Ubuntu OS??

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
OK, I have been reading and researching Ubuntu OS.

I think I'm ready to start using it.

I have Win10, and want to be able to keep Win10....just in case.;)

Anybody here with experience on double booting Unbuntu and Win10?

What do I need to be careful about?

OR

Do I want to really make the move?

Jim

It’s a very stable version. If you understand partitions and such it’s quite easy. You can also run it from dvd or usb to test drive it. 16.04 LTS is what I’m running on a laptop but I’ve run dual boot on my desktop for gaming. Mint is also a pretty good version of Linux. Depends on what you want to do but I like Linux far more than Windoz... Unfortunately, I still have a few things that only run on win so I still keep it.

You download the ISO file from their site and burn it (not copy) to a CD or DVD. Then you boot your computer from the CD/DVD. It will as if you want to dual boot Windows 10 or replace it. Choose dual boot so you can keep using the software you are used to and get replacement products from the Ubuntu Software Center. I have a complete Office Suite, CAD, Photo Editor, CD/DVD burner, Audio recorder, Video recorder, Math works and a ton of other stuff that I never had with Microsoft OS. I can read and write to MS Word files, Spreadsheets, and even database files. The entire Linux platform is inherently more secure and comes with a configurable firewall. You can set your browser up so it tracks nothing and keeps no history so that websites can't steal information about you to send you advertisements.
It is easy to learn how to clean up the file system and almost completely unnecessary because it cleans up after itself in most cases. I have not had a software failure related to the OS in the last 20 years. I write code as a hobby and during development I find bugs that can cause problems but I can easily correct them before running outside of the development environment. All my coding is done in ANSI C99 so it can be easily ported across any system that has a C compiler. Oh, if you are a coder then you will be happy to hear the Ubuntu comes with its own C and C+ compiler. :)

I have an old desktop that I run dual boot for DOS and Lubuntu (Ubuntu light) with separate drives. It works great and FreeDOS is a real operating system that as internet support and a lot of other stuff tat I have come to rely on. It does not have a decent word processor as the word processors developed fo DOS were mostly just text editors. I do have a decent cad program for DOS and I have a lot of drawings from my past still in that directory but I have converted some to DXF format so I can edit them with the CAD under Ubuntu. That is LibreCAD by the way. It is a very good two dimensional CAD that is relatively easy to learn and a dream to work in. LibreCAD is available for Windows and OSX too.

For someone who is 'migrating' from Windows, and has no experience with the procedural formalities of The Command Line, Linux - including Ubuntu Linux - presents a roadblock just around the second corner. Most of your Ubuntu system's housekeeping and maintenance is not accessible from the GUI (Graphical User Interface). You have to do it from the command line. It's like DOS used to be, only more so.

Jim, buy a book - or check an up-to-date one from the library. One of those "Complete Idiot's Guide" books will do, as long as it includes the command line stuff. If your mind is still young enough, you will be able to manage the system, probably with the book by your side for awhile. My mind isn't young enough; I try to pound that stuff into memory, but it won't take.

I keep Ubuntu on a mini-computer nearby, just to keep me connected to the world when the primary computer craps out.

When this machine dies, I will be exploring having Mint installed on a new machine. I will not travel to Windows 10. I am totally against taking away my autonomy when it comes to updates. I'm totally against the fact many of those updates are more for spying on my activity on the net than actually providing a safer, smoother net access.

When this machine dies, I will be exploring having Mint installed on a new machine. I will not travel to Windows 10. I am totally against taking away my autonomy when it comes to updates. I'm totally against the fact many of those updates are more for spying on my activity on the net than actually providing a safer, smoother net access.

If your worried about windows and it’s spy features try https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

There are other workarounds for updates and such.

I would suggest either Mint or Ubuntu setup as a dual boot setup, or, find a cheap older computer to fully install. Since resource usage is so low it doesn’t take a lot to run it. I often game with my desktop and have a strong system for that but for general use it’s not needed.

