Trash

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny thing is, we have very little of that anymore. Used to have a lot but over the years, the amount of mail we get has gone down considerably. The mailman only stops a couple of times a week, very little junk mail. And we haven't gotten a newspaper in many years.

Compared to many, we just don't make that much trash. I guess that's a good thing. :)
We get bills, those envelopes and fliers, and sometimes the bills, get shredded. I shred everything, the crook trying to piece together something important from my trash is going to have to work for it. Amazon has really cheap boxes that go through my shredder quite well. The dump takes cardboard for free too.

I set a goal to limit my junk mail many years ago. Didn't give out my address ... until signed up for something on the History channel. U know it was them that sold my info because the junk mail addressed to

BenHist ....

Ben
I am guilty of using different versions of my name for different stuff too.
Since I just turned 65, I get targeted junk mail from every single company on the planet that sells 'Medicare-supplement insurance'.
All I have to do is look at the name on the envelope to know who sold me out.
BCBS, since they knew they weren't keeping me, tossed my info to at least 6 other companies. Multiple mailings from every one.
The local companies that sold me out were the biggest shockers. Doctor, electrical service company, local auto insurance agent.

On topic: I have had an above average level of trash for the last 6 months. :(
Edit: Oh, and one of the worst, AARP! :comp bullet

Last edited:
I did a thing some years ago, after my Father in law died. He lived in another town, so when I signed up for something like a catalog, I used his name & my address, then when thing I did not order showed up in his name & my address, I dropped in file 13 unopened.
It worked well, cut out thing in my name, but I do not sign up for a lot of stuff now. Still I get a lot of loan offers after co-singing for my son once, 24 months ago.
I get Medicare phone calls & I at offended that someone would thing I was old, as if I'm 30 years old instead of 60! :rolleyes: ;) 😇

Last edited:
Once we're at our farm we'll have to take garbage to the dump. But for now we have private company garbage collection (when we lived in town it was part of our taxes). I do periodic burnings for clean debris that is burnable. Mostly I try to limit my garbage at the consumer end - buying in bulk so there's less packaging, that sort of thing.

It's not something I've done yet, but occasionally, I'll see an ad from a local person that will be collecting metal of any kind, they'll pick up. Apparently, they can get a few pennies for it. I have had very little to no metal to get rid of so haven't gotten in touch but at times, someone wants what might be our "trash". We were talking to one of our neighbors that has a commercial chicken house and he was telling us that he'll take all the shredded paper we wanna bring him, he uses it for litter.

It was kinda funny... I was reading about scaring deer off by using fishing line and old cans, like you'd have if you bought a can of beans. I had the fishing line, but I didn't have any cans. LOL!

I'm sorting this out for myself atm. I know a friend would even put soda cans in his burn bin and if it got hot enough it would take care of most of the tin. For me the dump is an hour away and $5 a trash can. Getting a variety of cans to separate things I can recycle for free. I'd hate to put nasty byproducts on our little slice of heaven here... but.... the dump won't accept appliances, paint cans, large items. So what DO they want us to do with it? I'm so thankful to have a pick-up truck!
We could get pick up for $35/month. Maybe at some point we will. I will have to look into the large dumpsters and see if they offer that in the bigger town.

four families of us chip in monthly and rent a dumpster. I won the coin toss, its in my yard.
What's left of it after the truck comes. :p

I'm sorting this out for myself atm. I know a friend would even put soda cans in his burn bin and if it got hot enough it would take care of most of the tin. For me the dump is an hour away and $5 a trash can. Getting a variety of cans to separate things I can recycle for free. I'd hate to put nasty byproducts on our little slice of heaven here... but.... the dump won't accept appliances, paint cans, large items. So what DO they want us to do with it? I'm so thankful to have a pick-up truck!
We could get pick up for $35/month. Maybe at some point we will. I will have to look into the large dumpsters and see if they offer that in the bigger town.
I have a friend who helped write some recycling laws in California a few decades ago. By making it more expensive or difficult for people to deal with the trash they generate, helps people to think about the trash they are contributing to. An example: buying canned beans versus buying dried beans and cooking them yourself. The difference in the amount of trash, or recyclables, is noticeable. In Orange County, from my understanding, you have X amount of space to take to the curb each week. It is probably a rolling bin. Anything more than that, you pay for. I'm sure that people have found ways around that, perhaps dumping trash at filling stations, littering, and others. I'd bet that people have gotten smarter about how much trash they produce.

