Valentine's Day

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My wife LOVES Valentine's Day. LOVES LOVES LOVES it! She could not care less how it came to be, what other people think about it, if it has become ultra commercial or any other argument against it. She does not care if I spend a ton of money or no money at all, if I lavish her with gifts or just profess my undying love for her. To her Valentine's Day is just one more date on the calendar for us to express how important we are to one another, why we fell in love and why we remain in a committed loving relationship. She is like this all year long but seems to kick it into high gear on Valentine's Day and on our Anniversary (and father's day too). She started this morning and throughout the day by sending me (via text message) a different animated love gif pretty much every hour on the hour. And I am sure that is leading up to something bigger come tomorrow. Every time I have seen her today she has a big smile on her face and she keeps hugging me and giggling (she is not good at poker by the way). The more giddy she is the more work she put into her display of love and affection. And she has been pretty giddy today.

This year I decided to send her a dozen roses with a card that says "I love you more than guns", which is really just a distraction so she thinks that is what I am doing for her. I am much better at poker than she is. I made childcare arrangements with my oldest daughter and her husband, so when she gets home from work I am going to whisk her away for a mini-date night at her favorite restaurant where (unbeknownst to her) our Pastor (the one who married us) will be dining with his wife (who is also one of my wife's best friends) as well. After our appetizer I will be going to the restroom (to put on a shirt, tie and suit coat) and our waitress will be asking her to move over to the separate dining area because of a reservation issue. As my wife is always super super nice, she will gladly give up our table. She will arrive at the doorway and be handed a small veil and a bouquet of flowers. In what is hopefully going to be a well orchestrated maneuver she will then find herself in the middle of a vow renewal ceremony with a Pastor, a maid of honor, several little and not so little bridesmaids / groomsmen, a white runner and a husband in a suit. After we renew our vows, are re-pronounced man & wife, and share a nice kiss; the whole ordeal will turn back into a fun romantic dinner. And I will once again win my wife's heart and remind her that I will never take her or "us" for granted, which is what Valentine's Day is really all about.

My wife LOVES Valentine's Day. LOVES LOVES LOVES it! She could not care less how it came to be, what other people think about it, if it has become ultra commercial or any other argument against it. She does not care if I spend a ton of money or no money at all, if I lavish her with gifts or just profess my undying love for her. To her Valentine's Day is just one more date on the calendar for us to express how important we are to one another, why we fell in love and why we remain in a committed loving relationship. She is like this all year long but seems to kick it into high gear on Valentine's Day and on our Anniversary (and father's day too). She started this morning and throughout the day by sending me (via text message) a different animated love gif pretty much every hour on the hour. And I am sure that is leading up to something bigger come tomorrow. Every time I have seen her today she has a big smile on her face and she keeps hugging me and giggling (she is not good at poker by the way). The more giddy she is the more work she put into her display of love and affection. And she has been pretty giddy today.

This year I decided to send her a dozen roses with a card that says "I love you more than guns", which is really just a distraction so she thinks that is what I am doing for her. I am much better at poker than she is. I made childcare arrangements with my oldest daughter and her husband, so when she gets home from work I am going to whisk her away for a mini-date night at her favorite restaurant where (unbeknownst to her) our Pastor (the one who married us) will be dining with his wife (who is also one of my wife's best friends) as well. After our appetizer I will be going to the restroom (to put on a shirt, tie and suit coat) and our waitress will be asking her to move over to the separate dining area because of a reservation issue. As my wife is always super super nice, she will gladly give up our table. She will arrive at the doorway and be handed a small veil and a bouquet of flowers. In what is hopefully going to be a well orchestrated maneuver she will then find herself in the middle of a vow renewal ceremony with a Pastor, a maid of honor, several little and not so little bridesmaids / groomsmen, a white runner and a husband in a suit. After we renew our vows, are re-pronounced man & wife, and share a nice kiss; the whole ordeal will turn back into a fun romantic dinner. And I will once again win my wife's heart and remind her that I will never take her or "us" for granted, which is what Valentine's Day is really all about.
That is so cool. You're a good man!

Have room for a sister wife?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Sentry that sounds like a wonderful night for you both! Enjoy

My wife to likes Valentines day a huge amount. We had our first date 34 years ago tomorrow. Unfortunately our day will have none of the festivities as usual. We are just hopin to be started on the upswing from the flu.

My wife has never had any use for Valentines Day .... but for all you guys ... get it right because you have 364 days to potentially mess up

@Sentry good for you. May God continue to bless. You renewed our vows on our 20th we had become Christians by then, and on our 35th. It was a planned event though, love the plans you have made

You're a good husband.
I do not want you talking to my wife tho. :)
This year for Valentines day I drove my cousin to The University of Washington hospital for her 2 day doctor appointment.
I'm sitting in a hotel room all alone and will be for the next 2 days.
I did leave candy and a present for the wife.
Nothing romantic.
I bought her what she asked for.
A new vacuum sealer.
We do not buy each other cards.
Neither one of us will spend that much on a card.

