Using Petroleum Jelly Cotton Balls as a Fire Starter

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flight

I just me.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was doing some research on using petroleum jell cotton balls for my get home bag and come across this web site http://www.ramblinjim.com/articles/using-vaseline-cotton-balls-as-a-fire-starter/
I was wondering if any one of you have done this before? I do have a few questions about it,
1 Is it a good way to start a fire?
2 Is it safe to transport around?
3 Is it easy to ignite?
4 Will it last a long time in storage?
5 What kind of storage? type of container?
6 what ever you guys can ask as a question lol.

I tried it once when I first heard about it and it actually worked pretty well. That's where my assistance in answering your questions comes to an end. I now make fire starter kits out of 'chain saw dust' and dryer lint and then vacuum seal them in small pouches.

I have used these as a fire starter for over 30 years. It works very well and weather has no affect on it. Film canisters make good containers to keep them in. I've also found the stuffing them in a large diameter straw cut in 1/2 or 1/3 and folding the ends over after the cotton is inside, then sliding another section of straw over it makes a nice one time use item. No mess, just pull one out, cut a slit in it and pull out some of the cotton and light it up. I keep several of them in a small ziplock or a altoids type tin and a firesteel.
I've never had any issues with safety, sealed up they should last for many years if not forever.

So does dryer lint ignite well?
A lot of people swear by it but I have never been able to get it to work. The petroleum jelly, cotton balls work well, bust be sure they are real cotton, some of the synthetics dont burn as well I am told

I now make fire starter kits out of 'chain saw dust' and dryer lint and then vacuum seal them in small pouches.

I tested them out long ago. Like Sentry18 I now make little single fire “kits” vacuum sealed in foil. I don’t use sawdust though. I use lighter pine, some people call it fatwood. It’s everywhere in the woods around here…

There is a huge stump of it down in the bottoms. I can’t get a tractor close enough to drag it out.

Fatwood.jpg

They work well as long as the outside is coated with petroleum jelly and the inside is dry cotton. Don't use anything but pure cotton balls. The synthetic fibers used in most makeup remover balls will not burn easily. Any brand of petroleum jelly will work. If they are waterproof you may have some trouble lighting them with a spark but a match will work fine. They are safe and they don't spontaneously burst into flame. It is like a candle in that respect. It is not magical but it does work. The flame is not real hot so if you have to use damp wood they are not always successful. I use other things for fire starters but the cotton balls work very well in most conditions.

I keep some cotton balls soaked in Vaseline stuff in an old aspirin bottle that lives in my 72-hour pack. Great little fire starters, lightweight, and don't take up much room. Compliments my three fire starting tools (waterproof matches stored in another aspirin bottle, bic lighter, and mag stick + knife). I've tried 'em out and they work well, even in rain and snow.

Latest posts

Back