Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After falling off the wagon last few months due to craziness in my lifestyle I hit it good the last couple of weeks.

Even though I dont look any different ( I have run to fat a bit) I feel much better and have my swagger back.

Also I am quite pleased with one thing especially..
Despite being well into my 50s I noticed significant and fast muscle growth after a mere 3 iron pumps in 10 days (my first upper body pumps in a couple months))
No drugs or "juice" or testosterone boosters of any kind.
My HGH levels have to be through the roof for a guy my age, to experience muscle growth so easily+ quickly.

Last edited:
I have fallen off the exercise wagon a bit, but that is about to change. During the next 2 months I will have a co-worker staying with me and he has gotten a membership at my gym. We will be lifting together after work most nights. Hopefully this will be good motivation and I will be able to see some good results soon...

My only exercises lately have been those the neurologist/chiropractor has told me to do (other than what I just do in a day.) My next/arm are at 98%. And yes, I have been doing the PT exercises. I'm sure I look intelligent while doing them, but I want feeling in my left fingers sooo. . .
Mo hope it's healthy weight loss - you keep well.
Spike - good job, another person will help keep you motivated also.

I gained 20+ pounds just for spite. Okay, I gat fat because the shippers have been delaying loading the truck, the schedules are really tight and it has been difficult getting parking for the big rig most nights. I train at rest areas if I can, but never at truck stops because those are piss carpets strewn with trash.

I do go to a gym if I can park the truck there.

My routines are: Upper body

Range of motion agility exercises.
Core training. Includes pull up routines.
Strength endurance training
Aerobics (cardio)
Yoga stretching.

Lower Body:
Extended aerobics (time or intensity)
legs strengthening and endurance.

I adjust core training like this: sit ups (75-100,) crunches (50), leg ups (12-15) or (25), twisting sit ups A and twisting sit ups B,.
sit ups (50). crunches (100), twisting crunches (25-50), leg ups (12-15) (25),
sit ups (50), crunches (50), leg ups (12-15) (25) 3 sets, leg up routines and butterfly leg ups, lateral leg ups, 360 degree leg ups.

(12-15) is on a leg up rack, (25) is on the dirt. In the gym I also do the lumbar rack, (back extensions).

Walking an average of 3500 steps a day usually.
Sometimes more few days less.
Drinking lots of water with lemon to keep from dehydrating.
Hot and dry here, lifting some weight.
I do a pace count: I pace off 100 yards (77 paces on the left) and mark it so when I run I can count how many running paces in 100 yards so I can calculate how many running paces to a mile. 1 mile = 1760 yards. divided by 77 = 22.85 I have no idea what that means, but if I run 1,355 running paces on the left I run 1 mile. I run 2710 running paces and I cover 2 miles.

Oops, that's not right, that would be walking paces. Running paces at a good clip is 45 paces to 100 yards. So 792 running paces is a mile and 1584 is two miles. I also pace count the "track" rest area and calculate quarter or half mile course and run laps. Then I ice up my ankle for two days, old injury gets stiff and hurty.

I mowed the yard, @Spikedriver . It got my heart rate up, plus it is still in the 90s but the sun was low, yard was shady. Big whoop.
When you say x2 or x4 do you mean that many sets? Like, not just 2, but 2 sets, meaning 1 to 6 repetitions in each set? Please forgive me, I don't know!
What are lifting on that Romanian deadlift? How much? (Just curious)!

I mowed the yard, @Spikedriver . It got my heart rate up, plus it is still in the 90s but the sun was low, yard was shady. Big whoop.
When you say x2 or x4 do you mean that many sets? Like, not just 2, but 2 sets, meaning 1 to 6 repetitions in each set? Please forgive me, I don't know!
What are lifting on that Romanian deadlift? How much? (Just curious)!
When I say, "x4" it's 4 sets. Depending on what I'm doing, sets are from 5 to 15 reps. Usually if I'm doing 5 sets, it's 5 sets of 5 reps each set. I do sets like that for big lifts that involve lots of different muscles like bench press or deadlifts. If I'm doing 3 sets, it's 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps with a fairly light weight. I do sets like that for smaller muscle groups like shoulders, triceps, and biceps.

