Unusual bread recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm looking for bread recipes that go beyond the usual white flour/wheat flour.
Making bread that is mostly white flour or wheat will make me sick every time I eat it.
It could be a gluten sensitivity but I'm not sure. Others have told me just eating wheat flour in a bread you've made yourself is enough to make a person sick. lol
@CrackbottomLouis favored us with info on his Einkorn flour experiment. I'm interested in more stuff like that. I use a bread machine but we are also able to do it by hand.
Any suggestions on any good bread recipes you've tried successfully, please post it.
Thx.

Many people who were sensitive to anything made with white or wheat flour have found that sourdough bread made with organic flours produced no gluten sensitivity type symptoms. I personally know several people who experienced this. They previously thought they were gluten sensitive but they found that they can enjoy organic sourdough products with no ill effects.

I suspect that they could be sensitive to phytic acids (which is neutralized during the long rising time in making sourdough bread). Or their symptoms could be a sensitivity to chemical agents used in growing non-organic wheat rather than intolerance to glutens. (These ideas are not new, and have been tossed around in the news lately.)

There is a reason why all of a sudden, thousands of people can no longer enjoy wheat products like they could in past decades. Gluten-free is the trend these days, and I think much of the blame could be placed on agricultural chemicals that are now used on wheat crops.

Thx, I appreciate everything you posted and it all sounds right to me.
I've been thinking about sourdough but had no idea others who are sensitive had success with it. I've never made sourdough bread and it used to be fairly popular, sharing the start, or whatever it is called.
I recently bought organic wheat flour and wanted to use ground flax seed and other unusual ingredients out of desperation.
Thx, I will have to give that a try and report back. ;)

If you'd like to give sourdough bread making a whirl, this site will steer you in the right direction. I have bought all kinds of cultures and starters from them and can recommend them highly! I love how they explain everything so well, that even I can do it!

Some folks don't care for a tangy sourdough flavor (I adore it), but flavors can be easily changed with a few adjustments in the process, rising times, etc.

I suspect that they could be sensitive to phytic acids (which is neutralized during the long rising time in making sourdough bread). Or their symptoms could be a sensitivity to chemical agents used in growing non-organic wheat rather than intolerance to glutens. (These ideas are not new, and have been tossed around in the news lately.)

I think you and others are on to something... just spent the last half hour net searching. ;) I never connected the dots before tonight but it might be GMO related. Gmo seeds go hand and hand with "roundup" based weed killers for commercial crop production these days... corn, wheat, soybeans etc. Maybe more than one fox in the hen house? :rolleyes:

No-til is now the basis for modern commercial crop production. The soil is not tilled, seed drills are used for planting. Roundup based genetic weed killers saturate the soils.

One problem for me though... I hate sourdough, with a passion... ;)

Last edited:
There is another way 'round the sourdough effect: soak the phytic acids right out of the grain before grinding to a flour. I am lazy and buy organic "sprouted wheat flour" which has had the phytic acids soaked out in the process of sprouting. (from https://www.azurestandard.com/ I am so happy there is a co-op drop near me!)

I make bread, tortillas, etc. with this flour, too.

Awww, now that is a high honor, especially coming from you! Feelings are very mutual.

That "can't" saying that your grandfather used to say? It is funny how I have heard that very same saying from my own grandfather. Hmmm....he happens to be the same grandfather that also bears the same last name as yours... I do believe we are related somehow.

If you'd like to give sourdough bread making a whirl, this site will steer you in the right direction. I have bought all kinds of cultures and starters from them and can recommend them highly! I love how they explain everything so well, that even I can do it!

Some folks don't care for a tangy sourdough flavor (I adore it), but flavors can be easily changed with a few adjustments in the process, rising times, etc.

Sheesh!!! All that jabbering about the wonderful website, and I plumb forgot to include a link to it:

https://www.culturesforhealth.com

There is another way 'round the sourdough effect: soak the phytic acids right out of the grain before grinding to a flour. I am lazy and buy organic "sprouted wheat flour" which has had the phytic acids soaked out in the process of sprouting. (from https://www.azurestandard.com/ I am so happy there is a co-op drop near me!)

