Truly sustainable homesteads.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tank-Girl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This has been weighing on me for many, many months and I have to just get it off my chest.

I see so many YT channels who put themselves up as "experts" who use the word sustainable
to describe their homestead.
These are the same people who are going to the feed store twice a week to fill
their trucks, utes, vans etc with grain, hay and brag about the exotic feed additives they feed their livestock.

I've been tracking grain and crop failures across the globe and what the MSM isn't telling you
is that grain prices are steady because of stockpiles from previous harvests are held in silo's and grain bunkers across the planet.
There hasn't been a grain producing nation on earth that hasn't been hit with significant crop losses.
Ruminate on that for a second and let it sink in.
What grain that has been produced from these damaged crops are so contaminated by mycotoxins (a chemical produced from molds) that it is rendered unfit for animal feed let alone human consumption.

It's going to become very apparent in a very short amount of time that people are not going to be able to afford to buy feed for their animals if it's available at all.
Animals are going to starve because their well meaning owners can't afford to feed them OR they simply haven't planned to produce their own livestock fodder in what ever shape that takes.

Cell/ rotational grazing is good and well but what happens when there's 2 + foot of snow on the ground
and the grain at the feed store is of the poorest possible quality and so expensive that you have to choose between buying it or putting fuel in the car?

I'm NOT an alarmist but a realist and the truth about the world's grain stores is just not getting out to main stream.
I guess in order not to panic the sheeple.

I know that I, for one, would rather be told the truth so I can prepare rather than have the comfort of a
a pleasant lie.

This is a LIVE interactive global map that tracks crop losses.

THis is a international effort from people all over the world which is coordinated by Christian who lives in the States.

It's updated twice a week and sometimes more.
The links are live and lead to the verifiable sources.

These losses are for this season's crop losses worldwide.

http://iceagefarmer.com/map/

This has been weighing on me for many, many months and I have to just get it off my chest.

I see so many YT channels who put themselves up as "experts" who use the word sustainable
their trucks, utes, vans etc with grain, hay and brag about the exotic feed additives they feed their livestock.

I've been tracking grain and crop failures across the globe and what the MSM isn't telling you
is that grain prices are steady because of stockpiles from previous harvests are held in silo's and grain bunkers across the planet.
There hasn't been a grain producing nation on earth that hasn't been hit with significant crop losses.
Ruminate on that for a second and let it sink in.
What grain that has been produced from these damaged crops are so contaminated by mycotoxins (a chemical produced from molds) that it is rendered unfit for animal feed let alone human consumption.

It's going to become very apparent in a very short amount of time that people are not going to be able to afford to buy feed for their animals if it's available at all.
Animals are going to starve because their well meaning owners can't afford to feed them OR they simply haven't planned to produce their own livestock fodder in what ever shape that takes.

Cell/ rotational grazing is good and well but what happens when there's 2 + foot of snow on the ground
and the grain at the feed store is of the poorest possible quality and so expensive that you have to choose between buying it or putting fuel in the car?

I'm NOT an alarmist but a realist and the truth about the world's grain stores is just not getting out to main stream.
I guess in order not to panic the sheeple.

I know that I, for one, would rather be told the truth so I can prepare rather than have the comfort of a
a pleasant lie.
Having grown up in a grain elevator (basically), i know at the farm level, part of government's subsidies program, guarantees farmers a minimum price for their crops. They must store their grain at home or an approved elevator until either the market reaches the price the government agreed upon if not the government then buys it on a date prior to the next harvest. So yes the government has grain. I believe the government began storing grain when our farmers began growing more than the market demanded.

I believe the government began storing grain when our farmers began growing more than the market demanded.

Which was the birth and cause for the creation of the U.S. Dept. Agriculture program to "SAVE" the farmers........called "Food Stamps". Just close your eyes and visualize the instant catastrophic ramifications of eliminating that (much "LOATHED") program.

Having grown up in a grain elevator (basically), i know at the farm level, part of government's subsidies program, guarantees farmers a minimum price for their crops. They must store their grain at home or an approved elevator until either the market reaches the price the government agreed upon if not the government then buys it on a date prior to the next harvest. So yes the government has grain. I believe the government began storing grain when our farmers began growing more than the market demanded.