Romanian deadlifts weights varies with the day, depending on how my back feels. It's easy to hurt your back doing them if your form isn't good. I usually do 1 set of 8 with just the 45 pound bar, then one set of 8 with the bar + 50 lbs, then move up to 1 set of 8 with 135 pounds, 1 set of 8 with 155 pounds, 1 set of 8 with 175 pounds, and by then my hands are getting tired. I try to do 3 sets of 6 with 185 pounds to finish it, but usually I can only get 4 or 5 on the last set before my grip strength fails.

I use 2 sets of 135 pound Romanians as a warmup for doing barbell deadlift, just to get the blood flowing to my hamstrings and butt muscles. I don't do heavy barbell deadlifts because of my back. Tonight I ramped up from 135 to 155 to 175, 1x8 of each, and finished with a set of 185. Normally I would do 1 set of 135 x8, then do 5 sets of about 195 to 205 x5. My 1 rep best in the last 6 months is 245, which is pathetic for a grown man my size, but it's about all my back can handle right now. I have the strength to do more, but I can't afford to slip up and wreck my back even worse.

You're amazing.
I'm so wimpy. At my job I used to be more active but they changed how often I do the more physical stuff and I've lost a little bit of my muscle tone in my arms and legs.
I would like to be able to stand for myself if assaulted but not feeling so sure at this point. (Like when I was 22 and flipped a guy from behind me to 10 feet in front of me. He was a friend and we were goofing around, God rest his beautiful soul).
I bet Amish Heart can still do stuff like that but doesn't have to because well, she's got other means to handle that sort of thing.

When I say, "x4" it's 4 sets. Depending on what I'm doing, sets are from 5 to 15 reps. Usually if I'm doing 5 sets, it's 5 sets of 5 reps each set. I do sets like that for big lifts that involve lots of different muscles like bench press or deadlifts. If I'm doing 3 sets, it's 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps with a fairly light weight. I do sets like that for smaller muscle groups like shoulders, triceps, and biceps.

Romanian deadlifts weights varies with the day, depending on how my back feels. It's easy to hurt your back doing them if your form isn't good. I usually do 1 set of 8 with just the 45 pound bar, then one set of 8 with the bar + 50 lbs, then move up to 1 set of 8 with 135 pounds, 1 set of 8 with 155 pounds, 1 set of 8 with 175 pounds, and by then my hands are getting tired. I try to do 3 sets of 6 with 185 pounds to finish it, but usually I can only get 4 or 5 on the last set before my grip strength fails.

I use 2 sets of 135 pound Romanians as a warmup for doing barbell deadlift, just to get the blood flowing to my hamstrings and butt muscles. I don't do heavy barbell deadlifts because of my back. Tonight I ramped up from 135 to 155 to 175, 1x8 of each, and finished with a set of 185. Normally I would do 1 set of 135 x8, then do 5 sets of about 195 to 205 x5. My 1 rep best in the last 6 months is 245, which is pathetic for a grown man my size, but it's about all my back can handle right now. I have the strength to do more, but I can't afford to slip up and wreck my back even worse.
I didn't think it was pathetic. I was thinking "hey he could almost 2 of me" 😂

I didn't think it was pathetic. I was thinking "hey he could almost 2 of me" 😂
Lol. A grown man my age, my height and weight (6' and 220), in good health, should be able to barbell deadlift at least 300 pounds. 400 pounds is a real good deadlift for most men. The current world record is well over 1000 pounds but that's by a guy who does nothing but train his body 6-8 hours a day, 365 days a year, and probably takes steroids too.

Lol. A grown man my age, my height and weight (6' and 220), in good health, should be able to barbell deadlift at least 300 pounds. 400 pounds is a real good deadlift for most men. The current world record is well over 1000 pounds but that's by a guy who does nothing but train his body 6-8 hours a day, 365 days a year, and probably takes steroids too.
Yea, don't need to take steroids on our acct. (heehee)

Latest posts

Back