Typical new member title and greeting

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbri

A Gabonese Prepper-ish woman
Neighbor
I don't know if I'm greeting the forum or just creating a formal first post on the forum. Otherwise, it's just bad form 😏

But I'm interested in learning as much as I can about homesteafing, permaculture, off-grid living, on a budget. Pretty much trying to learn as much as possible on being self-sufficient. I'm extremely, extremely new to it, currently living in the city (Not in the US) but I'm hoping to change that little by little in the next year.

Anyways, I'm both nervous and excited to embark on this journey (it's about time) and I'm really looking forward to gaining knowledge and getting to know people in this lifestyle.

A warm welcome from Alaska!

Welcome from Eastern Missouri, right in the middle of the USA. This is a great place to start. Great people, willing to share, and a wealth of information. We are all curious (not nosy) about your location. The country and maybe a directional location would help. We do have some members who are outside the U.S. Good to have you with us.

Thank you everyone. I'm from Gabon in Central Africa. Living in the capital. City Life being the same everywhere is a pain, haha. My options are a bit open, I have thought about where would be the ideal place for me - if not an island, if I could do that - otherwise a lot of what I learn here will most likely have to be accommodated for a tropical and more humid climate. Or not, since central Africa isn't the only humid place in the world!

Thanks for the welcome :)

Thank you everyone. I'm from Gabon in Central Africa. Living in the capital. City Life being the same everywhere is a pain, haha. My options are a bit open, I have thought about where would be the ideal place for me - if not an island, if I could do that - otherwise a lot of what I learn here will most likely have to be accommodated for a tropical and more humid climate. Or not, since central Africa isn't the only humid place in the world!

Thanks for the welcome :)

20210527_114628.jpg

20210527_114703.jpg

20210527_114728.jpg

Welcome SW PA

Ben

Welcome, from Colorado, USA. I have met people over the years from various parts of Africa, but never anyone from Gabon. Are you a native of Gabon, and is English your first language? I see that French is the official language, probably from the days of imperialism. I see that Gabon is close to the equator, so it must get pretty warm there. I just had to look at aspects of your country and found this. There is more than what I pasted here.
Gabon - Wikipedia

Independence from France
Area
Population
Official languagesFrench
Vernacular languagesshow
List
Religion
(2012)[1]
Demonym(s)
  • Gabonese
  • Gabonaise
GovernmentUnitary dominant-party presidential republic
PresidentAli Bongo Ondimba
Prime MinisterRose Christiane Raponda
LegislatureParliament
Upper houseSenate
Lower houseNational Assembly
• Republic establishedNovember 28, 1958
• GrantedAugust 17, 1960
• Total267,667 km2 (103,347 sq mi) (76th)
• Water (%)3.76%
• 2018 estimate2,119,275[2][3] (146th)
• Density7.9/km2 (20.5/sq mi) (216th)

Yes I am from there, but moved around a lot growing up so English kinda took over. I've lost a lot of my French over the years but it's coming back.
It is humid and hot here but not as hot as some other places, in spite of being right on the equator. I used to live in Dubai and it's way worse.

I already got it :) Time to go through it.
The author is a earth lover/ tree hugger type and his beliefs creep in when explaining WHY to do permaculture. I just skipped those parts.

But aside from Antarctica he covers a lot of good info including what goes with what where and why.

Enjoy!

Ben

Hello and a warm welcome from S.W. Oregon, I remember Gabon from my school days back in the 1950's when the school history teacher said, "Remember what Africa looks like today because in a short time everything is going to change." and since then they certainly have, but you've come to a good place, lots of great info and caring people.

The author is a earth lover/ tree hugger type and his beliefs creep in when explaining WHY to do permaculture. I just skipped those parts.

But aside from Antarctica he covers a lot of good info including what goes with what where and why.

Enjoy!

Ben

So a hippie?

I am going to assume that you realize that none of the people who have welcomed/responded to you via this internet forum are living 'off the grid'.
Yeah, but a lot of us are just a step away, my wife is going to a local town for treatments for her hip and joint problems, I told her, do it now because I believe that we are really close to just staying at home and living off the grid for the rest of our days. I've even thought of prepaying our property taxes for a number of years ahead, who knows what's going to happen with all the bad stuff presently going on.

Welcome to here! So glad you found our little home.

Tips that might keep you from learning things the hard way:

Baby steps! Don't take giant steps into your new venture, especially if they are costly. Don't be quick to go into debt; instead, think of ways to do things either for free or very low cost. That way when you later discover that you positively cannot stand (insert your favorite cursed thing here), you will not be out a bunch of money.

Some examples of baby steps: do a small garden at first, then enlarge it a little more each year. If you plan on getting animals, put up their home and fencing and test for solidness before bringing them in. Get only a few at a time! Get to know all the pros and cons of that kind of animal before getting more. Too many or too many different kinds all at once can be overwhelming and could rob your joy, making it a (sometimes heartbreaking) chore rather than a benefit.

Read a lot of books by respected authors, ask questions on various forums and weigh out the answers (sometimes you may get bad advice, depending on who answers).

Lots of homesteady types in here! If you need help with anything, post a thread, and soon folks will chime in with been-there-done-that advice.

Last edited:
Back