Urban survival gear you may not have thought about

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
http://planandprepared.com/2019/12/03/urban-survival-gear-you-may-not-have-thought-about/

Urban survival gear you may not have thought about

Published December 3, 2019 | By James L

In 2017, around 80% of Americans lived in that they described as “urban or suburban” areas. Suffice it to say, there is a 4 out of 5 chance that if you are reading this and live in the US, you are one of those people.

Hopefully you have gear and supplies set back to help you survive in these environment should a big SHTF event happen. You most likely have food, water, blankets, etc set back for times of trouble. Most preppers do. But it is sometimes too easy to overlook some small piece of gear or equipment which could prove to be invaluable in times of chaos and disaster.

So here are 9 urban survival items that could have easily been overlooked when prepping.

And even if you are one of those 20% that live in a rural area, many of these items could be very handy to you as well. So even if you live out in “the sticks”, I would encourage you to read on!

USB Drive
Let me start off by saying that you should have ALL of your important documents (or at least copies of them) someplace safe in your house. These documents can include (but are not limited to):

• Contact phone numbers and addresses of friends, family, and other contacts such as your family doctor, insurance company, etc.
  • Area maps
  • Birth, death, and marriage certificates. Driver’s license and passports/visas. Military documents such as DD-214
  • Licenses for work, etc. I’d include things like ham radio license, etc
  • Bank information including account number, password etc
  • Title to your home(s) and car(s)
  • Insurance cards ie. health, home owners, auto, etc
  • Previous tax returns
  • Medical history, immunization records and list of medications.
But carrying hard copies of all of this can be a pain in the ass. Fortunately, you can get a little USB thumb drive to store all of this important documentation on. You can get one that fits easily on your key chain. So if you need this documentation and are away from home, it can be easy to get. That is also true if a criminal gets his hands on your thumb drive. So be sure to protect/encrypt that data.

Water key
Water is one of the most important elements you will need in a survival situation. And in an urban environment during a prolonged grid down event, that may not always be easy to come by. A 4 Way Sillcock Water Key will allow you to access water faucets outside of industrial and public buildings. In the first few days of a really bad situation, you could still find water in these outdoor hydrants. Having a key to unlock them could be invaluable.

Building water faucet

For more on survival water storage/purification, please check out these links:

Sharpie/Write in the Rain Pad
You never know when you might have to jot something down, take quick field notes, or even leave a message for other people during times of emergency. Having writing utensils AND all weather notebooks is something you should seriously consider. In my bag I have both a sharpie marker and a carpenter pencil. In addition, I love these little Rite in the Rain notepad. I have used these before.

A year or so ago I wrote out a note on a piece of paper and stuck it in my pocket. I later forgot and left the Rite in the Rain paper in my pocket before tossing my pants into the washing machine. Despite the wash, the paper held up just fine.

Respirator Mask
Look no further than the events of 9/11 to understand why a respirator mask could be a lifesaver. Thousands of survivors and first responders now have cancer linked to the 9/11 dust and toxic chemicals that were in the air that day. For potentially hazardous conditions, I have a 3M Particulate Respirator 8233, N100 mask. It will filter out almost all particles in the air. It WON’T filter out a lot of chemicals or toxins. But it is certainly better than just a bandanna.

Dust and chemicals from 9/11

For truly strong filters, you might look at the 3M Rugged Comfort Quick Latch Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator with a filter like this one. This is certainly something to consider having in a Go bag etc if you stay in large metropolitan areas.

Safety Goggles
Eye protection can be vitally important in many survival situations. Dust, debris, and other dangers can be a real hazard to your eyes. I have extra pairs of sunglasses in every vehicle I drive. And while sunglasses can offer some direct protection, I also have to consider things like airborne dust and particles. With enough of it in the air, my sunglasses could become useless.

In addition, what do you do in these same conditions at night? Low light situations make wearing sunglasses a distinct drawback. So having clear goggles like these can be a lifesaver. Foam lined with an elastic head strap ensures that they fit snug and help protect against dust and other hazards in the air. Fog resistant lenses help to keep things visible in all weather conditions.

