Uses for wild onion grass ?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely love the smell of wild onion grass and it's finally starting to come up around my house . I was wondering if there is any actual use for it ?

http://www.eattheweeds.com/allium-canadense-the-stinking-rose-2/

Yes, it is edible. This website has great info on 100's edible plants. I know the guy... he knows what he's talking about. He has a forum as well. :) I leaned a few thousand species of edible and medicinal plants while a member of the forum.

I absolutely love the smell of wild onion grass and it's finally starting to come up around my house . I was wondering if there is any actual use for it ?
Post a pic, Jessica. If it's what I think it is, I can tell you how to use it. We have wild onions here in Okla. They smell like garlic. They are a nuisance, but the are wonderful in scrambled eggs and any dish that calls for onions.

There is an expression in the plant world “There are no look a likes”. Which is true, when you look closely enough. This is where experience comes in. To the inexperienced Water Hemlock and Hairy Angelica are the same plant. I know, for a year I thought they were the same plant. A year later with more experience I could see they were different. Now I can see the differences between them at 60mph while driving.

They are cousins, one will give you a very painful death, the other will give your libido a powerful kick start… ;)

There is an expression in the plant world “There are no look a likes”. Which is true, when you look closely enough. This is where experience comes in. To the inexperienced Water Hemlock and Hairy Angelica are the same plant. I know, for a year I thought they were the same plant. A year later with more experience I could see they were different. Now I can see the differences between them at 60mph while driving.

They are cousins, one will give you a very painful death, the other will give your libido a powerful kick start… ;)
Do you have a picture of the two plants that are toxic? I want to see if they are the ones I'm thinking about.

Peanut those little flowers grow all over the place here. I know the difference between the wild garlic, but I didn't know that the little lilies where toxic. I'm pretty careful what I put in my mouth unless I'm sure what it is.

I dunno if there is. I know that when our family milk cow got into them or Bitterweed the milk was undrinkable! Terrible smell and taste. The pigs sure liked it though.

Which is which, lol!

My grandmother used to send us out to the yard to pick the onion grass to go with dinner. Onions was the only thing she didn't grow in her garden. The neighbor HATED her dandelions.

I've used the little onions from these to season soup and chili many times. It doesn't take a lot of them.
Side story: My dad told me that when he was little, sometimes the milk would taste like onions because the milk cows would eat these. Something to think about if raising milk cows.

Latest posts

Back