I've taken to using paper plates more than I ever have. So I am generating trash and consuming paper. Plastic is one of the worst, because it stays around forever, if it is not properly dealt with, and few people even care about all those water bottles and to go containers.

Appliances - depending upon what it is, if you were to post on CL or similar, there are folks who collect them for the scrap metal.

There were a couple of guy collecting scrap metal around here. People discovered those guys would show up when nobody was home and collect stuff that was not scrap.
In my small town there isn't any way to recycle even if you wanted to.
Burn barrels are outlawed. There's a county guy that drives around looking for them. We call him Burn Barrel Bob. Big fine if caught.

So make an oversized wood stove and claim its for cook outs.or buy a used up smoker.
That's what my BIL did. He built an outdoor BBQ. His neighbor kept calling and complaining and there was nothing they could do about it.
It finally ended when the neighbor came to his house cussing and screaming at his wife. When my BIL got home he went next door and kicked the crap out of the guy and his 25 year old son. No more problems.

I know a lot of business front with recycling bins and it all goes to the same dumpster anyways. The last place I worked tried...had a recycling dumpster. After that idk...and ppl weren't very good about separation. I think the town recycling does their best. Listened to a segment on trying to make it worth the cost for recycling... how much energy does it take to recycle really? Are we doing something helpful here even or not. It was interesting. Im not saying there is no point to recycling at all. This is my home and I'd like it to stay beautiful. Just that it seems like something isn't working with how its being done. I'm not educated on it enough to have a right to comment even this much I guess. As far as reducing "garbage" I'm not sure that helps either. Yes, provided I have electricity or gas I can spend an hour boiling a bag of beans. The waste would be smaller, but plastic. How much of an inpact did it cause for me to use that much gas, electric, or
wood to cook those beans? (Now if you have a pot on a wood stove that's also giving you heat sure. Ive actually tried it and have yet to find find reasonable way of cooking that way while also working full time. It was either not cooked or a burnt mess and im not willing to risk a fire leaving it unattended all day) Verses the the can of beans that has a larger impact on my bag size/weight but it might not have a half life greater then the sun. It's one of those things that I hope to not have to deal with as much when we're growing our own food. I do think packaging is a bit nutty atm. Some items cost less than the box they come in...

Also very thankful to be out of a highly regulated community. We didn't have an HOA or anything. But the neighbors and town did everything they could to make it hard for us to be sustainable. Some towns where I was born you need a permit to paint your house. It's not how I want to live, if you do have fun with that.

There were a couple of guy collecting scrap metal around here. People discovered those guys would show up when nobody was home and collect stuff that was not scrap.
In my small town there isn't any way to recycle even if you wanted to.
Burn barrels are outlawed. There's a county guy that drives around looking for them. We call him Burn Barrel Bob. Big fine if caught.

On our list of small farm necessities is about 5 Rottweilers. I'd like to see what happens if someone stops by who shouldn't be. Nothing but respect for the breed. They know when someone has bad intentions. In my county, if there's posted private property signs, those dogs have every right to attack. <3 Don't tell me you didn't notice the gate and fence you broke into. Don't tell me you didn't see the sign... tell my dogs :)

By making it more expensive or difficult for people to deal with the trash they generate, helps people to think about the trash they are contributing to

The county we used to live in down here thought that way for a bit. After spending a fortune cleaning up dump sites in the desert they gave up and opened the dump to everything. They have a spot for used oil, tires, appliances, scrap metal, tree trimmings, and trash. The dump is free to residents and is cheaper than sending people out to clean dump sites.

On our list of small farm necessities is about 5 Rottweilers. I'd like to see what happens if someone stops by who shouldn't be. Nothing but respect for the breed. They know when someone has bad intentions. In my county, if there's posted private property signs, those dogs have every right to attack. <3 Don't tell me you didn't notice the gate and fence you broke into. Don't tell me you didn't see the sign... tell my dogs :)
I'd have 5 Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They are very loyal and protective dogs, but they can be found on the top ten dangerous breeds. They like to run in packs and they love to hunt anything that moves including birds in trees. These are the dogs favored by James Wesley Rawles of the Survivalist Blog.

I'd have 5 Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They are very loyal and protective dogs, but they can be found on the top ten dangerous breeds. They like to run in packs and they love to hunt anything that moves including birds in trees. These are the dogs favored by James Wesley Rawles of the Survivalist Blog.

