Trying to figure out if this is mold effloresence or something else in my machine shed

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeds86

Friend
Neighbor
Hey everyone, I just joined the forum... a coworker had said this is the place to ask, I'm having troubles in my machine shed, it has a dirt floor and has developed a growth and I cant tell if it's white mold, efflorescence, or a type of algae. Does anyone have any clue what this might be and possibly have ideas how to rid my machine shed of it

Attachments

• 20200614_193702.jpg
    20200614_193702.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 113
Welcomr Drrds and I'm sure one of us can help you if you describe it a little better.
What colors are in it ?Also other metal type reactions can cause growth.,
We have several people here that are good at this kind of thing.

Thanks for the reply, it's mostly off white but also has some yellows browns and greens present... I've tried removing it last summer by removing the top layer of contaminated dirt, this year it came back so before I go gungho on the thing I've tried spraying a few chemicals in different test spots... I've tried a store bought mold control spray, bleach and then separately tried vinegar... these aren't being very effective, so I thought I'd ask here cause I'm aware of mold,efflorescence, and possibly algae? If theres something else it could be it would be a new insight for me! I'm struggling cause I do winter storage here in mn. And I'm not willing to risk damage to customers campers or boats. The stuff kindof disappears when wet but once dried again it comes back...

I'm also going to add that this stuff is more of a crystal than a cotton candy type appearance, usually when I see mold it looks like cotton balls

I'm also going to add that this stuff is more of a crystal than a cotton candy type appearance, usually when I see mold it looks like cotton balls

Deeds I'd rather let thoe here help you that know more about his type of thing.But I'll keep you bumped up till one comes along.Glad to have you and hope you get answer soon. .

Thanks for the replys, I'll let you know where I'm at now, I bought about 15 gallons of vinegar and put it in my weed sprayer and soaked the entire floor of the barn...after it soaked for about 8 hours I turned the dirt so if it starts to reemerge I'll be able to see what's new growth! I think I might also try the cinnamon as well for a precaution although I'm leaning away from an algae/fungus... but hey I'll try anything to stay on top of it! I just would like to be able to put the camper and plow back in but dont trust it for the time being! You guys are awesome for helping me out! I will keep the post updated as time goes on!

Alright I figured it out, my soil was high in ph, causing alkaline soil, that's why it was more of a crystal than a fuzz... the farmer down the road came down and tested the soil and said well that's just alkaline soil, so my understanding is you have acidic soil with low ph and alkaline soil with high ph, so by me trying to kill the so called mold with white vinegar, I really just neutralized my soil to a normal ph level! I feel so dumb but hey maybe in the end my actions could be considered smart! Thought I'd post my findings, thanks everyone

Latest posts

Back