Underground spring?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearl

Finder of lost things AND The Boss
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My hubby has pvc pipe that he drove into the ground 18" to 2' outside his shop doors. When the doors are open a rod on the door goes into the pvc to hold it open. One of the pvc pipes has had water in it the past two weeks. We have had NO rain, in a really serious drought. There are no water lines close by. There are many natural springs in my area. One on a neighboring ranch usually has thicker vegitation around it and the ground is damp around it, even in drought times. The surface dirt is so hard right now but I want to get a sharp shooter out and dig a little. Can't imagine where else that water would be coming from. Any thoughts??

My hubby has pvc pipe that he drove into the ground 18" to 2' outside his shop doors. When the doors are open a rod on the door goes into the pvc to hold it open. One of the pvc pipes has had water in it the past two weeks. We have had NO rain, in a really serious drought. There are no water lines close by. There are many natural springs in my area. One on a neighboring ranch usually has thicker vegitation around it and the ground is damp around it, even in drought times. The surface dirt is so hard right now but I want to get a sharp shooter out and dig a little. Can't imagine where else that water would be coming from. Any thoughts??
Does bear realize himself there?

I developed two springs that revealed themselves via soggy ground. One was about 3' below ground and the about 5' down.

They are my backup water supply if needed.

Ben

It might be a spring or it might be a perched water table.

1666304833756.png

If after you pump out the PVC, the water returns quickly then it means the surrounding soil is permeable and an aquifer. To stay there most/all the time, it must be supported by an aquitard and subject to recharge (from surrounding aquifer).

Genuine springs are created by an underground water resource that has hydraulic head at the ground surface. Most commonly that occurs part way down a hill with the right hydrological structures. Sometimes it can occur on flat land as an "artesian well".

1666305233774.png

The size and geometry of the recharging aquifer and the quality of the water within it, determines how practically useful a spring might be.

Last edited:
It might be a spring or it might be a perched water table.

View attachment 96292

If after you pump out the PVC, the water returns quickly then if means the surrounding soil is permeable and an aquifer. To stay there most/all the time, it must be supported by an aquitard and subject to recharge (from surrounding aquifer).

Genuine springs are created by an underground water resources that has hydraulic head at the ground surface. Most commonly that occurs part way down a hill with the right hydrological structures. Sometimes it can occur on flat land as an "artesian well".

View attachment 96293
The size and geometry of the recharging aquifer and the quality of the water within it, determines how practically useful a spring might be.
Thank you for those diagrams.

Considering the two springs I did develop were bubbling up at ground level they may have been artesian wells.

The first one I developed I had go down 3' to a ahale level were the water came out sideways. It will slow to a trickle in August our dryest month.

The second required I go another 2 feet down to another shale layer. It will slow down but never saw it stop completely. Serms like an aquifer above another aquifer.

Both of the developed springs are on the slope of a ravine carved out by erosion of a stream bed. There is a large wooded area above that collects the rain and feeds the aquifers.

On the other side of the ravine there is a seasonally wet spot that is a swampy mess. There often small mud tubes that 2-3" tall around it. I was once rold they were made by crayfish but that may be wrong. I could imagine they the results of the water bubbling up. It produces enough water for cattails to grow in a ditch down hill from it.

A 100 yards farther along the hillside there is shale cliff outcropping below which there about seven distinct places where water emerges. They feed a creek that never goes dry year round. (I theorize the springs undermined the hillside forming the rock outcropping) . Those springs are at a slightly lower elevation than the previously mentioned wet spot.

Beyond the stream bed fed by the seven springs I discovered a circle if bricks. It appears to be a filled in well. About 50-75 feet from the brick circle to where the chicken coup my mother was born in.

So....

My theory is that I am looking at multiple strata of shale, some permeable and others not, with fissures that allow higher aquifers to feed lower.

Complicated stuff this water stuff!

Now to further complicate this dribble...

I used to work for a liberal prepper (yes that is a real thing. He's an OK guy) I described an odd pattern to him that observed while watching the springs feed the pond. The flows would ebb and flow over a 3-5 minute cycle. Huh?