After over 27 years, my DH still doesn't know me! He had a chance to get 20 pounds of potatoes for $1.25 at the store today and since his daughter said that would be a bad present, he passed. So he got me nothing. Hard to believe he didn't know I would can anything he brought home! 27.5 years!

After over 27 years, my DH still doesn't know me! He had a chance to get 20 pounds of potatoes for $1.25 at the store today and since his daughter said that would be a bad present, he passed. So he got me nothing. Hard to believe he didn't know I would can anything he brought home! 27.5 years!
This is your opportunity to sit him down and explicitly tell him that the spuds (or similar things) would be a great gift. Sometimes the male gender is a little slow on figuring these things out and need to have it explained (sometimes repeatedly)

For my wife's 30th birthday (some years ago) I bought what I thought (based on my own tastes) was an incredibly romantic gift - 30 dozen roses (360). Now it was a bit of a splurge (although I got them for far less than retail) and took them to her office. Everyone at her office loved them and complimented her on what a thoughtful romantic husband she had. She HATED it. She thinks purchased flowers are a total waste of money. She had to sit me down and explain it. Now if she gets flowers they are from the garden or wildflowers. I still get to give flowers and she gets ones she likes.

Communication is crucial

This is your opportunity to sit him down and explicitly tell him that the spuds (or similar things) would be a great gift. Sometimes the male gender is a little slow on figuring these things out and need to have it explained (sometimes repeatedly)

For my wife's 30th birthday (some years ago) I bought what I thought (based on my own tastes) was an incredibly romantic gift - 30 dozen roses (360). Now it was a bit of a splurge (although I got them for far less than retail) and took them to her office. Everyone at her office loved them and complimented her on what a thoughtful romantic husband she had. She HATED it. She thinks purchased flowers are a total waste of money. She had to sit me down and explain it. Now if she gets flowers they are from the garden or wildflowers. I still get to give flowers and she gets ones she likes.

Communication is crucial

I think he knows and shouldn't take advice from his daughter who really doesn't know me that well. I'm sure she thought it was good advice and perhaps would be to many folks!

Husband brought home champagne and roses. Our middle son helped him go get it, since he has problems getting around. Then he made me a card and listed some of the things he remembers over the last 35 years. So sweet.
I had a card and his favorite candies waiting....Dove dark chocolate, Swedish fish, and black licorice. We had Mexican takeout. They screwed up our order, but we made do.

Sentry18 that's a wonderful plan for the evening. I hope you have photos to post here.

Hope the rest of you had a good day, and sorry for the ones here that mentioned things not going so well. After I was married I was able to have what I wanted for Valentine's Day, Birthday or Christmas as long as I picked out the right thing and bought it myself, and such. Today was not different from any other day.

Apparently my wife is considerably better at poker than I gave her credit for. So I think I have everything in motion and my plan is foolproof. Wife comes home from work going on and on about how much she loved the flowers I sent her. I get her talked into a (not-so) "impromptu" Valentine's Day date night. She quickly gets ready and we get in her car (my first mistake) and she starts talking about how she doesn't want to go to her favorite restaurant after all, but would rather go to the new upscale restaurant that just opened inside the lobby of a new local upscale hotel. I am trying to steer her heavily to the old tried and true place talking about how I have reservations... we would never get in to the new place... it is probably going to be a 2 hour wait... and so on. She continues driving to the new place as I continue trying to talk her into the going to her supposedly favorite place. Meanwhile I am texting my oldest and my Pastor telling them things are not going as planned and to let people know we might be delayed. My wife finally says she just wants to check out the new place real quickly and then we will go to the other place, likely in an attempt to reduce my anxiety. We arrive and sure enough they are packed with a full lobby. We look around a bit and I try and urge her back out the door. Instead she walks over to the front desk of the hotel and asks if she can check out a room. If I had any hair I would have pulled it out right then and there. The clerk says they have a staged demo room on the 2nd floor if she wants to see it. My wife says "yes please" and quickly fills out a form and receives a swipe card. She turns to me and says "Let's just go check it out, we have plenty of time". Arrrgghh. Meanwhile my daughter has still not replied to my text that we are no longer on schedule and neither has our Pastor. I begrudgingly go to the second floor with her and find this demo room, my wife swipes the card and we walk inside. All the while she is talking about how maybe someday we can have an overnight get-a-way here.

