Turnips

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are pretty easy to grow. Give the seeds lots of space because the leaves will spread out a bit. I am growing them in 6-9" containers. Each turnip will be the size of an orange or grapefruit when full size. We peal them and cut them up like potatoes for use in stews, they are white fleshed and fairly sweet. I have eaten them raw like eating a raw potato....

They are pretty easy to grow. Give the seeds lots of space because the leaves will spread out a bit. I am growing them in 6-9" containers. Each turnip will be the size of an orange or grapefruit when full size. We peal them and cut them up like potatoes for use in stews, they are white fleshed and fairly sweet. I have eaten them raw like eating a raw potato....
There's an idea. Should I start them in my mini greenhouse or garage? Are they heat/cold tolerant?

I have some started in my greenhouse (never gets below 45) and I placed a container of mature plants outside, we have seen a couple of 28 degree nights and the turnips are still fine. They are much more hardy than I would have expected.

They have big leaves and they don't like to be crowded, mine have shown themselves to be very good at germination (quick too) so I only put about 3 seeds in a small hole about 1/4" deep. I still end up having to pull 2 plants for thinning.

I have a batch in the greenhouse now that germinated with temperatures between 50 and 65, I am growing them in small (20"X28") concrete mixing tubs that I picked up at home depot for $8, I plant 6 plants in one. We don't eat them fast so we just do 6, and when I harvest them I start 6 more.... I would take a picture, but I am moving my music onto my new phone and it says it will take 19 hours to complete....

I'm a Southerner. I love turnip greens.
The turnips themselves we dice and boil until tender. We do not peel them, just cut the very top off.
Sometimes we will boil them with rice at the same time.

I adore turnip greens, I despise turnips EXCEPT when they are cold pickled. otherwise they are great animal food, hogs love them.

As long as we are talking Turnips I looked up some ways to fix um....

Turnips are a type of root vegetable not many people in the US know about, much less know how to cook. White on the bottom and purple or yellow on top where it comes in direct contact with the sun, turnips are available year-round, but their main growing season is from October to March. Crunchy and less starchy than a potato, they’re slightly bitter in flavor but become much sweeter when roasted.

If you’ve yet to buy your first bunch of turnips, be adventurous and don’t pass them up for ‘safer’ root vegetables like sweet potatoes and carrots. Instead, try one of these approachable recipes and discover how you like your turnips. Once you know how to eat turnips a few different ways, you’ll find it easier to incorporate them into your diet.

1. Turnip Fries

Replace oily French fries with these baked turnip fries. You won't even notice the difference as the outside becomes crispy and the inside turns fluffy. And no one said these fries can't be covered in ketchup!

2. Turnip Chips

Smaller sized turnips have a milder flavor, especially when they're thinly sliced and baked until crunchy. Sounds like a potato chip, and who doesn't love snacking on those? To add more flavor, these chips get sprinkled with piney rosemary.

3. Kale Pesto Turnip Spaghetti

Spiralized vegetables are part of a craze that swaps flour-based spaghetti for nutrient-packed vegetables. Turnips should not be overlooked when used in this way, especially when the sauce is a herb loaded kale pesto. Buon appetito!

4. Mashed Turnips

A great side to serve along any hearty meat dish. Because turnips aren't starchy, they won't be as fluffy as regular mashed potatoes. To make mashed turnips extra creamy, be generous with the milk and butter.

#SpoonTip: Some mashed turnips recipes add a potato to make the final dish fluffier.

5. Turnip Coleslaw

Enjoy turnips raw by shredding them and adding them to coleslaw. This is a great side dish to accompany any summer meal. Your guests will definitely be impressed when they crunch down on this unusual ingredient added to your basic coleslaw recipe.

6. Roasted Chicken with Vegetables Chicken Roasted with Turnips and Carrots

With this recipe, your entire dinner can be cooked on one roasting pan. Simple bake until the chicken can be pulled apart and the vegetables are tender. Turnips paired with sweet carrots may just be your new favorite combo.

7. Turnip Home Fries hash, bacon, egg, potato

Change up your usual breakfast by adding diced turnips to this diner staple. Cutting up the turnips creates more surface area, which means an extra crispy and flavorful bite. Adding a sunny side up egg for a runny yolk is never a bad addition!

8. Turnip Gratin: potato gratin

This indulgent gratin is super simple to make. Thinly slice peeled turnips, lay them in a baking dish, and sprinkle herbs, cheese, butter, and cream over top and bake in a hot oven until the cream is about to bubble over.

9. Salad with Turnips

rotisserie chicken salad, bitter greens, walnut dressing, bread crumbs

A light and refreshing salad with turnips is another flavorful way to enjoy this root vegetable. Choose fresh, in-season greens, then add toasted nuts and thinly sliced turnips. Toss with a bright and lemony vinaigrette. When did healthy become so enjoyable?

10. Turnip Greens: Collard Greens Horta a la Greque

The large bulb isn't the only edible part of a turnip. Prepare them like you would spinach or collard greens. Add bacon, onion, a spoonful of sugar, and a small amount of water. The turnip greens are ready when they're tender and have wilted down.

Not only are turnips prized for their crunchy texture and unique flavor, but they also contain multiple vitamins and minerals. With the 10 turnip recipes above, you'll become more comfortable working with this underrated root vegetable. Cash in on the many health benefits of turnips and stop wondering how you're supposed to incorporate them into your diet.

I wonder if they would make a good radish substitute? A thin slice of brined radish on a lox and bagel with a dab of thinly sliced red onion is the bomb.

Latest posts

Back