Usnea

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Some medicinal plants really stand out after a good rain or while it’s still raining. Usnea is one of those (use-knee-ah). This morning it was all over my yard. I have several large water oaks (Quercus nigra) in my yard and Usnea grows on them. I see it on several tree species and old fence posts.

There are 500 or so species of this lichen worldwide. The species I see most often here in Bama is Usnea strigose. It doesn’t matter which species you use, they all work the same.

The key to knowing you’ve found Usnea is inside the little stems. If you stretch the little stems you’ll see it has a tiny white fiber inside it. If the lichen is moist its easy to stretch. If it’s dry it’ll usually break.

There are several plants that look similar, for instance, Spanish moss (Tillandsia usneoides). It grows on trees along the gulf coast but it is not a lichen or Usnea and does not have a tiny white core.

Usnea has been used by native peoples in the northern hemisphere for thousands of years. The chinese wrote about it 2300 years ago. Ever see an old western movie/show where someone says “pack that wound with moss”? It wasn’t a moss people used, it was a lichen named Usnea.

It’s a potent antibiotic and a potent antiviral. In the last few years it’s been known to really help people with Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. I take Usnea tincture every time I get a tick bite as a preventative.

There is a great book on this subject by Stephen Harrod Buhner. I personally know of 2 people this book has helped. My cousin almost died last year from Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. I used the knowledge in this book and Usnea to help him.

A good pic of Usnea strigose

http://www.projectnoah.org/spottings/19307257

The NIH used to have several studies about Usnea being effective against pneumonia on their website. Those disappeared when obummer was elected. Now they say usnea is a liver toxin, go figure! :rolleyes: The chinese have used it at least 2300 years and never had a problem with it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3509606/

This is a good article with general knowledge of usnea and how to use it.

https://www.herbalremediesadvice.org/usnea-herb.html

I make a tincture from Usnea to use. I’ve tasted tea made from it. It’ll curl you nose hair, nasty tasting. Besides, the best chemicals in Usnea aren’t really water soluble. Tincture is the best way to go.

Usnea 18 01_v1.jpg
Usnea 18 02_v1.jpg
Healing Lyme_v1.jpg

We have moss not sure which kind that grows here in N,Fl.
My cousins only child died from Rocky Mnt Spotted. fever ,she was just 3 years old. A tick bit from grass in the city of Atlanta,

I think a couple of my great kids are sick now with flu, so will surely write this down. There mama is pregnant with kid number 4 and she is showing signs too.

Last edited:
The people to trim the powerline right of way that were promised last April finally showed up. They trimmed a big water oak at the edge of the yard.

As it happens that tree is loaded with Usnea. Before they chopped the limbs up I was able to collect enough Usnea for a quart of tincture!

Usnea_v1.jpg

I haven't made usnea tincture since feb2019 in the post above. I've used a lot of it since covid started. I had allowed myself to get very low, about an ounce left. Really dumb, should have got some last summer, knew it but never seemed to have time.

Last week I posted about a new place to hunt medicinal's, land that was being logged. A friend needed usnea so I went hunting.

This kind of tincture is something I’ve seen done but never done solo. It’s a “hot percolation tincture”. This is the recommended method for usnea. The other way takes several months. I always had time before...

I tinctured the usnea with 50% alcohol, 100 proof or better. (Or I could have mixed a custom blend using pure grain alcohol with water and made it any proof I wanted.)

The tincture goes in pint jars, lid on. Then put in a crock pot. Water is added to the pot until it's about a half inch above the liquid level of the tincture. The turned on low heat for about 40hours. I took them out for a good shake several times a day, just like shaking a regular tincture.

Once processed I ended up with just over 6 ounces of excellent tincture. I added it my other tincture then split it with my friend.

We both need to gather more, and a bigger crockpot!

a hot mess b 01.JPG

Last edited:
Oops! Almost forgot. For this kind of tincture the usnea got run through my "Mister Coffee". It's a slow process, I had to keep the blades cool. Hot cutting blades would cause volatile oils to evaporate.

Once chopped to powder (ish), some bits and pieces left. I weighed the plant material to the gram. Then calculated my alcohol/water/usnea ratios by weight.

a hot mess b 02.JPG

I scored a big pan of usnea this week. It all came from an apple tree in a friends yard.

I’m making a hot tincture like the last one. But I'm doing this one in 2 stages. Usnea has polysaccharides that are best extracted by heat and water. It has other properties best extracted with alcohol. (these polysaccharides stimulate our immune system)

First stage, each jar has 40grams of fine chopped usnea and 200grams of filtered water. I put the lids on tightly then each jar will get 48hrs in a crock pot on low.

2nd stage, each jar will have 200grams of pure grain alcohol added. Then they will macerate for 2 weeks in a dark corner somewhere. This 2 weeks allows the alcohol to extract components that best dissolve in alcohol.

Then I'll use cheese cloth to strain out all the plant materiel. Result… the best usnea tincture I’ve made to date.

Usnea 23aug22a.JPG

Usnea 22aug22 03a.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back