The room is very very nice and crazy big. There is a Happy V-Day banner, some flowers, a bottle of wine, two glasses, a built in Jacuzzi, king size bed with two red heart shaped pillows, two big white fluffy robes, etc., etc. I am thinking it is some kind of staged Valentine's Day packages. Then I notice MY suitcase is sitting on the rack, open, with my toiletry bag and some of my clothes in it. Right next to it is my wife's suitcase with her stuff in it. I look at her and she says "Your wife is always two steps ahead, no worries... just let it happen". As I am processing this someone knocks at the door and my wife goes to open it. A man pushes in a silver cart and starts putting plates with silver covers on the table, etc. He lights a candle, opens the wine, my wife signs his book and he leaves. She double locks the door, walks back in and says "You wanted to renew our vows, I wanted to renew our honeymoon". Before I can even say anything she says "Everyone knows we won't be there and the kids are all out having pizza right now". And that's where I stop telling this story. ;) Other than to reveal that apparently my daughters cannot keep a secret when their mother goes into interrogation mode and I was 45 minutes late to work this morning. And by the way we are apparently going to renew our vows on the deck of the same cruise ship we took on our honeymoon next year on our anniversary. Something else she already had planned. I should have known something was up when my wife was so giddy and lovey-dovey on the 13th.

I didn't take any pics in the hotel, but here we are about 4 years ago during another impromptu get-a-way in a small condo in Door County, WI.

pic.jpg

Apparently my wife is considerably better at poker than I gave her credit for. So I think I have everything in motion and my plan is foolproof. Wife comes home from work going on and on about how much she loved the flowers I sent her. I get her talked into a (not-so) "impromptu" Valentine's Day date night. She quickly gets ready and we get in her car (my first mistake) and she starts talking about how she doesn't want to go to her favorite restaurant after all, but would rather go to the new upscale restaurant that just opened inside the lobby of a new local upscale hotel. I am trying to steer her heavily to the old tried and true place talking about how I have reservations... we would never get in to the new place... it is probably going to be a 2 hour wait... and so on. She continues driving to the new place as I continue trying to talk her into the going to her supposedly favorite place. Meanwhile I am texting my oldest and my Pastor telling them things are not going as planned and to let people know we might be delayed. My wife finally says she just wants to check out the new place real quickly and then we will go to the other place, likely in an attempt to reduce my anxiety. We arrive and sure enough they are packed with a full lobby. We look around a bit and I try and urge her back out the door. Instead she walks over to the front desk of the hotel and asks if she can check out a room. If I had any hair I would have pulled it out right then and there. The clerk says they have a staged demo room on the 2nd floor if she wants to see it. My wife says "yes please" and quickly fills out a form and receives a swipe card. She turns to me and says "Let's just go check it out, we have plenty of time". Arrrgghh. Meanwhile my daughter has still not replied to my text that we are no longer on schedule and neither has our Pastor. I begrudgingly go to the second floor with her and find this demo room, my wife swipes the card and we walk inside. All the while she is talking about how maybe someday we can have an overnight get-a-way here.

The room is very very nice and crazy big. There is a Happy V-Day banner, some flowers, a bottle of wine, two glasses, a built in Jacuzzi, king size bed with two red heart shaped pillows, two big white fluffy robes, etc., etc. I am thinking it is some kind of staged Valentine's Day packages. Then I notice MY suitcase is sitting on the rack, open, with my toiletry bag and some of my clothes in it. Right next to it is my wife's suitcase with her stuff in it. I look at her and she says "Your wife is always two steps ahead, no worries... just let it happen". As I am processing this someone knocks at the door and my wife goes to open it. A man pushes in a silver cart and starts putting plates with silver covers on the table, etc. He lights a candle, opens the wine, my wife signs his book and he leaves. She double locks the door, walks back in and says "You wanted to renew our vows, I wanted to renew our honeymoon". Before I can even say anything she says "Everyone knows we won't be there and the kids are all out having pizza right now". And that's where I stop telling this story. ;) Other than to reveal that apparently my daughters cannot keep a secret when their mother goes into interrogation mode and I was 45 minutes late to work this morning. And by the way we are apparently going to renew our vows on the deck of the same cruise ship we took on our honeymoon next year on our anniversary. Something else she already had planned. I should have known something was up when my wife was so giddy and lovey-dovey on the 13th.

I didn't take any pics in the hotel, but here we are about 4 years ago during another impromptu get-a-way in a small condo in Door County, WI.

pic.jpg

:D:cool: LOL, looks like you still had a great Valentines Day. Plus your plan is still going to happen to boot. Win win.:)

Like the pics of you and your pretty wife.:heart::thumbs up:

pic.jpg
Your original idea was incredible, but this was even better!

You two are something out of the most romantic fairytale ever!!!! Color me soooooo jealous!!!!!!
I seriously think this is the best thread EVER and the most amazing story of love I’ve ever read!
You two are perfect for each other! AND a very good looking couple!

blush.gif

I don't know about all that, but our kids do complain all the time about the love-fest that is our life together.

Back