Trash

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here at the school, we take our trash to the town dump an hour away. Its a great place. It is free. You drive down a road and first stop is recycling, second stop is hazardess waste, third stop electronics, fourth is trash and last stop is commercial.

Commercial is stuff like tires, fridges, stoves and furniture. You pay up to 20.00 for those but thats OK to me.

This place is amazingly organized. They have traffic lights. At the entrance, you wait for a green light to get on the scales, another to get off and another light for the entrance to each section. Just keep going if you don't need an area. It is fast and efficient. One more light to get on the scale to leave, then raise one finger if your a townie and two fingers if your country as you exit.

I hate roadside service in the country. Garbage ends up everywhere from wind, sloppy trash guys and critters. There is always a fee which results in illegal dumping in someone's field.

Last edited:
The pandemic sure added to the trash. No more bringing your own bags to the store. All those Amazon delivery boxes. Tons of take out containers. Individual serving catsup, bbq sauce...
And masks. And gloves. But hey, we disenfected the heck out of everything.
I keep waiting on those info-merchials “were you exposed to heavy amounts of germ-x and hand sanitizer? If so you may be eligible for composition “ call our lawyers now!

Particularly when it it so readily recycles.

Ben
Most 'recycling' in the USA is a sham.
Since I worked for Waste Management for several years in 2 different counties in AL, I saw both real and fake.
And I can tell you how to tell them apart.
If you put your recycling out, sorted, in 4 different colored bins, it is real.
If you put it all in 'the blue can', it is fake (pretty much).
In the county that did 'real' recycling, the truck has 4 separate hoppers. One for each color bin.
Paper, glass, plastic, metal.
Looks like this:
Recycling_001.jpg

At the other county, where everything is mixed, here's what happens:
Everything is dumped on a conveyor belt. On both sides are county prisoners being paid $2.30 per hour.
They pull out all the aluminum and steel cans, and everything else goes into a 20-yard roll-off container heading to the dump.
The county pays the balance to bring their pay up to equal $7.25 per hour, which goes against the fines they owe, and right back into the same pocket it came out of. All legal.
Math question: Suppose you got a year in jail and a $10,000 fine; how long will you be a slave?
Years ago we sent plastic to China for recycling. Haven't been able to for years. They ain't buyin' it.
For all of the 'responsible recycling' people out there... don't follow your trash. :(
Real:
ezgif-com-video-to-gif-1.gif

Last edited:
We don't currently have trash pickup at our house. Our county does have several "convenience stations" in the county where we can take our trash. I think we go about once a month most months, sometimes twice, usually with 5 or 6 tall kitchen bags and perhaps a collection of cardboard from boxes things have been shipped to us in. There is still junk from around the place from the previous owner which occasionally we'll get tired of looking at and take along. We can separate out metal or plastic bottles as well as cardboard, and they have a place for used motor oil. I think it's like a $2 added fee on vehicle registrations that pays for it.

When we lived in central Mississippi, we didn't have trash pickup and I never did learn where the local dump was. So, we tended to collect our trash in Walmart bags. We would then deposit them in the trash cans at the local gas station. If we didn't wait too long, it was really no big deal but it wasn't something we wanted to let pile up. We did occasionally burn some stuff.

Honestly, though, we don't tend to make nearly as much trash as some people do.

I like our free dump. Everything is so organized. There is a place for every single thing, even mattresses in a shed. Tires in one area, yard scrap, building scrap (with a sign that says not to throw away good lumber, put it to the side), paint cans in one area, etc. The only misc is household garbage. You just drive to the areas.

That's like the one at our old place.

Ironic or syncrenicity one or the other.I wasn't going to say anything here but this is time when burning trash is not good at all.
We have a fire thats been burning for 3 days now right near our property fence. We have had some strong winds and the man next o us left it unattended the whole time. We came back from dr office and he had a huge pile of trees he cut down ,even worse we haven't been able to sit on our porch becau he also brings plastic building materials out here from where he lives and burns them too.So the smoke is breath taking.
If winds pick up from strom it could burn us out. These woods on our property are like a jungle with hundred year old trees and fallen leaves and thick forest.Its only about 300 feet from our house.

...but this is time when burning trash is not good at all.

That is definitely something to keep in mind, for several reasons. Funny thing about the weather, we tend to get more rain than we really need this time of year and we've gotten plenty. But other parts of the country are extremely dry and could see fires spring up so easily, whether intentional, accidental, or even through lightning or hot spots / volcanic eruptions or similar.

The other thing is that some stuff would make some nasty fumes and gasses to put into the air when burned that probably would be best not to. I'll let that to others to decide what's acceptable. We seldom burn anything other than the occasional bonfire for the grands that wanna roast marshmallows or maybe a weenie and for that kind of fire, I don't wanna be burnin' anything other than just sticks from the woods around us.

That is definitely something to keep in mind, for several reasons. Funny thing about the weather, we tend to get more rain than we really need this time of year and we've gotten plenty. But other parts of the country are extremely dry and could see fires spring up so easily, whether intentional, accidental, or even through lightning or hot spots / volcanic eruptions or similar.

The other thing is that some stuff would make some nasty fumes and gasses to put into the air when burned that probably would be best not to. I'll let that to others to decide what's acceptable. We seldom burn anything other than the occasional bonfire for the grands that wanna roast marshmallows or maybe a weenie and for that kind of fire, I don't wanna be burnin' anything other than just sticks from the woods around us.

When we burn its in the middle of the field not right next to brush and trees. We use to have camp fires and small bon fires too,but we were here and kept a hose near by.