Duct Tape
If you don’t have some of this in your Get Home bag/car kit, I’d suggest you get some in there pronto! Duct tape has so many uses it is crazy! And that is in addition to being a universal repair kit! The uses of duct tape are so numerous I didn’t want to try and list them all here.

Below is a video from my friend Scootch on many of the great survival uses of duct tape!

Trauma kit
I’ll be the first to admit that when I began prepping, I purchased a $25 first aid kit at Wal-Mart and figured I was good to go. That’s great for paper cuts and bee stings. But for true disasters and major emergencies, that won’t be nearly enough. You will need a trauma kit. I also STRONGLY recommend taking first aid and life saving skills classes and workshops! Click this link to find first aid classes in your area.

You should be collecting things like a Cat tourniquet, Israeli bandage, Halo chest seal, etc. These and other trauma supplies could be the difference between survival versus bleeding to death!

For your personal trauma kit, click here

When it comes to tourniquets, I recommend the Cat tourniquet. I carry 2 on my tactical vest at work. They don’t expire and can quickly stop things like arterial bleeds. Israeli bandage is a tremendous compression bandage, while Halo chest seal is great for things like gun shot wounds or stab wounds.

Some items that I would look for to add to a trauma kit include:

• Cat tourniquet
  • Compression bandage
  • Chest seal
  • Trauma shears – great for cutting the toughest material WITHOUT risk of cutting the patient
  • Latex gloves (there are alternatives if you are allergic to latex)
  • Nasopharyngeal airway, 28 French – Great for opening airways
  • Gauze pads, 4” x 4” (6x)
  • Moleskin
  • Silk medical tape
  • Tweezers
  • Iodine
  • Mylar Survival Blanket
  • Alcohol Preps
TOPVISION Portable Car Power Pack

This list is by no means complete. Instead consider it a jumping off point. As I said before, taking some lifesaving classes in addition to purchasing these items will go A LONG way in help you be prepared for medical emergencies.

Powerkit/jump starter
Should the grid go down, you could find yourself in a bind with no power. But a handy little charger can quickly charge all sorts of electrical equipment. The one listed here can also jump start vehicles, be they yours or one you find abandoned in a truly terrible SHTF event. Pair that with a solar panel like this one from Goal Zero and you could recharge your electric gear/tools for months or even years!

I use an Anker 13000 and the Goal Zero solar panel as part of my emergency power plan. (I keep them in my Get home bag.) The TOPVISION 2200A Peak 20800mAh Portable Car Power Pack that I mentioned above is on my wish list!

Small pry bar/Crowbar
Let me preface this by saying that I am NOT advocating any sort of criminal activity like looting! But when someone mentions having a crowbar or prybar, I’m sure some folks think about ways to break into buildings to try and scavenge for much needed supplies. And that could very well be true. In a truly terrible SHTF scenario, you could find yourself doing just that.

But equally important is the ability to get OUT of certain locations. A heavy tool that can open stuck doors and windows could prove invaluable. It can also be used to chop through walls, jimmy/break locks, as well as a bunch of other tasks. This item makes a great escape tool during a difficult bug-out event. A large set of bolt cutters is also something to think about.

The one pictured above was issued to me via my sheriff’s office. But you can find a decent on like this one online.

This is a very good list. My trauma kit may leave a little to be desired, but I have everything else. Nice to see them mention the Sillcock Key. IMHO that is one of the most forgotten items.

Unfortunately, I'm really suburban these days (as of about 4 years ago) - leaning more to the urban side than the rural. I'm in fairly good shape regarding meds, comms, and firearms/ammo. Good with water, but still have some work to do with food - my storage is adequate, but need to work on renewable sources. But, then again, you can never have enough bullets and beans.

My biggest challenge has been changing my mindset and approach to better fit urban scenarios.

Latest posts

Back