Utility vehicle for around the homestead... (road legal would be nice, too)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PopPopT

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I wasn't sure if this was the best category for the question or not but here goes...

We have several acres on our homestead and it's far from level. We have need to move stuff around. Sometimes it's produce being moved. Sometimes it's manure being moved to planting beds. Sometimes it's hauling tools around the place for specific jobs. Sometimes it's to haul water here or there. Sometimes it's just to haul MawMaw and me 'cause we're old and it's a long walk from the lower greenhouse back to the house, uphill.

So last year, we bought a John Deere Gator. I really like it in a lot of ways. But there is one thing that irritates me about it that I can't solve, it is NOT road legal where I live. I could get away with county roads, perhaps, but THE way to get around here is a US highway that cuts right through that pretty much connects me without alternative ways possible, and driving the Gator on a US highway, even though I can keep up with traffic just fine, is a no-no. The state boys like to sit and watch, too, not far from where I live. I've talked to most everybody in this area, including the county clerk (were we get our registrations, titles, etc.), and it is just a no-go.

There are occasions when I would like to have a vehicle I could just get out on the road and go to town in. I'd go in the Gator if I could. When I speak of town, we're about 7 miles from a small town that has a grocery store, a hardware store, a feed store, an auto parts store, and more. It's all of one whole redlights but it can be handy. Major towns that actually have a Walmart are farther, about 20 miles at best, so that would probably be a little far for a Gator. Maybe not for another vehicle. (?)

I find it interesting that someone can ride a 2 wheeled crotch rocket with little more protection than a helmet but the Gator, with seat belts, roll bars, bumpers, somehow that's "unsafe". OK. Doesn't make much sense to me. But whatever, I can't change the law.

So it kinda begs the question as to whether a different vehicle might fit the bill, something that IS road legal, on ALL roads, but yet is small enough to pretty much go anywhere the Gator would go, which is a little bigger than a golf cart. I've heard of "mini trucks" but have also heard some people claim they can be problematic getting road legal as well.

Any suggestions? I could just keep doing what I do and hang on to the Gator for around the place (or to visit the neighbors, nobody cares about the particular road we live on which is a tiny county road) and maintain other vehicles for running to town. I've been doing that. But I did wonder if maybe there would be something more of an "all-in-one".

FWIW, I did have a Ford Ranger for a while. That would work but is a little big for puttering around the homestead. I have a minivan that I sometimes used, but same thing, too big and awkward in some places. I have a tractor, way to cumbersome, and slow. A golf cart I'm kind of afraid wouldn't even be up to the tasks I give the Gator, maybe if we lived on a level place, but it's not level, plus, not street legal, either.

There might not be a good solution. But I figured I'd throw it out there and just see what others might think.

Thanks!

We had an old beater like it at work, but it was totally trashed.

Actually, I don't want anything that nice. It would be a "beater" for the most part. I would like to have something I can keep up the maintenance on such that it would run well, and safely. But pretty, no. It can even be butt ugly. LOL!!

Around here, we use a golf cart for feeding critters and sometimes we will hook up a small utility trailer up to haul things. Just not good if you haven't prevented for muddy roads. We have laid down roads with crushed concrete and then topped with bull rocks. Dry days we can drive out to the big pasture. When it rains, no and will haul out the big cows feed.

I wasn't sure if this was the best category for the question or not but here goes...

We have several acres on our homestead and it's far from level. We have need to move stuff around. Sometimes it's produce being moved. Sometimes it's manure being moved to planting beds. Sometimes it's hauling tools around the place for specific jobs. Sometimes it's to haul water here or there. Sometimes it's just to haul MawMaw and me 'cause we're old and it's a long walk from the lower greenhouse back to the house, uphill.

So last year, we bought a John Deere Gator. I really like it in a lot of ways. But there is one thing that irritates me about it that I can't solve, it is NOT road legal where I live. I could get away with county roads, perhaps, but THE way to get around here is a US highway that cuts right through that pretty much connects me without alternative ways possible, and driving the Gator on a US highway, even though I can keep up with traffic just fine, is a no-no. The state boys like to sit and watch, too, not far from where I live. I've talked to most everybody in this area, including the county clerk (were we get our registrations, titles, etc.), and it is just a no-go.

There are occasions when I would like to have a vehicle I could just get out on the road and go to town in. I'd go in the Gator if I could. When I speak of town, we're about 7 miles from a small town that has a grocery store, a hardware store, a feed store, an auto parts store, and more. It's all of one whole redlights but it can be handy. Major towns that actually have a Walmart are farther, about 20 miles at best, so that would probably be a little far for a Gator. Maybe not for another vehicle. (?)

I find it interesting that someone can ride a 2 wheeled crotch rocket with little more protection than a helmet but the Gator, with seat belts, roll bars, bumpers, somehow that's "unsafe". OK. Doesn't make much sense to me. But whatever, I can't change the law.

