Useful equipment for food storage preparedness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This has been on my mind lately, especially since I am going through cabinets, closets, etc. and trying to improve organization and availability of what I do store. I see this as twofold: what we use to store food, and what equipment we have to process food. It could be more than that.

Oxygen Absorbers: These are commonly used by people who are putting food up for storage. These can be added to any container of food. Sugar and salt are two things that you do not want to add them to, because they will create rock hard food.

Vacuum Sealers: These can be used to seal up food in specially made plastic and mylar bags. They can be used with a special attachement, to seal up jars of food, at the same time removing air. It is not a replacement for wet canning, but works well for canning dry goods.

Glass Jars: Glass jars are basic and ubiquitous, aren't they? A newbie to food storage can use an old pickle jar. I have canning jars that I have purchased new, at garage sales, thrift stores and found for free on Craigslist and other places.

Plastic buckets: The heavy duty 5 gallon buckets can hold about 25 pounds of beans, rice, wheat and more. There are buckets that are 2, 3, 5, and 6 gallon sizes. Some bakeries will give or sell their buckets for a dollar or two. I have ordered from Emergency Essentials and purchased food grade buckets from Home Depot and Lowes. Food grade and clean is very important.

A good sealing lid is important for your buckets (and all food containers). I prefer using gamma seal lids so that I can easily access food and close it back up. I have some buckets that have lids that need to be pried off. I used to have a metal lid remover that broke in the process. It was decades old when it broke, so that tells you how difficult it is to open up a well sealed lid. Gamma seal lids are maybe around $10 now. I haven't purchased any in a while, but saw some online for around that price. It is an investment.

Soda bottles: In the beginning of my food storage, I saw many people talking about using large soda bottles for storing rice and beans and other food. I understand that the plastic is thin enough to allow slow air passage, compromising the ability to protect it.

I have no food in soda bottles and never did. I started with some glass jars and plastic buckets. When you have been working on food storage for a while, you improve what you have and do. You learn from what worked and what didn't work.

Yea I don't use the soda bottles either. I have some foodsaver canisters that I came across at the goodwill. I only paid at most $2 for the larger ones and only .59- $1 for the other sizes. I have about 15 of them now. They're made of a heavier plastic and work great.
I don't think I could do storage without the foodsaver. Its a great appliance. Love it.
I use the gamma seals but only after I opened the bucket the first time, otherwise I use the lids that come with the buckets.
Mason jars are a major part of my storage

I need to add to my lts from EE and HVille. I have a good bit but I keep coming across the term " solar minimum" and crop failures because of it. I could grow greens to supplement the lts but wheat would be a big loss if it can't be grown or be priced out of range

I have a good bit but I keep coming across the term " solar minimum" and crop failures because of it

I watch a couple of you tube channel about it. I haven't made up my mind on it yet but I think it is a better explanation than man made global warming. Especiall when you see the same patterns happening on the other planets.

Pressure canner, large pot for water bath canning, jar tongs, and cooling racks. I like the Tattler lids so I will never run out but I keep the metal lids for gifting because I learned a long time ago that you never get your jars back. I even gave my mother a jar with a Tattler on it and she threw away the gasket.

I watch a couple of you tube channel about it. I haven't made up my mind on it yet but I think it is a better explanation than man made global warming. Especiall when you see the same patterns happening on the other planets.

Yea well "man" can't control the sun. I'm guessing I'm going to have to start to look into it more.

Pressure canner, large pot for water bath canning, jar tongs, and cooling racks. I like the Tattler lids so I will never run out but I keep the metal lids for gifting because I learned a long time ago that you never get your jars back. I even gave my mother a jar with a Tattler on it and she threw away the gasket.

Hope you bought extra gaskets lol

I have all that too

And I have an Excalibur and a Harvester dehydrators. I also have extra screens and trays for the harvester.
Many years ago a lady who I knew through another message board said she used the gallon size storage/freezer bags opened all the way up in her Excalibur as a substitute for the silicone sheets that it uses for wet things like drying spaghetti sauce and such

Global warming is not about the environment, it is about population control. In the past they would burn witches or sacrifice virgins to the volcano god.

