Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today on my feet muchof the day, yesterday also
This compares favorably with my usual sedentary lifestyle.
This week I will be doing TONS of walking every day at work so once the week is over I will consider my legs strengthened enough for running again.

Last edited:
Weighed in today, down almost a total of 30 lbs, have really found that consistency is key.
I was able to go to the gym after work every day last week, and got up this morning to do the treadmill plus squats and stretches. Trying to stay away from sugar.

Today scheduled lots of walking outside in the florida heat due to work.
Away from the desk again :)

yesterday I had much shorter outdoor activities and they really beat me up despite sunscreen.
So I will wear a hat today

Moved a bunch of furniture today. Tweaked my back somehow so I'm currently laid up in bed.
Tomorrow we are supposed to have the quonset hut delivered to the property so hubs had to find someone else to help him.

Moved a bunch of furniture today. Tweaked my back somehow so I'm currently laid up in bed.
Tomorrow we are supposed to have the quonset hut delivered to the property so hubs had to find someone else to help him.
Take care of that back. Mine will never be healthy again and I regret not knowing better when I was young...

Take care of that back. Mine will never be healthy again and I regret not knowing better when I was young...
I'm trying, I herniated a disc about 10 years ago, and honestly its really never been the same since getting an epidural when I had my son 21 years ago. I have crazy nerve pain and it locks up now and then. I have to be very careful about doing procedures and make sure the hospital bed is at a correct height ( since I'm tall) if I have time to do so. Frustrating as we had a lot to get done this week!

Heat is getting easier to handle for me.
Today was my 4th day outdoors in the sun on the tarmac in this heat and it hardly bothered me at all.
This is compared to feeling like I might keel over any minute on day 1.

I was up early for some stupid reason, (maybe because I fell asleep at 7:30 pm). So I hit the gym for a 5am workout...

1/2 mile treadmill walk to warm up

Dumbbell overhead press x3 (15, 12, 10)
Goblet squat 3x10
Low incline DB bench press x3 (15, 15, 12)
DB front delt raise 3x15
Triceps pushdown 3x15
Bus drivers 2x20
Overhead Triceps extension 1x25
Cable chest flyes 2x15

There are stretches for that, upper back, lower back and lumbar. Hatha Yoga. There are some good books and videos on Hatha yoga postures.

Back at it. I haven't lifted much since January so I did things a little differently, and decided to see exactly what i could still do. Today was for pull exercises...

1/2 mile treadmill walk to warm up

Deadlifts - I went up the ladder in sets of 4 reps - 135x4, 155x4, 185x4, etc until I reached 85% of my 1 rep max from last year. I've been advised that Sumo Style deadlifts are easier on a bad back so I'm giving those a try. I was able to do 5 singles at 85% of last year's 1RM.

Bent over rows - 3x12 light

Lat pulldowns - again went up the ladder, this time in sets of two from 105 to 160 in 10 pound intervals. Then did singles from 160 to 200 in ten pound intervals. I could barely pull 200, this needs a lot of work...

Face pulls - 4x12 and probably could have done 4x15 but didn't want to push it too hard

Bicep curls 3x10 superset with rear delt flyes 3x12

This thread inspired me to go out for a serious ruckmarch in the mid day Florida sun just now.
45 lbs.
went for exactly one full hour at good speed.
Wore my old army combat boots and my boot socks.

I needed this.

just got back from Gym.
Nothing crazy, but since I did the ruck march yesterday I though a upper body would be good today:

3 sets overhead pulls
2 sets standing military dumbbell press
3 sets incline bench
2 sets lateral raises
2 sets frontal raises
3 sets shoulder shrugs
2 sets back extensions.

PS: I only did 2 sets for some exercises for these reasons:

a) historically I had good results with minimal sets (I think I have high levels of HGF even now)
b) I am still quite "unfit" and therefore wish to guard my non conditioned tendons from overuse injuries early in the game.
c) this is the same reason why I kept it to only 7 exercises total and not my 12,13+ from a couple years ago when I was a great deal better conditioned.
d) these 7 exercises total were still quite exhausting and I do not think I could have done anymore sets anyway.