So it kinda begs the question as to whether a different vehicle might fit the bill, something that IS road legal, on ALL roads, but yet is small enough to pretty much go anywhere the Gator would go, which is a little bigger than a golf cart. I've heard of "mini trucks" but have also heard some people claim they can be problematic getting road legal as well.

Any suggestions? I could just keep doing what I do and hang on to the Gator for around the place (or to visit the neighbors, nobody cares about the particular road we live on which is a tiny county road) and maintain other vehicles for running to town. I've been doing that. But I did wonder if maybe there would be something more of an "all-in-one".

FWIW, I did have a Ford Ranger for a while. That would work but is a little big for puttering around the homestead. I have a minivan that I sometimes used, but same thing, too big and awkward in some places. I have a tractor, way to cumbersome, and slow. A golf cart I'm kind of afraid wouldn't even be up to the tasks I give the Gator, maybe if we lived on a level place, but it's not level, plus, not street legal, either.

There might not be a good solution. But I figured I'd throw it out there and just see what others might think.

Thanks!
I can not answer your question since you are a step ahead of me. We have decided to get a side by side have not started the work of researching what to purchase.

I have to handle steep hills and ravines. Hauling chain saws and portable generators, and a hitch to haul a trailer. Ability to drag out 18-24" trees to mill and a PTO is a bonus.

Can your gator fill that bill ?

Ben

Around here, we use a golf cart for feeding critters and sometimes we will hook up a small utility trailer up to haul things. Just not good if you haven't prevented for muddy roads. We have laid down roads with crushed concrete and then topped with bull rocks. Dry days we can drive out to the big pasture. When it rains, no and will haul out the big cows feed.
Will say we are on flat land. Did notice another reply. It's hard to remeber the slopes/inclines some have to deal with.

I have to handle steep hills and ravines. Hauling chain saws and portable generators, and a hitch to haul a trailer. Ability to drag out 18-24" trees to mill and a PTO is a bonus.

Can your gator fill that bill ?

To be honest, probably not.

Hauling chain saws and portable generators, no problem. A hitch to haul a trailer, no problem there, either, though the towing capacity isn't huge. (I think mine is only like 1500 pounds. But I have one of the smaller ones, a 590M. They come larger.) I don't know about dragging trees, have never really done that or tried. I'd probably use a tractor for that rather than the Gator here as it's geared much lower and is more substantial in it's drivetrain. It doesn't have a PTO.

That said, I don't know if the Kubota may have some of those features. We looked at one of those as I had thought I wanted one... until we actually sat in it. Then we sat in the John Deer. We bought the John Deer. The Kubota may have been very capable but it was NOT comfortable for either me nor my dear wife. We're getting too old to not be comfortable.

Looks like you want an old Jeep or Scout. Of course that may be cost prohibitive. One thing that might work and still be cheap, if you can find one that's still in running condition, is a little Suzuki Samurai. Isuzu also made something similar, sold by GM under the name Geo Tracker, in the late 80s. I recall them being crude, simple, and underpowered but they had good 4x4 and were road legal, and they were tiny...

Suzuki Samurai. Isuzu also made something similar, sold by GM under the name Geo Tracker, in the late 80s. I recall them being crude, simple, and underpowered but they had good 4x4 and were road legal, and they were tiny...

I've kinda wondered whether one of these might be modified to be more like a "tiny pickup truck" and still maintain something that will satisfy the DMV as being "road worthy". Underpowered I can live with. They do seem to be a bit hard to find but hey, never know. :)

Before you rule out a golf cart you might want to see if they can be driven on the roads where you are they can be legally driven in all 50 states now on SOME roads I believe. You might want to check out this thread How I'm combatting rising fuel prices with solar. The golf cart info is a ways in but I believe still starts on the first page. I have been truly amazed at the things my golf cart does and the places I can go in it now. Easy to get in and out of too.

I am a pickup man myself.
I bought the 2022 Toyota Tacoma, my only problem is the big footprint.
I think it is to make little boys feel like men!
Anyways, I wanted the 1996 size truck, but noooo, they have to add ego into the "SMALL" trucks.
If I needed a truck that was street legal, I get one used.
I have a small Nissan 1996, but it needs a wiring harness or would have been driving it.

I'm with ya on that one! I use the Gator like a tiny "pickup" here on the homestead, I really do. It works VERY well for that. I like the very small footprint and don't really want much larger of a footprint for putzin' around the place.

I had a short cab Ford Ranger 4 cyl 5 speed manual for many years. Loved that little truck and still wish I had it back sometimes. I accumulated too many vehicles at one time and something had to go. I had a very large 5th wheel travel trailer and an F350 crew cab dually so... the Ranger went. (Gave it to a former friend who wanted it and wanted it and wanted it and wanted it so I finally gifted it to him. He trashed it completely within about 2 weeks.)

