Tropical Storm Gordon Expected to Become a Hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico; Hurricane Warnings Poste

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to The Weather Channel, A Hurricane Warning has been issued for portions of the central gulf coast. Hurricane warning in effect for mouth of the Pearl River to the Alabama-Florida border. Tropical storm warning includes Lake Pontchartrain and Lake Maurepas. Storm surge warning in effect for Shell Beach to Dauphin Island Alabama. Voluntary evacuation issued for areas outside of levees in New Orleans. Rip current threat is high for Alabama and Florida panhandle beaches through Wednesday. Limited amount of free sand available at Gulf Shores Sportsplex; shovels and bags not included. Gordon is forecast to make landfall later today. Of course, all this could quickly change, so be careful and safe. We are 8 hours away from this area and are expected to have rain all week from Gordon.

Looks pretty close to Panama City Beach .

@tiffanysgallery , looks like I made a mistake ' again '. How nice of you not to point it out.:cool::)

Last edited:
I've ridden out 3 major storms at sea. The first was a tropical storm with 71mph sustained winds. I assure you, there isn't much difference between 71mph sustained winds and 74mph (Cat1) sustained winds.

The last one was a hurricane that varied between a Cat1 and Cat2 hurricane. 3 dozen war ships played a war game inside this major hurricane in the Atlantic Ocean for 10 days. 4 days I walked to the galley for meals on the walls, not the floor, the ship was permanently tilted. Now that was interesting! Lots of subs for meals, no soups, stews or pasta! :( Couldn't even get eggs to order on Sunday.:mad: A tradition on Cans (destroyers)!

Last edited:
I've ridden out 3 major storms at sea. The first was a tropical storm with 71mph sustained winds. I assure you, there isn't much difference between 71mph sustained winds and 74mph (Cat1) sustained winds.

The last one was a hurricane that varied between a Cat1 and Cat2 hurricane. 3 dozen war ships played a war game inside this major hurricane in the Atlantic Ocean for 10 days. 4 days I walked to the galley for meals on the walls, not the floor, the ship was permanently tilted. Now that was interesting! Lots of subs for meals, no soups, stews or pasta! :( Couldn't even get eggs to order on Sunday.:mad: A tradition on Cans (destroyers)!

First off I keep wonderignwhat the spanish sig you have says.o_O. But forget to ask you.:confused:

My son was on ship ' LPD' the whole time he was in navy. He said the swells were sometimes around 100 feet. Said it was awesome yet scary at same time. Said walking sometimes looked like the ship halls was twisting.
He said it was sad that beer day the marines who were not 21 had to watch everyone else drink their 2 beers. Said 18 marines they took to Iraq KIA didn't come back from that war, said whole ship was very sad.

Back to subject ..........hubby has family in Myrtle Beach Georgetown area who are watching the storms. They have ridden out some bad ones. One lives 2 blocks from beach.:eek:

Navy orders nearly 30 ships to leave Hampton Roads ahead of Hurricane Florence.
https://wtkr.com/2018/09/10/navy-or...ve-hampton-roads-ahead-of-hurricane-florence/

My Mother was a young bride and I was tiny when my Dad left Charleston, SC with his military ship to flee Hurricane Hugo. When the spouse leaves right before a hurricane it just adds stress during an already stressful time.

Best wishes to the military personnel fleeing the hurricane on the sea and to the military spouses and their children. Be safe!

My Mother was a young bride and I was tiny when my Dad left Charleston, SC with his military ship to flee Hurricane Hugo. When the spouse leaves right before a hurricane it just adds stress during an already stressful time.

I remember Hugo. I got out of the navy at the beginning of sept89 in Norfolk. I had paid rent for the entire month. I took my time packing up my stuff, saying my goodbyes. I finally got headed down I-75 to Alabama just ahead of Hugo. I actually drove through the first rain bands of Hugo that got that far inland in SC.

First off I keep wonderignwhat the spanish sig you have says.o_O. But forget to ask you.:confused:

I was curious too so I looked it up.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" is a Latin phrase from Aeneid (II, 49), written by Virgil between 29 and 19 BC. It has been paraphrased in English as the proverb"Beware of Greeks bearing gifts". Its literal meaning is "I fear the Danaans[Greeks], even those bearing gifts" or "even when they bear gifts". Most printed versions of the text have the variant ferentis instead of ferentes.[1]

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" iIt has been paraphrased in English as the proverb "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts".

Sorry, you lost me on "Spanish" I had no idea what you were referring to or the word "sig". Had you used the words "Latin signature" I might have made the connection, maybe... don't count on it. Months ago my bank, or someone claiming to be a division of my bank I'd never heard of sent me a letter and refund check claiming that 8 or 10 years ago they had enrolled me in a program I didn't know about and charged me money for it.

They said they owed me money... then why didn't they deposit money in my checking account? This was suspicious to me so when I posted about it here in the forum. I used the old latin quote... "Beware Greeks Bearing Gifts". I was suspicious if I deposited the check "these people" would then get my account number on the returned check. :D

So I went to the local branch of my bank in the big town and they verified that the check was legit... I had to drive almost 100 miles round trip to do this.... the check didn't cover my gas money.

Latest posts

Back