I'm going to check that site out. If it looks good that means I can stop researching new updates to see if they are also tracking updates for 7. That seems to be what most of the updates have been lately.

I like Ubuntu for two reasons: 1) it's a great way to breath new life into older hardware, and 2) it's rock solid stable, regardless of the platform (base OS, dual boot, VM). I'm an Apple guy, so my base operating system is OS X (essentially Unix with a nifty UI overlay). I run Windows 8 and Ubuntu virtual machines. More and more, I find myself doing the "mission critical" work on Ubuntu.

Linux is pretty much maintenance free - unlike DOS or Windows. Most of the cleanup is done during the software install process and when the system is shut down and started.

You may want to clean out the old OS files occasionally because they are left behind for emergency repairs but the maintenance is limited to three lines typed into the terminal and your password to reach root commands. Now, I write software in C99 and it only runs in the terminal so I use terminal more than most but even that is not a problem because it can be done through a GUI application.

Really running Ubuntu is like running Windows without all the maintenance and risk of virus attacks. Most people don't use the terminal at all.

(posted Monday because of database error on Sunday)

So how have you made out with Ubuntu?

It's like one of those items on your project list (which is now a book) that started in the middle of page 1,
and has been shoved to the bottom of page 2, because page 1 continues to have projects added to the top , that become higher priority.

Maybe someday this year .

Maybe.

Right now my "to to book"....is becoming my nightmare list.

Remove 1 add 3.
banging-head-on-the-wall-smiley-emoticon.gif

Jim

I've been running linuxmint for about three weeks now. No driver for one of my printers, so Mint is on a dual boot setup with Windows 10. About the only time I boot Windows is to run that printer (a Canon laser printer that prints both sides of the paper). Mint is an easy switch from Windows, because the GUI is similar. So... try it, you'll like it.

I've been running linuxmint for about three weeks now. No driver for one of my printers, so Mint is on a dual boot setup with Windows 10. About the only time I boot Windows is to run that printer (a Canon laser printer that prints both sides of the paper). Mint is an easy switch from Windows, because the GUI is similar. So... try it, you'll like it.

Yeah Mint is pretty decent. Based on Ubuntu if I recall too. After my fiasco the other night with dual boot “ operator error”, I’m just going to run two separate machines in my office. Might put a few extra “flavors” on it at the same time.

I’m you want to check some info about the “flavors” you can check here. https://distrowatch.com/

I personaly dont know anything about Zorin but according to this article it'd easy to setup and use. https://fossbytes.com/zorin-os-12-3-linux-download-features/amp/
Yeah Mint is pretty decent. Based on Ubuntu if I recall too. After my fiasco the other night with dual boot “ operator error”, I’m just going to run two separate machines in my office. Might put a few extra “flavors” on it at the same time.

I’m you want to check some info about the “flavors” you can check here. https://distrowatch.com/

Yes linux Mint and several others are based on Ubuntu. I also use/goto distro watch to get my info on newly updated info on new versions of linux. I myself like Fedora linux https://getfedora.org I find it better to navigate around in. But there is a bit if a learning curve compared to Mint or Ubuntu.

I have been using Ubuntu for about four years I think. I like it much better than Windows and never have had a problem with it. The next computer I buy will not have Windows in it. This one does, because when I bought it I was chicken to buy one without. It takes up half of my space with something I never use. I have never booted it up and if I did I am sure windows 10 would be spending hours updating.

I have been using Ubuntu for about four years I think. I like it much better than Windows and never have had a problem with it. The next computer I buy will not have Windows in it. This one does, because when I bought it I was chicken to buy one without. It takes up half of my space with something I never use. I have never booted it up and if I did I am sure windows 10 would be spending hours updating.

I use my android phone when i'm on the road but when im home i use my wife's computer which is windows 10, but i myself like using Fedora linux.

Format the drive and install the Linux flavor you prefer. Unless you are using / running something dependent on direct x like games or other tools there is absolutely no need for Windows.

I need to do that, I know.

Latest posts

Back