Last edited:
Well my treadmill is packed in the container.
I worked out hard at the gym last week in anticipation of not being able to go for the next 2 weeks or so.
At least I haven't gained any weight. Will have to be super careful about what I eat for the next 2 weeks, especially given the delicious variety of food in CA

Well my treadmill is packed in the container.
I worked out hard at the gym last week in anticipation of not being able to go for the next 2 weeks or so.
At least I haven't gained any weight. Will have to be super careful about what I eat for the next 2 weeks, especially given the delicious variety of food in CA
I don't gain any weight when I go to California. It's hard to gain weight when it costs $30 per meal to cook for yourself...

I don't gain any weight when I go to California. It's hard to gain weight when it costs $30 per meal to cook for yourself...
Yeah costs are ridiculous there. My son sent me a pic of the gas it took to “fill” his work truck, which wasn’t even full- $200. — was the limit he could buy.
I actually don’t eat a lot, maybe 2 meals a day, so I’m a cheap date! 😂

Ok.
Just got back from another Ruckmarch.
This one was shorter "only" 40 minutes but it was much faster since I Stuck to improved roads only.
Why? We just had a big thunderstorm here and I knew the dirt track I had used prior would be a mudfest.
Today is Wednesday and I am already at 3 workouts for the week!

So I am officially back in the saddle! :D

I am handicapped, so I can no longer ruck march.

I did 20 minutes on the treadmill Sun. instead of the ABT all body trainer. I don't like the eliptical trainer. I had to reduce my speed to 6.5 and 5.5 and my MTHR was at 95% but I did recuperate and recover well at the gym.

Deadlifts (to promote testosterone)
assisted pull ups
sit ups, crunches, leg ups and lumbar rack (back extensions)
yoga yoga and more yoga.

Ran out of time for Range of Motion Agility exercises.

Today was my 4th exercise of the week.
Almost all upper body; partially designed to support sustained firearms handling.

- 3 sets seated overhead pulls (in support of climbing)
- 3 sets military overhead presses
- 3 sets incline bench ( in support of getting out of cover with alacrity)
- 2 sets bent over rows
- 2 sets lateral raises ( ISO firearms handling)
- 2 sets frontal raises ( ISO firearms handling)
- 2 sets of weighted calf raises (ISO mobility)
- 3 sets shoulder shrugs (ISO sustained firearms handling on patrol)

I noticed I am already stronger than on Tuesday as the next higher weight was now within my reach for most exercises.
Tomorrow a Ruckmarch tentatively planned for the heat of the day, to work on my acclimatization , endurance and leg strength.. (when SHTF we cannot pick our weather).

Today (almost) as planned my 5th workout for the week.
A Ruckmarch.
Why only almost?
Well, it was 55 minutes not a full hour and this was due to increased speed because I did not as planned go in the heat of the day around 1 pm.
I had no energy at the time and so only went from 7: 05 pm to 8 pm.
I would like to say improved conditioning is responsible for my increased speed, but realistically the greatly reduced heatload is almost certainly responsible.

This was a good one.
I had a day off form exercise yesterday and I knew I was fresh for a hard one.
I guess I made the step to (barely) being fit enough again for truly hard outs as I can barely move as I type this:

- 3 sets of squats ( in support of mobility under load)
- 3 sets of overhead lat pulls (ISO climbing)
- 2 sets hip adductions ( ISO mobility in terrain)
- 2 sets hip abductions (ISO mobility in terrain)
- 2 sets of military overhead bumbbell press
- 3 sets of incline bench (ISO getting into and out of cover)
- 2 sets of rows (the weight kind not the cardio kind)
- 2 sets lateral raises ( ISO weapons handling)
- 2 sets of frontal raises (ISO weapons handling)
- 3 sets of calf raises ( ISO mobility under load)

Total of ten exercises.
Still breathing heavy even though I am showered+ back home.
Just slammed a ice cold can of Diet Pepsi in about 2 minutes.🥴

This hotel I'm staying at has a weird little cable gym machine. Even though work was a helluva workout today (hammering +/- 250 rail clips with a sledgehammer, lifting around 40, 60 pound bags of clips from the ground and throwing into the back of a truck, and lining ties up to the rail with a sledgehammer) I went to that machine after work and did 4 sets of leg press, 3 sets of shoulder press, 2 sets of lat pulldowns and 2 sets of bent over rows.

Latest posts

Back