Still have the F350 but really do not like driving it at all. It's like driving a semi truck everywhere. Just not into that kind of thing. I keep it because we still have the big RV. (Call it a "prep" if ya want. It's nice to have that as a "backup" in case something happens that causes our house to be unlivable.)

I also have a Toyota minivan with a quarter million miles on it that was a really nice vehicle in its day but I doubt I'd get much for it to trade or sell so figure I'll run the wheels off of it. It's being used primarily to take produce to market right now. Does a pretty good job of that though it's packed in pretty tight some weeks.

FWIW, my brother just bought a late model used Tacoma last year. That is one NICE truck. I told him, "take care of it and it'll be the last truck you'll ever need." Probably hard to find one now, at least that isn't the price of a house. He got lucky... though he never did wanna tell me what he actually paid for it. LOL!

I bought the 2022 Toyota Tacoma, my only problem is the big footprint.
I think it is to make little boys feel like men!
Anyways, I wanted the 1996 size truck, but noooo, they have to add ego into the "SMALL" trucks.
If I needed a truck that was street legal, I get one used.
I have a small Nissan 1996, but it needs a wiring harness or would have been driving it.
I bought a 2021 Tacoma SR5 last year. Crew cab, short bed V6. I kind of wish I had gotten the long bed, but it's water under the bridge now. The thing is a tank! I paid $39,600 cash, out the door price and it's worth every penny. Since I hit 10,000 miles, the gas mileage even started going up! I'm averaging 21.7 to 22.7 doing 80 mph on the interstate. I hope I never have to sell the thing...
KIMG0878.JPG

Being an older couple.... We got a Kubota side by side UTV... Nothing fancy.. NOT one of the go fast, bounce high type trail machines that seem popular.. Smaller, lighter, cheaper, 2 person side by side with a cargo box.. It has been a real work saver around the farm... It is also painted camo... It could be licensed to use on the ATV trails near us, but it isn't as it never leaves the farm...

We named it PEPE..... That being the get away vehicle from the old Mike Douglas movie Romancing the Stone...

I bought a 2021 Tacoma SR5 last year. Crew cab, short bed V6. I kind of wish I had gotten the long bed, but it's water under the bridge now. The thing is a tank! I paid $39,600 cash, out the door price and it's worth every penny. Since I hit 10,000 miles, the gas mileage even started going up! I'm averaging 21.7 to 22.7 doing 80 mph on the interstate. I hope I never have to sell the thing...View attachment 93643
I got the low cost one they had , internet said 25,500.00, but by thee time papers were signed it was 29,500.00.
I refused they loan & went with my CU, & no Gap Insurance, the fin. guy said it beat him up, but I was looking for a good deal for me, did not care if he got a bonus or not. So I got a 4 cycle, basic model, runs great down hill & I got it up to 80 a few time, but being retired I am not in a hurry, even if gas was $2.00 a gallon.

Jeep.

Depending how handy you are and how much time you like to dicker with stuff, an M38, M151 or even a 70’s model CJ5, the narrow wheel base ones. Small, excellent maneuverability, go about anywhere, easily modified, parts readily available, easy to work on.

For something a bit larger and maybe more accessible, an 80’s model XJ (Jeep Cherokee). Same as above in stats only a little larger.

For either of these there are a lot of jeeping and Military vehicle forums with 4 sale sections. You can buy project vehicles or finish projects from other folks who just like to take an older one and redo them. I absolutely loved and miss my old 1975 CJ5. Take the doors and top off, windshield down and you can cruise like you are on a bike, wind in your hair. 😊

I had an 89 XJ, manual everything: tranny, windows, doorlocks… Little bugger went absolutely anywhere. I converted into a beach fishing buggy. Had racks and crap hanging all over it, ugly as all get out, but was the perfect tool for taking a weekend to camp/fish in for me and the dog for up to a week. I used to joke with the Hummer boys, told them my XJ would go more places that that Hummer. They would grumble and argue! I would point out I had $375 into mine. I don’t mind if it gets dinged or banged up. I get it stuck, I take the plates off and walk away. Can’t do that with an $80,000 hummer! 😊

For this type of situation you have to consider many things. First being the primary use is off road on property you don't want to damage. Secondary is road driving. The jeep XJ's I've owned were heavy as hell. Less weight is always better when trying not to damage the land.

Just for example my golf cart weighs less than a thousand with myself and a load of odds and ends or a passenger. If I do get it stuck odds are I can get it out pretty easy. As of yet I've not managed to get it stuck since the modifications are mostly complete. I've had it in places that I was surprised I didn't get stuck. Rephrase I am CONSTANTLY in places it should get stuck. I've even gone through water 8 to 12 inches deep a few times.

Last edited:
I think its a 6, it looks a bit like a ranger so it could be.
Mazda has a small truck that they sell everywhere but North America. It looks like a fantastic vehicle and gets high acclaim in the rest of the world. I wish they'd sell it here. Mazdas are some of the best driving and best handling vehicles in existence...

Latest posts

Back