Trigger fingers, Dupuytren's contracture,

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamadeb48

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
"A while back ,my right hand two fingers started to cramp and draw up. had to pull them straight, now my ring finger on the left is really doing it bad, hurts a lot ... Do any of you have this problem? I figure that is what it is, haven't been to the doc yet, but nothing much they can do about it, unless it is really bad, surgery, don't want to go there, had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands about 15 year ago. It tends to get worse when I use my hands a lot, specially peeling and cutting something, have to put the knife down and straighten them out... I hate this, but years of work using my hands a lot.....what would help, a hand brace?

I had trigger finger for a while and used heat and exercise to cure it. It would try to stay straight when I wanted to use it and then snap down to a bend and try to stay there. There was some inflammation so I took aspirin and let it rest and then started working it with help from the other fingers. I went away and that was a year or more ago. My wife had surgery for hers and it started coming back after six months. I prefer the heat, massage and exercise method myself but then my body tends to heal if I give it a chance.

I can't help with your hands but this will help with peeling stuff.
My wife's hands are really bad and she has a hard time peeling potatoes so I bought her an electric peeler. She's had it for over 3 years and uses it regularly.
I tried to post a link to Amazon but that's not working for some reason.
71O6QwuKYgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I drink at least a gallon of water a day. I can tell the difference in how I feel on days I get busy and drink a lot less.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/dupuytrens-contracture
Fingers tightening/curl alone doesn't really describe dupuytrens-cantracture, not the first symptom. It usually shows first as thickening bands of skin.

To keep ligaments and tendons supple I'd add solomon's seal to my food supplement routine.

My wife's hands are really bad and she has a hard time peeling potatoes so I bought her an electric peeler. She's had it for over 3 years and uses it regularly.

I second this. My wife has bad hand issues due to nerve damage from a car wreck. It works great for taters and apples so far.

I have one of those. Works well.

My sister has Dupuytren's contracture. The common name for it is "Viking Finger" or "Viking's Disease" because it is most prevalent among those with Nordic ancestry. Sis can thank our Norwegian grandmothers for passing it down to her, I guess.

There's not a whole lot you can do for it. Surgery can help some.

I never knew it had a name.
My Grandma, my Mom, at least 1 uncle, and my brother all suffered from it.
Grandma and Mom had it on both hands and they couldn't straighten out any of their fingers.
My brother only has 1 finger that's affected.

Back