walking we go.
Stretching exercises, yoga.
It's funny to watch me, grand daughter and Strawberry do stretching exercises together.
But together we do them.

Yesterday Strawberry and I walked 2.65 miles.
So far today we have walked 1.5 miles.
We have 12.5 miles left to walk according to my step counter.
Then we will have walked the distance from London, England to Paris France.
Doesn't say how we got there.

The Monday after that last post I went on a hard run with a buddy how is still active duty.

He smoked me of course.
but it was a great workout.
Tuesday I did nothing to let my legs recover.
Wed I could have but I was lazy.. same with Thursday..

But today I just came back from a nice long hard nighttime ruckmarch
And I have the next two days to get to my minimum of 4 workouts for the week. :)

You ladies and gents don't over do it,but glad your sticking with it.

Today I vacuum in fast motion, mopped and cleaned,later going to get that bar and do some reps with it after a slow then fast dance to some good music.

Followed up with another ruckmarch today.

My 3rd Cardio for the week.
Today I substantially increased the load from approx 35 lbs, to approx 57 lbs, by addition of a 10kg (22 lbs) plate.

I could really feel the difference especially on the uphill and got gassed.

Tomorrow Gym, mostly upper body a little core too.

Back, biceps, and legs day:

BB back squat (light) x1
DB racked squat (light) x1
DB squat x3
Row machine x3
EZ bar curls x3 (failed 2nd set rep 6 and continued drop sets)
Lat pulldowns x2
Abductors machine x3
Preacher curl machine x3
BB hip thrusts x3

Between the squats, abductors, and hip thrusts I'm probably going to have a hard time sitting down tomorrow...😁

I am currently debating if I should run today.
It would be my 4th workout for the week so I need it.. but my legs still hurt a bit from yesterdays heavy ruckmarch...
Dont want to interrupt muscle growth.

What do the cognoscenti think ?

You know your body best. If it were me, I'd lift instead. But, totally up to you...
The gym i usually go to is closed today... there is another which i think may be open... (half hour drive away) but tommorrow I will have to do some moving of heavy items at work..
I want to be fresh for that from a strenght perspective

I might take a nap and see how I feel then..

One last session before I hit the road back to Wisconsin. The hotel has a fitness room but I don't know what equipment is available, so my options may be limited for the next week...

Chest/triceps/shoulders

Military press X3
Floor press x4
Shrugs x3
Lateral delt raise x2
Exercise ball pec squeeze x3
Triceps pushdown x3
Farmer's carry x4 (this exercise was a total failure today. My grip strength failed faster than any time I've done farmer's carries in the last 3 months, and I'm not sure why...)

I went on a run today.
Due to my ever increasing weight I decided to focus on cardio for a while.
Was not a very fast run but at least I was out there.

The hotel I'm staying at this week has a nice exercise room, but the treadmill is broken and the cable weight machine is...well, it's a cable weight machine, so it's not much good for anything.

Cable curls x4
Lat pulldowns x4
Seated rows x4

30 minutes cardio, split between the recumbent stationary bike and the elliptical machine...

Tomorrow, will try the machine for chest/shoulders. Usually pressing movements are better on those machines than pulling movements so I'm hoping for a better workout...

Walked a whole bunch of extra steps today while at the VA hospital.
Had to walk like a duck for the surgeon, don't ask me, I'm sure I don't know why.
Something about balance, concentrating on turning that right foot outward a bit for balance.
So I won't be pigeon toed anymore.
Will walk tomorrow between thunderstorms too.

After Mondays run I did nothing on Tuesday due to work.
Nothing on Wednesday due to well,, laziness... but today being Thursday I knew if I dont get a workout in it will ruin the week as it will likely take away my ability to have 4 for the week..

So went on a ruck march.
Again with 60lbs not 35.. felt a lot easier now than when I did it the first time a week ago.

Hit the hotel gym for some chest, triceps, & shoulder work. Got in a little leg work too...

6 minute warmup ride on the recumbent bike

Machine chest press x3
Machine shoulder press x2
Leg press x3
Tricep pushdown x3
Tricep extension x2

10.5 kilometers on the recumbent bike in 25 minutes. (I couldn't figure out how to change the damn bike display from kilometers to miles... 😁 how far is 10.5 km, anyway?)

Hit the hotel gym for some chest, triceps, & shoulder work. Got in a little leg work too...

6 minute warmup ride on the recumbent bike

Machine chest press x3
Machine shoulder press x2
Leg press x3
Tricep pushdown x3
Tricep extension x2

10.5 kilometers on the recumbent bike in 25 minutes. (I couldn't figure out how to change the damn bike display from kilometers to miles... 😁 how far is 10.5 km, anyway?)

Roughly 6.5 miles

Roughly 6.5 miles
Lol well, I know I couldn't keep that pace up on a real bike. That's over 19 mph. I've done 5.6 miles at 17 mph before, but that was on a paved surface without any steep grades. And I haven't been riding as hard or as often as I did last year, so I'm sure I'm in no shape to try to beat that record...

Doing exercises, walking in the real early mornings.
Slow and easy for now.
Added stretches to the exercise routine, both the legs,back.
Sometimes they are kinda hard to do when 3 year old grand daughter is doing them with me along with Strawberry(dog).
But we keep plugging away at the exercises, getting up step counts up too.
Averaging about 2 miles several times a day outside walking with Strawberry.
But elevation and ice is still my friend on swollen feet.

Not doing a great job this week.
Am about to head out for my last workout for the week.
A Ruckmarch,
This will be my 3rd and last one for the weeek.

To my surprise my legs weren't sore at all from yesterdays hard and heavy ruckmarch.
In recent weeks/months as I am getting back into shape this was often a limiting factor.

After a run or a hard ruckmarch my legs would be sore for one even two days..
So I would not re reexercise them with another cardio in order to allow them full recovery ( I suspected my advancing middle age was responsible).

Well it appears it was the deconditioning that had been responsible.
Because today no soreness at all despite a heavy ruck march thru the hills yesterday.

So today I ran again..

I was a bit slow ( not losing any weight with all this telecommuting...) but at least i was out there.
Hard times are coming, best get ready.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back