He has a field he could have put it in.As I said they are building off a old metal container and small rv camper have their chickens here left mostly unattended which both is illegal and we don't say a thing,but now they are dangerous.We use to have restrictions,many stick and brick and a few mobile homes,one just built a million dollar home in our subdivision this year not 20 acres from this new squattter.We have never complained or called anyone till today,we called forest fire people to come put out the fire.We ask for the mans phone number but they refused to give it out after asking for ours which we did give him ours.
Why is everythign so complicated now?If this place catches fire it will go up like a tender box!

When we had trash, cans & glass was carried to landfill, paper was burned. Food waste to pigs & chickens, dogs got meat scraps. I compost everything that can be composted.

We burn mail and I have some eggs I was thinking about composting,hens found a hiding place and laid 7 .But I fear it will stink and draw critters,so maybe I'll bury them in the raised beds.We burn mail and do need to burn some brush for pot ash for gardens. its about to get dry here so have to be careful with fires now.

On our homestead (40 very rural acres), trash is just one of many "systems" that had to be thought out and implemented. Our homesteading system for "trash" consists of: re-use, recycle, compost, fuel, compact ...

1. Re-Use: if something breaks (electronics, toasters ... washing machines, etc.), it doesn't immediately go into "the trash" or get hauled off. We divert it into the disassembly stream; this produces "spare parts" for the maker projects around the homestead ... screws/nuts/bolts, motors, and so on. Anything else (plastics, metals) goes into recycle streams (plastics, metals). Electronics "boards" go into a pile to have their electronics desoldered off.

2. Recycle: everything is separated into cardboards, plastics, metals, etc. bins. Periodically, on a supply run to a nearby larger city, they are dropped off for free at a recycling facility. As we did the sorting, they don't have to ... we deposit each pile directly into a roll-off bin. Some kind of gigantic machine takes the cardboard and makes "cubes" out of it. We (hopefully) save on environmental costs and issues.

3. Compost: if it can be composted (food wastes, etc.), it is saved and periodically moved into the chickens and/or compost piles; this produces "eggs" and "garden dirt", saving money on groceries, landscaping and gardening supplies.

4. Fuel: anything remaining is burned in our "outdoor" furnace (wood stove with separate burn chamber and hvac tie-in). This produces heat for the house, and we turn some of the paper goods (not suitable for recycle anymore), leftover wood scraps from wood projects (chicken coop), slash from the property, and so on into "fuel", saving on fuel costs. Safer and cleaner than a "burn barrel", in our opinion.

5. Compact: any "trash" left over (not recyclable, not burnable) gets compacted in our trash compactor, into little trash cubes. These get hauled by us to a local dump every other month. When we roll up to the dump, takes us about 30 seconds to throw our cubes into the pile, whereas others spend quite a few minutes to a half hour or more, emptying their truck, trailer, etc.

Again, it's a system ... not much left over at the end, other than money in our wallet.

Last edited:
I burn trash and take it to the dump myself. I also shred some paper and add it to the compost. That adds brown to the green grass clippings. Shredding provides security and makes it compost faster and mix easier.

I also shred some paper and add it to the compost.

Funny thing is, we have very little of that anymore. Used to have a lot but over the years, the amount of mail we get has gone down considerably. The mailman only stops a couple of times a week, very little junk mail. And we haven't gotten a newspaper in many years.

Compared to many, we just don't make that much trash. I guess that's a good thing. :)

Funny thing is, we have very little of that anymore. Used to have a lot but over the years, the amount of mail we get has gone down considerably. The mailman only stops a couple of times a week, very little junk mail. And we haven't gotten a newspaper in many years.

Compared to many, we just don't make that much trash. I guess that's a good thing. :)
You do not have a mail box? I got two letters, trying to loan me money, wasted everybody time.

I burn everything paper, compost any food scraps (very little of this) and the rest I haul to the free dump fifteen miles away. And sometimes I bring stuff back. The dump is unmonitored and a free for all pile of garbage and sometimes you will find things worth bringing back.

I don't recycle anything. I worked at recycling place once, its a scam.

My "trash footprint" is so small that it is almost nonexistent. I don't live much of a consumer lifestyle. (I also don't cook out of boxes, cans, etc.) Much of what I dispose of can either be composted, burned, or somehow repurposed.

During SHTF/Hard Times, there will be very little to no consumer goods being brought into my house, so my trash footprint would be even smaller.

My "trash footprint" is so small that it is almost nonexistent. I don't live much of a consumer lifestyle. (I also don't cook out of boxes, cans, etc.) Much of what I dispose of can either be composted, burned, or somehow repurposed.

During SHTF/Hard Times, there will be very little to no consumer goods being brought into my house, so my trash footprint would be even smaller.

Until I had a kid that was me. I'm not sure how or why...but one little five year old has somehow doubled our garbage output.

You do not have a mail box? I got two letters, trying to loan me money, wasted everybody time.

We do have a mailbox. But we were out in the garden working most days this week when the mailman came through, and we can see the mailbox from the garden. All but I think one day, he never stopped. (One day we weren't home.) I do wonder whether they dump a bunch of junk mail at the Post Office and never deliver it. (?) Then again, we do get the occasional obvious junk mail trying to sell us car warranties and trying to get us to switch to satellite TV. Maybe we're not on the right mailing lists... LOL!! Don't wanna be! :D

We do have a mailbox. But we were out in the garden working most days this week when the mailman came through, and we can see the mailbox from the garden. All but I think one day, he never stopped. (One day we weren't home.) I do wonder whether they dump a bunch of junk mail at the Post Office and never deliver it. (?) Then again, we do get the occasional obvious junk mail trying to sell us car warranties and trying to get us to switch to satellite TV. Maybe we're not on the right mailing lists... LOL!! Don't wanna be! :D
I set a goal to limit my junk mail many years ago. Didn't give out my address ... until signed up for something on the History channel. U know it was them that sold my info because the junk mail addressed to

BenHist ....

Ben

Latest posts

Back