It wasn't the market it was the control. They regulated and bankrupted many private farmers out of farming, then turned it over to Big Ag who then brought in all their GMOs and chemical companies to feed us like the sheep we act like.

most peoples idea of sustainable agriculture is pretty far off sustainable, just big enough to get by on a good crop year etc, to make it through without outside inputs a homestead needs to be able to store enough for a complete crop failure, and as always Cattle and other ruminants do not need grain as part of their diet, unless you need to tenderize their meat because you chose draft cattle IE Herfords for a beef source.and want Angus type steaks.

I see many Youtube channels that are not putting themselves up as experts. What they are doing instead is to document there journey. Many tell you that is what they are doing. I find the hate towards these people so interesting. People who grow up in the city and realize that there are other options in life, have a ways to go. It takes them a while to figure it out. They are humble and open to learning.

They can all benefit from having subscribers and viewers since YT has changed up their monetization process.

1. Big Family Homestead just moved last year from Ohio to Wisconsin and are currently buying all their feed. They lived on a small place and didn't have the ability to raise their own feed for their chickens and goats, maybe an acre. Now they have a few head of cattle (maybe around 4), so they have not had a chance to raise any feed, but are purchasing it. They are supporting themselves by selling Thrive and doing Youtube videos. I know they will grow in their abilities as time goes on. They have a lot of work ahead of them on their farm/homestead. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClBCi5TpnTXorbRke79UyLw

2. Stevens Family Farm is another family I have been watching. They moved from an urban area in Florida to an acreage in Arkansas last year. They have 6 children, 5 of them being very young. They bought a large shed and are still working on making it livable. They have no running water or electricity. Their soil is full of rocks and if they are ever going to be able to farm it, they have a lot of rock to remove from their land. I see rock piles in the corners of fields in rural areas of Nebraska, Kansas, the Dakotas. They have had some challenges with their animals and surviving the heat and cold. Yes, they are buying feed, but they haven't lived there for even a year yet. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtbFEs70DdXx-78gX5_JavQ

3. The Crazy Drakes is another channel where they have never lived on a homestead before. These people are struggling, currently living in a camper, while preparing a large shed into a home. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFMSKCzg8dygnmgPKUE3BdQ

Who said we have to raise cattle or large animals to be sustainable? It is nice to be able to do so but not nessesary.
Most people in the world don't have land or crops fro large stock. A few chickens and crops is all they have.
Beans,potators some green ,red, yellow and orange is sustainable.

Nope,live in an apartment.
But have garden, can, freeze,dehydrate everything I grow.
So I eat fairly cheaply.
Cousin's have chickens.
Save egg cartons for her.
She gives me eggs.
I sew for other people.
We trade items, goods.
I can paint, stain furniture for someone.
They will save buttons,zippers from worn out clothing for me.
When I repair quilts for others.
I get leftover fabric, thread etc.
I can hunt,fish live off land.
And that's before I went in the Army.
My parents were raised in depression.
So I was raised in depression mind set.
When cousin goes on vacation, I go out to farm and take care of animals.
She brings me Sorghum from Kentucky.
I can make bread over fire, and have.
Don't know if that makes a me Homesteader or not.
But it's the way I live.
Would like to find about 25 acres.
Put a barn on it and call it home.
Will it happen, don't know.
God willing, otherwise where I'm at physically,mentally, emotionally is good.

Last edited:
So I eat fairly cheaply.
Cousin's have chickens.
She gives me eggs.
I sew for other people.
We trade items, goods.
Don't know if that me Homesteader or not.
But it's the way I live.

MoBook, you sound like a really cool smart person. :green man::thumbs up:

MoBook, you sound like a really cool smart person. :green man::thumbs up:
Thank you.
I'm just me.
I have money in savings.
May not be much but it's in there for emergencies.
Borrowed money from my dad, soon that money will go back into savings.
Refinanced new to me car for lower interest rate.
Still plan on paying it off in 4 years instead of 5 years
I live below my means.
Always have.

Last edited:
If I wasn't already married I'd want to get to know you better. You and my wife would be good friends if you were closer.

Yes sweetie, you.