You got that right, Caribou.
Food storage equipment I use: All American pressure canner (no gasket), a number of water bath canners, lots of jars, lids, canning funnels and all that jazz. Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator that I use a lot. Mason jars, mylar bags and foodsaver. 2 gallon ziplock bags to put over cracker and cereal boxes I the 1 year pantry storage area.
Water storage: empty milk and water jugs, a number of blue 55 gallon barrels. Manual tools: a good scale, hand crank kitchenaid with attachments, hand crank meat grinder, wheat grinder (although I am requesting a wondermill for my birthday), tomato mill, hand crank food processor, potato/fruit ricer, hand mashers. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Yep. The Amish take out all the electric parts and add a hand crank. Write to them for a free catalog: Rolling Acres Housewares 31640 State Road 643 Fresno, OH 43824
It only comes in white, or it would be too fancy English. Ha.
They have a lot of great things in their catalog. Prices are good.

Yep. The Amish take out all the electric parts and add a hand crank. Write to them for a free catalog: Rolling Acres Housewares 31640 State Road 643 Fresno, OH 43824
It only comes in white, or it would be too fancy English. Ha.
They have a lot of great things in their catalog. Prices are good.

That's different from the one I found. I'll have to get that catalog.

Look up veggie mandolines. There are bunch of different configurations now.

https://www.amazon.com/Mandolines-Slicers-Graters-Peelers/b?node=289783
There are a ton of mandolin slicers on Amazon but the only one I found that was wide and had two blades was the one I posted. I don't remember where I got mine but they are out there.

OOPS! Sorry, I just remembered that I keep mine in the box it was shipped in so I went out and found it. Mine is the stainless with three blades but the wooden ones work just as well. Made in America. they have a ton of other good stuff on other pages.

https://www.sausagemaker.com/cabbage-shredders-s/2070.htm

I have been threatening to make a solar dehydrator but so far I haven't gotten around to it yet.
dehydrator.jpg
soldryer.jpg

Lots of good information in here. We have several of the items mentioned, including some hand powered tools. Our Excaliber dehydrator gets the most work. Making a solar oven and dehyrator is on my list of projects to do.

I haven't tried it out yet, but I picked up a brake bleeder to vacuum seal glass jars.

Lots of great information here.
Water bath canner, funnels, tongs, lid wand.
American round dehydrator,lots of jars, flats, rings, food saver with various sizes bags, jars.
Pressure cooker/canner, but nothing like the set up you all have.
manual potato masher, ricer, tomato food press, kitchen scale

Last edited:
I was givin a vaccume sealer but Ive never used it yet. I enjoy canning and plan on buying a electric oven and putting together a canning station in my shop this year. I keep saying im going to do this but other priorities keep me not spending on this..this year Im doing it!
I love the food grade buckets with gamma seal lids. or just lids with rubber seals and o2 absorbers .
I like to buy the steel trash cans for grain storage. rodents cant chew into them and they are made in America!

I have that scale. Works well. Helpful when canning
I didn't realize that a scale like that was so inexpensive. I will get one for myself. I have a digital one that I bought at a yard sale.

A while ago, I saw that the old cast iron meat grinders (Universal is one brand name) sometimes had a variety of blades that came with them, including one for grinding grains. Most came with just one or three blades, meant for processing meats. I just searched Ebay and didn't find one that said it had multiple blades including one for grinding grains. It doesn't mean there isn't one there. I just didn't search deep and they have many there. I have seen them in the past.

This is another experiment I need to try, using my grandfather's meat grinder to grind some wheat, rice, beans and other dry foods that could be used as flour.

I bought my grinder at Sportsmens Supply. I use it for grinding meat. It has a sausage filling attachment on it for when I make bratwurst in casings.
My handcrank kitchen aid has a meat grinder attachment to it, too.
A wondermill for whole corn and whole wheat is on my wishlist. I do have a grain mill handgrinder, and a wondermill is electric, but no problem running it with a battery and inverter.

I bought my grinder at Sportsmens Supply. I use it for grinding meat. It has a sausage filling attachment on it for when I make bratwurst in casings.
My handcrank kitchen aid has a meat grinder attachment to it, too.
A wondermill for whole corn and whole wheat is on my wishlist. I do have a grain mill handgrinder, and a wondermill is electric, but no problem running it with a battery and inverter.
Where do you purchase casings for sausage? I would think having a stash of them would be a wise idea.

Where do you purchase casings for sausage? I would think having a stash of them would be a wise idea.
On post #17 I have a link and casings is only one of the many things that they have for sausage making, as well as kraut supplies, etc.

Latest posts

Back