I know I wouldn't mess with a Ridgeback! I'm going for less prey drive. I want happy chickens and whatever else we decide to get. I know rotties do have a prey drive. Idk why my rottie growing up was just awesome. 8 years and zero chickens lost, that's crazy! We had a hard learning curve when he passed. He used to save birds from our cat (and never hurt the cat doing it). A friend of ours had a nervous dog. She latched on death grip to him, he just looked over and dragged her to us. Like ma' can you please handle this? I have a lot more stories on situations he just KNEW we're not okay and jumped in like a big (130lbs) scary dog should. I know no dog will ever replace him. Hoping to get lucky again though! Dogs are one of my main passions in life. Raising a good one is probably one of the hardest things I've ever done. That said... I've never had any other investment pay me back so well. There is just something so core and perfect with canines.

I know I wouldn't mess with a Ridgeback! I'm going for less prey drive. I want happy chickens and whatever else we decide to get. I know rotties do have a prey drive. Idk why my rottie growing up was just awesome. 8 years and zero chickens lost, that's crazy! We had a hard learning curve when he passed. He used to save birds from our cat (and never hurt the cat doing it). A friend of ours had a nervous dog. She latched on death grip to him, he just looked over and dragged her to us. Like ma' can you please handle this? I have a lot more stories on situations he just KNEW we're not okay and jumped in like a big (130lbs) scary dog should. I know no dog will ever replace him. Hoping to get lucky again though! Dogs are one of my main passions in life. Raising a good one is probably one of the hardest things I've ever done. That said... I've never had any other investment pay me back so well. There is just something so core and perfect with canines.
I wouldn't mess with a RR on someone else's property unless the owner was right there. Yes, they are fairly prey driven, so probably better to not have them with chickens or other small animals.

For several decades we had the big metal dumpsters in the alleys.

That's what they do in my hometown. If you want a dumpster behind your house, you just pay the fee. And whether or not you pay the fee, you can put your trash in any dumpster in town.

There is no set day for trash collection. The city will check the dumpsters and empty them, even on Sundays, if necessary.

My office is right across the alley from the city recycling center. Several years go, we moved our dumpster to the recycling center and the city put two more beside it. So our dumpster is clearly available for anyone to use whether they live in town or not.

If you have furniture, you can put it in the dumpster. They prefer, however, that you take it to the recycling center. Often, people check out the furniture at the recycling center and take it home.

One day I was in the alley when the director of utilities pulled up with a trailer with a nearly new couch and a nearly new chair from a house he was cleaning out. The couple who lived in the house had died and he was cleaning out their house. He was getting ready to put them there in the recycling center and ended up helping me carry them into the office. I can't find any signs of wear on either of the two pieces of furniture.

Whenever I see someone struggling to lift some furniture into their pickup, I nearly always go out and help.

Yes, provided I have electricity or gas I can spend an hour boiling a bag of beans. The waste would be smaller, but plastic. How much of an inpact did it cause for me to use that much gas, electric, or
wood to cook those beans? (Now if you have a pot on a wood stove that's also giving you heat sure. Ive actually tried it and have yet to find find reasonable way of cooking that way while also working full time. It was either not cooked or a burnt mess and im not willing to risk a fire leaving it unattended all day) Verses the the can of beans that has a larger impact on my bag size/weight but it might not have a half life greater then the sun. It's one of those things that I hope to not have to deal with as much when we're growing our own food. I do think packaging is a bit nutty atm. Some items cost less than the box they come in...
I learned something from someone about cooking beans which changed it up for me. She soaks her beans all day and then cooks them overnight in a crockpot. They are finished in the morning. Yes, no matter how you cook beans or any food, you are using energy. But crockpots use very little energy and set on low can cook things well overnight.
in England, beans are eaten for breakfast. I have never eaten beans for breakfast, but if I was hungry and there was not much else to eat, I think I would give it a try. My dad and his family had bean sandwiches during the 1930's.

I learned something from someone about cooking beans which changed it up for me. She soaks her beans all day and then cooks them overnight in a crockpot. They are finished in the morning. Yes, no matter how you cook beans or any food, you are using energy. But crockpots use very little energy and set on low can cook things well overnight.
in England, beans are eaten for breakfast. I have never eaten beans for breakfast, but if I was hungry and there was not much else to eat, I think I would give it a try. My dad and his family had bean sandwiches during the 1930's.
Beans and bread (wheat/grain) is a complete protein, so a very good meal. Likewise corn/cornbread, rice, etc. go well with beans.

Latest posts

Back