I make bread, tortillas, etc. with this flour, too.
this looks like a really good source also, @Grizzleyette___Adams THX

My friend told me today she made jalopeno cornbread because her whole family loves it.
We use to make cracklin cornbread.
When I had a chuck wagon biz I made real meals Mondays and Wednesdays. Those guys loved mt cracklin cornbread, beans, potato salad and coleslaw with country fried steak put through the meat tenderrizer twice.
When I told them I was no longer catering they actually tried to give me money to stay open but I was tired of the 3 am cooking, and cleaning. I had 100 biscuits a day for breakfast and 100 burgers ,chips and sub sandwiches. All kinds of drinks and had to rent ice maker for all the ice we used. I kept the food steaming hot with sterno's and hot cooler.
I put a window on side of my van and when I put another window on other side one of the guys gave us all a good laugh when he said " no waiting on aisle two".

I'm looking for bread recipes that go beyond the usual white flour/wheat flour.
Making bread that is mostly white flour or wheat will make me sick every time I eat it.
It could be a gluten sensitivity but I'm not sure. Others have told me just eating wheat flour in a bread you've made yourself is enough to make a person sick. lol
@CrackbottomLouis favored us with info on his Einkorn flour experiment. I'm interested in more stuff like that. I use a bread machine but we are also able to do it by hand.
Any suggestions on any good bread recipes you've tried successfully, please post it.
Thx.

Some people use almond flour. Also I bought some flour from King Authur through mail. It was so good I later ordered 25 lb.s in 5 lb.s bags. I got mostly self rising and making biscuits and pancakes with it no after taste at all. A couple bags of plain for baking. Store bought always had a metalic ' spl ' like after taste.
Patch, could it be the flour?

Last edited:
My friend told me today she made jalopeno cornbread because her whole family loves it.
We use to make cracklin cornbread.
When I had a chuck wagon biz I made real meals Mondays and Wednesdays. Those guys loved mt cracklin cornbread, beans, potato salad and coleslaw with country fried steak put through the meat tenderrizer twice.
When I told them I was no longer catering they actually tried to give me money to stay open but I was tired of the 3 am cooking, and cleaning. I had 100 biscuits a day for breakfast and 100 burgers ,chips and sub sandwiches. All kinds of drinks and had to rent ice maker for all the ice we used. I kept the food steaming hot with sterno's and hot cooler.
I put a window on side of my van and when I put another window on other side one of the guys gave us all a good laugh when he said " no waiting on aisle two".
I have a cookbook with 200 cornbread recipes, one calls for a can of cream corn.

I thought about buying some organic beans to can and found this site,never ordered from them though. Have you heard anything about them?

I noticed they had all kinds of flour too.

http://www.sunorganicfarm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BEA

Not sure where you are from but there is a few companies out there that carry their own organic beams or they tell you the source. Frankferd farms and Azure. As far as I know they dont hsip but they have drop offs everywhere. I have purchased 25/50 lbs of beans and such at a time and canned them.

NH made us a loaf of bread.
Did I already mention this?
He used the organic flour, added no gluten, no other white or wheat flour.
He did add ground flax, cut oats, water, oil, honey, little bit of salt, yeast.

It's delicious, not dense, and it did not make me sick.
:clapping:

That's wonderful!!!

Not sure where you are from but there is a few companies out there that carry their own organic beams or they tell you the source. Frankferd farms and Azure. As far as I know they dont hsip but they have drop offs everywhere. I have purchased 25/50 lbs of beans and such at a time and canned them.

Thanks Lilmisst. We usually buy ours at WalMart and although they taste ok we don't like to use them but only one we know who sells beans in bulk.

Really, unless you grow the parent plant, then the seeds yourself, how would you Know for sure , that the corn or any vegetables are organic.
If you going to believe someone, why not just eat the common produce at the market?

Latest posts

Back