Updated plant hardiness zone map just released

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Apparently the one we've all been using was over a decade old. The USDA has just released an updated version. The map is pretty nicely done and easy to use.

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/
According to this, I am 3a where I thought i was 3b. Lots of variation around my place going from 2a to 4b in just a handful of miles probably due to the extreme differences in elevation. None of the old maps I’ve seen had this level of detail.

What zone are you and did it change any?

Great detail in the new map, especially when I zoom in. I’m in 8a but hunt plants in both 8a and 8b zones. Locally, the details in the map show some river valleys in 8b color but the ridges beside them are 8a color. A change in elevation of only 2/300ft. Yep, I like the new map!

I think the map is the result of greater, more accurate weather reporting over the last decade. Local tv stations have viewers reporting weather data constantly. All this data gets passed to the national weather service, then to map makers. They have better data sets to work from.

Locally, the details in the map show some river valleys in 8b color but the ridges beside them are 8a color. A change in elevation of only 2/300ft.

I wanted to point out this can be deceptive. River valleys in 8b, and the ridges in 8a. But... we grew peaches here on top a ridge in zone 8a, we'd have frost damage 1 out of 4 years. Yet in nearby valleys, zone 8b, they'd get frost damage 1 out of every 3 years. So how do peaches get more damage in 8b and less damage in 8a which is slightly colder?

Simple, warm air rises and cold air sinks. Late at night the cooler air on the ridges sink into the valleys and the a warmer air flows up to the ridge tops. So we'd get less frost damage in zone 8a than peaches a mile away in zone 8b.

Apparently the one we've all been using was over a decade old. The USDA has just released an updated version. The map is pretty nicely done and easy to use.

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/
According to this, I am 3a where I thought i was 3b. Lots of variation around my place going from 2a to 4b in just a handful of miles probably due to the extreme differences in elevation. None of the old maps I’ve seen had this level of detail.

What zone are you and did it change any?
thanks for posting that! ours went from 5 b to 6a , I guess that is an improvement

We are still on the border of 7A and 7B. And I agree with Peanut. valleys and ridges can be totally different just miles apart
Microclimates!! Even here, Patchouli is in town, I am in a river valley....10° difference a lot, or more! Just on our place, I have SIX thermometers, five rain guages, they all differ!

Nice interface, real easy to use.
GA300_HS.png

Latest posts

Back