Turns out he worked a problem in grad school that modeled water dynamics in aquifers. :thumbs:

Turns iut water will like in a tub slosh around.

I know too much words. I like springs.

Ben

Yep - many of my gully dams are spring fed.

When we set out to build them, we identified as many of the gully springs as we could and then located the walls so the springs were level with the full mark on the dam. That maximized spring flow into the dam and provided the best potential for the spring to recharge the dam through summer.

Yep - many of my gully dams are spring fed.

When we set out to build them, we identified as many of the gully springs as we could and then located the walls so the springs were level with the full mark on the dam. That maximized spring flow into the dam and provided the best potential for the spring to recharge the dam through summer.
Oh oh

Got pictures?

Wink wink nudge nudge

Ben

Oh oh

Got pictures?

Wink wink nudge nudge

Ben
I am cautious about posting pictures on the web........but hopefully these don't blow my OPSEC.

We have more than a dozen dams with individual capacity ranging from about 0.5 Million gallons to about 5 million gallons. All the water catchment for our dams are either on our land or come from surrounding vacant forest. We are upstream of all our neighbors.

The following images are of one of the smaller ones - so about 0.5 million gallons.

The dam was built about 14 years ago by myself and a contractor.

It has springs that feed it in a few spots around the perimeter (and that is why it is located where it is).

If has a 4" pipe under the wall fitted with a big cast steel globe valve - it has gravity head to our dwelling.

Dam 1.jpg

The following image shows one of the springs that feeds the dam. Those rushes were there before construction and were damp/green all year round. As I posted above, the wall location/level was selected to create a coincidence between the springs and the high water level of the dam.
Dam 2.jpg

The following image shows the spillway for the dam. Note that the spillway is long (to make sure outflow discharges on to part of the slope that prevents water getting back to the downhill side of the wall) and that the spillway is tilted towards the hill to make sure the water flows over hard ground.
Dam 3.jpg

When I lived in Lofall, Washington I was told by a neighbor that lived below my grandparents home that their well water came from a contained aquifer that came from the Olympic Mountains which came under Hood Canal, a salt water body that was probably five or miles due west of their well, the water in their well was extremely cold and was tinged with a glacial run off color. I've talked to others about spring sources and a number of them said that spring and well sources don't always come from where you think it does.

There are four aquifers where I grew up. The shallowest is about thirty feet down and breaks the surface as a "seep" in certain places. It is in a gravel vein that stretches for many miles. Unless it gets extremely dry, it seeps out of the north creek bank at Pops' farm. The water is no good for human consumption, it's so full of iron that it leaves orange streaks wherever it seeps and it's got ag contaminants.

Actual springs are pretty much non existent where I live. On the other hand, there are some flowing wells, which can be tapped to run hydraulic ram pumps.

@Hardcalibres I put this in reference in case you didn't see it. Terraces USDA engineering Field Handbook. Every field has to be terraced here, sandy soil.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/t...l-erosion-usda-engineering-field-guide.15754/
There are several springs within walking distance... One puts out 12gallons a minute. There are 5 down in the bottoms. We had a cow watering pond below one. Called it the "cold sprang". Very cold, relatively speaking, it hasn't run dry since 1880.

Here it is in ice on a cold winter day.

Pond 300 (7) a.jpg

Last edited:
There are four aquifers where I grew up. The shallowest is about thirty feet down and breaks the surface as a "seep" in certain places. It is in a gravel vein that stretches for many miles. Unless it gets extremely dry, it seeps out of the north creek bank at Pops' farm. The water is no good for human consumption, it's so full of iron that it leaves orange streaks wherever it seeps and it's got ag contaminants.

Actual springs are pretty much non existent where I live. On the other hand, there are some flowing wells, which can be tapped to run hydraulic ram pumps.
If the water returns after being siphoned I'll send a sample in for testing.

I have a spot on the back side of my property I suspect is a wet weather spring. Only part of our land with rock on it. From winter till mid summer most years the ground is very wet. But dries out toward end of summer. I need to do some work in the area and see what I can figure out.
I need to rewatch your videos too Neb

Latest posts

Back