Not at all, thank you. It is good to see people who have their heads on straight and their hearts still functional.
I believe my head is in the right place but sometimes I wonder about my heart. My wife tells me its the biggest heart she has ever seen but we have been married a while and never had an argument...
I wonder about her perceptions at times but I have never doubted her sincerity.

I'm frugal, because growing up that's what I was taught.
Don't waste nothing if possible.
right down to cooking:example:
Pot roast,potatoes,carrots etc. becomes stew, then homemade pot pies for future meals in freezer.
As for sewing for other people when first married, it was sewing patches on uniforms.
Then I started sewing for military families with lots of kids.
take one child's dress pattern make half dozen little dresses each different with fabric,trim,buttons,sizes.
Same for little boy's shirts.
That was my spending money for the week, or saved it for something special like dinner out with then husband.(divorced).
Now I sew for charity mostly, everything I made my grand daughter, made 5 extra for charity.
All got invested is time.

So I eat fairly cheaply.
Cousin's have chickens.
She gives me eggs.
I sew for other people.
We trade items, goods.
Don't know if that makes a me Homesteader or not.
But it's the way I live.

@MoBookworm1957 ,
I truly hope that you get the opportunity to live your dream. We have only 7 acres, 90% wooded and will stay that way. 1/4 mile away is the Tennessee River. I see an average of about 5 deer per day. We have turkey, squirrels, rabbits, and coons. I have many trades to barter. I have enough cleared for a good size garden.
We can and will survive if it's not a cataclysmic catastrophe in this immediate area. If it is, I'll be at the feet of Jesus! Survival in my book doesn't mean having a lot of stuff stored, though it would help tremendously. Eventually that would run out, and without survival skills what happens then?
Just my plugged nickels worth.

@MoBookworm1957 ,
I truly hope that you get the opportunity to live your dream. We have only 7 acres, 90% wooded and will stay that way. 1/4 mile away is the Tennessee River. I see an average of about 5 deer per day. We have turkey, squirrels, rabbits, and coons. I have many trades to barter. I have enough cleared for a good size garden.
We can and will survive if it's not a cataclysmic catastrophe in this immediate area. If it is, I'll be at the feet of Jesus! Survival in my book doesn't mean having a lot of stuff stored, though it would help tremendously. Eventually that would run out, and without survival skills what happens then?
Just my plugged nickels worth.
Thank you.

Glad I found this thread. I keep being wishy washy about my future plans. I'm 36 and will have my small city house played off in 82 months. If all goes to plan I should have about 70,000 in savings plus whatever I can get out of my house to buy a country property in 12 years after my last kid graduates high school. We will also have additional retirement savings. That's 2030. Should I put up that money and plunge into full time homesteading when I could semi retire in my small city at 50? I think of my life at 50 and think how miserable I will be if I'm still living where I do. What's the point of retiring early if I hate it? Yes I have a garden now and at one crazy time we had 12 chickens 2 ducks 5 rabbits and a dog but my third of an acre just can't support that full time. I won't feel safe untill I have enough land to grow a years worth of food and support the animals that I want and feel I need. What do y'all think?

Glad I found this thread. I keep being wishy washy about my future plans. I'm 36 and will have my small city house played off in 82 months. If all goes to plan I should have about 70,000 in savings plus whatever I can get out of my house to buy a country property in 12 years after my last kid graduates high school. We will also have additional retirement savings. That's 2030. Should I put up that money and plunge into full time homesteading when I could semi retire in my small city at 50? I think of my life at 50 and think how miserable I will be if I'm still living where I do. What's the point of retiring early if I hate it? Yes I have a garden now and at one crazy time we had 12 chickens 2 ducks 5 rabbits and a dog but my third of an acre just can't support that full time. I won't feel safe untill I have enough land to grow a years worth of food and support the animals that I want and feel I need. What do y'all think?

We started over in late middle age. It gets harder everyday to keep the place up. So the earlier you start building your farm the better, imo. If things get so bad you need to store a years worth of food you may not be able to keep it so I'd just grow a few months at a time. It doesn't take a lot of land to grow food to store but if you want privacy you need enough to keep distance from neighbors.
Most people think when the kids grow up they will be there to help, thats is usually not the case, they go live their lives away from home like they should if they are independent minded.
Just my opinion so good luck in whatever you do.

Back