Try the Mormon way to save money...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, found it! That would be fun to go to.
I always like to go. But don't go very often anymore.

I really liked going when I got to fill the cans, seal them, put the labels on and box up my food. Sometimes there were volunteers who would help. One time there was a young man, maybe 19, who was Jewish who was volunteering. I asked him what or why. He said he was just curious about it all.

Farmington is a ways off for me, but one is listed in Albuquerque. I'll have to call them and ask questions. Says they're open half day Thurs and Sat.
The one closest to me is open with more hours than before. Being able to get there when I was working was a challenge. I only seemed to be able to get there once every 2 or 3 months.
They do tend to close down during holidays. That is understandable as all the people who work there are not paid, but appointed (can't say volunteer) to the positions. Unpaid workers is probably one of the reasons their food costs are low.

Yes @Weedygarden the workers are not paid and are either there by callings, assignments or doing work in exchange for welfare they may have received and some may volunteer some of their spare time too in service (any community work or volunteering we call service not volunteering). The church's welfare system is there to help people but they do believe that something in the way of Christlike service in return is a way of promoting self reliance and self confidence too. The church is a not for profit organisation.

You are right this is how they keep their food distribution prices down too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back