Urban Escape and Evasion

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Here is the fall class schedule of OnPoint Tactical. They are offering an Urban Escape and Evasion class for civilians at various cities. OnPoint Tactical – Scout, tracker and wilderness survival skills

I've taken the class and highly recommend it. Here is the flyer, below are excerpts from previous posts I've made about the class.

On Point 01.jpg

Kevin Reeve of onPointtactical is a man with a lot of skills. He teaches advanced SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape) to special forces groups. He has a few classes open to civilians. These guys are professionals.

I had the opportunity to take his class, Urban Escape and Evasion in Atlanta.

The basic premise for the class – if you are traveling on business and get kidnapped, what do you do? If illegally restrained regardless the situation how do you cope?

This class is basic SERE training toned down for civilians. I was taught how to escape various restraints including duct tape, metal and flex cuffs. I was taught how to evade recapture, move unnoticed in an urban environment day or night, acquire food, water, transportation. How to be a Greyman! These are must know skills for a shtf situation or even a night out in the city.

I had 2-12 hour days of class room training. It was followed by a day long field exercise.
--------------------

The third day of class began at 8am: The basic scenario was that civil unrest has erupted in Atlanta. Factions carve up territory battling each other and legitimate authority. A few random individuals are thrown together by chance after being captured by a faction.

We were hooded, cuffed, roughed up, tased repeatedly while being interrogated (literally). This will get your blood pumping. This was actually part of the training. Under stress with adrenaline and high heart rate our extremities began to lose dexterity. Our body naturally redirects blood flow, tunnel vision occurs. We were taught a simple a breathing technique to control this, slow, deep breaths. Oxygen counteracts the affects of adrenaline.

Our captors left us alone for a few minutes and made our escape. Using the skills we had learned we picked the locks on our handcuffs, freed ourselves and each other. By prearrangement we were teamed in pairs, 6 teams of 2. After escape we scattered into the “zone”.

There were 4 teams of trackers trying to recapture us, all retired or ex-military who specialized in these type of operations in their careers and continue as private contractors..

---------------------------

The previous evening we were allowed to cache water or a few other items we thought we might need in the operation area. We used our training when picking locations. How do you hide items in plain sight in a major city around 100’s of homeless?

I found a small “pay by the day” parking lot beside an abandoned building. Its windows had bars, some panes were broken. I folded a piece of cardboard I found laying on the ground, stuffed it behind the bars over a broken pane. Inside the cardboard “envelope” I put a bottle of water, energy bars and a knife. It was still there when I retrieved it the next day. It just looked like cardboard over a broken window.

////////////////////////

The teams had 12 tasks to complete by 4pm then rendezvous at the "Hard Rock Cafe". Each task was designed to test a newly acquired skill or technique. As we completed a task we'd find instructions for the next task, sometimes several tasks. We were required to find a day and a nighttime hideout. We had to improvise weapons and disguises, obtain help from total strangers like the use of a phone and cash. Pick a padlock that had been left on a chain and turn it in at the end of the day as proof.

We had to find a working payphone and check in, even find a car suitable for theft! We didn't actually steal cars but find one that was easy pickin's and take a photo (certain brands/models/year).

We did all this over a large area of downtown Atlanta. There were tourists, construction, government buildings and police, businesses and 100's of homeless people, all of whom were unaware of what we were doing. Talk about a HOOT!
-----------------------------------------

Dozens of bizarre and funny things happened to the teams, real danger too, more than a few close calls. As I have a CCP I had the option of carrying a pistol during the exercise, it was recommended. Because of the extra weight and access to buildings I choose not to but did have several knives.

4 teams were recaptured (then released to complete the tasks). The fifth team wasn’t captured but were identified and photographed by the trackers. The last team, (me and my partner) were never spotted. When moving he and I used a leap frog technique by a prearranged number of city blocks and opposite sides of streets.
------------------

The second key to this is stress, stunguns are no fun. The threat of being recaptured and interrogated again is extremely motivating. The downtown of a major city has its own very real dangers when traveling on foot out of normal pathways. Many folks are nervous waiting at a bus stop in certain areas. Extend this threat over several miles. It’s definitely a wakeup!

Another key is the time element. We were out in the streets over 7 hours. We got tired, thirsty and hungry. There was no normal place to stop and rest while being hunted.

Also, I went into this recovering from a serious injury. I almost backed out of the field exercise, thought it’d be a distraction. It actually added to the experience. I now know what it’s like to be hunted for miles while in pain!
------------------------------------

This class gives the average person a large set of new tools to use in civil unrest or chaotic situations. Again, I highly recommend it!

Latest posts

Back