two cycle oil

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Redline.

https://www.redlineoil.com/all-sport-two-stroke-oil
As far as possible, I use Redline lubricants/grease for everything.

Most people have to select lubricants as a matter of trust - that the oil will protect their gear (as there is no obvious difference between the performance of the gear with that oil or others).

But over the years, I have observed improvements in performance of our equipment when using Redline oils - so despite the higher cost, that is what we use.

I only use two-cycle oil in my chainsaws, brushcutter, and limbing saw....so, I do not use that much on an annual basis. Maybe enough to treat 5 gallons of gasoline per year.

I use an oil branded by one of the companies of the equipment....Husquvana, Jonsered, or Stihl. I like the convenience of the pre-measured bottles.

Stihl when I need to mix it. However I found the premixed at HD works a lot better with regards to starting when cold

In a pinch W30 was what 2 cycle oil use to be back in the day. I keep 5 gallons of my old car oil for "SHTF" stuff and I also use those 5 gallons to fill the chainsaw instead of buying chain oil.

I used to mix oil for my two LawnBoy 2-cycle mowers. It was interesting that the owners manual indicated that if an owner used non-LawnBoy branded oil, they had to mix in twice as much oil. So, I used the Lawnboy oil. It came in 8-ounce cans. I believe that was mixed with 2 gallons of gasoline (32:1). Eventually, I converted my two walk-behind Lawnboys to a single riding mower, complete with a beverage holder.

1609774435292.png

You guys are probably gonna think I'm nuts, but I generally buy the premixed stuff. Super expensive, I know. But I always appreciate that I'm not smellin' it and chokin' on smoke like I do when I mix it myself. My ATV has a tank for oil and a tank for gas so it does the mixing for me. A gallon of the expensive stuff lasts me quite a long time as I don't use much of it. Pretty much chainsaw, weedeater, and leaf blower are all I use the premix for. Most stuff I run is just plain gas. For the ATV... it's whatever I happen to have. I think the last bottle of it I bought said STP on it, don't remember for sure and would have to go lookin'. I've had it several years and have only topped it off once.

You guys are probably gonna think I'm nuts, but I generally buy the premixed stuff. Super expensive, I know. But I always appreciate that I'm not smellin' it and chokin' on smoke like I do when I mix it myself.
If you're choking on smoke, it sounds like your mixing in too much oil. If your engine calls for 50-1 and you're putting in a pre-measured amount for a bottle set to 32-1, that's way too much oil.

Yea, the pre-mixed is expensive but as I recall, it's also pure gas (no ethanol) so that's a plus.

If you're choking on smoke, it sounds like your mixing in too much oil. If your engine calls for 50-1 and you're putting in a pre-measured amount for a bottle set to 32-1, that's way too much oil.

Yea, the pre-mixed is expensive but as I recall, it's also pure gas (no ethanol) so that's a plus.

You're right. Of the 2-cycle machines that I have, I don't think I actually know a ratio that any specifically call for. That's bad of me. I should look them up and write it on the wall of the garage, where all things mechanical happen. While I'm writing, I should probably also write down some useful stuff like what size socket I need for each of the oil plugs, lug nuts, stuff like that. I'd save myself from a lot of fumblin' 'cause I know I won't remember. LOL!!

ALmost all small 2 stroke engines made in the last 20-30 years are 40:1 or 50:1. 3.2 ounces of oil to a gallon for 40 to 1 2.8 ounces for 50 to 1 Having said that I mix ALL my gas a little heavy I want to see just a little smoke in a two stroke. That's why my saws and such have lasted 20-30 years. Gallon jugs of Pennzoil marine mix is what I use since it's economical and fights water intrusion. Fun fact any 10w30 10w40 or 30 weight oil can be used in a pinch in the same ratio.

P.S. I ran a small engine repair shop for years.

Used to use power punch..it had a great add lol. Now I use either stihl or husqvarna mostly. I make Mark's on the little Pre mixed jugs and just refill from a big one. I really should order a new oil converter measuring cup, my numbers got wore off my old one.

. Fun fact any 10w30 10w40 or 30 weight oil can be used in a pinch in the same ratio.

P.S. I ran a small engine repair shop for years.
Respestfully disagree with the multi-viscosity oils.
The same thing that makes them wonderful for 4-cycle engines in cold weather makes them deadly for 2-strokes. When the engine gets hot, the piston scuffs and will transfer aluminum to the cylinder wall.
30-wt non-detergent is safe if you go all the way down to 16:1 which is what we used back in the day when swimming in 'the blue cloud' was normal. If we could have done 32:1, we sure would have.
With 40-wt, we could do 32:1 .
If you mix 10W30 or 10W40 at 32:1 or 50:1, it is a death-sentence for the engine when it is hot because at temp, it is 10-weight oil.
(off topic: go electric for anything but a chainsaw :thumbs: )

A friend of mine owned a logging camp. He bought Delo 400 by the 55 gallon drum. It cost a bit more but he could use it in his diesel and gas crank cases as well as his chainsaws and outboards. One product for everything made it worth the extra cost, to him.

Respestfully disagree with the multi-viscosity oils.
The same thing that makes them wonderful for 4-cycle engines in cold weather makes them deadly for 2-strokes. When the engine gets hot, the piston scuffs and will transfer aluminum to the cylinder wall.
30-wt non-detergent is safe if you go all the way down to 16:1 which is what we used back in the day when swimming in 'the blue cloud' was normal. If we could have done 32:1, we sure would have.
With 40-wt, we could do 32:1 .
If you mix 10W30 or 10W40 at 32:1 or 50:1, it is a death-sentence for the engine when it is hot because at temp, it is 10-weight oil.
(off topic: go electric for anything but a chainsaw :thumbs: )

Somewhere around here I have a data sheet from chevron from the 70's that has them listed as suitable substitutes. I have also used both 10w30 and 10w40 upon occasion in a pinch not as my normal oil. I also have a can of quaker state that is standard motor oil 10w30 with the mix ratios printed on the metal can. States on the can for 2 or 4 stroke engines. If I run across either one I'll snap a pick and post it provided I can figure out how to without using a third party photo host. Granted the metal oil can is from before my time and tech has changed, is changing all the time. I keep plenty of 2 stroke oil on hand but in a pinch I'd use either one again. Granted it's not something I would use unless it were necessary. All of my saws but the largest one are 15 years old to 50+ years old.

Last edited:
A friend of mine owned a logging camp. He bought Delo 400 by the 55 gallon drum. It cost a bit more but he could use it in his diesel and gas crank cases as well as his chainsaws and outboards. One product for everything made it worth the extra cost, to him.
Likely it was this 40wt oil:
Delo 400 SAE 40
SAE Grade: SAE 40
API: SJ
Delo 400 SAE 40 monograde oils are mixed-fleet motor oils recommended for older four-stroke gasoline and diesel engines.

That would work for all of them and the 2-strokes, if the weather didn't get too cold. The diesels wouldn't be happy then. ;)

chevron_delo_400_sae_40_jug.jpg

Last edited:
All my equipment is husqvarna and the guy who has the small engine shop sells the husqvarna little bottles by the case... which is right in front of the register. I literally have to reach over the stack of cases to hand him cash. I just get a case every year or so.

Is there a special 2 stroke oil used with E10 fuel?

Latest posts

Back